Full Time Teaching Position for Native English Speakers in Phnom Penh, Cambodia: $400

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Full Time Teaching Position for Native English Speakers in Phnom Penh, Cambodia: $400

Post by that genius »

This guy is a clown, sorry to say.

Another misguided/scamming NGO type

Go home
AmericanSteve
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Full Time Teaching Position for Native English Speakers in Phnom Penh, Cambodia: $400

Post by AmericanSteve »

I agree.

Anything under $1500 pm plus visa/WP etc is a joke.

For specific subjects like Science etc. I think you should be asking close to $2K/month
The problem is child support. Personally, I'm ok with $24,000 per year. I can petition the court to modify support orders but a judge would want to know why I have to Cambodia and take a pay cut of over 50%. For no particular reason, I'd need a minimum salary of $30,000 per year.
To gladly teach and gladly learn.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

that genius wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:37 pm
finbar wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:32 pm
It's interesting that the poster has since deleted his own comments about people who don't work 12 hours a day, seven days a week (like him) being lazy.
It's a bit different working all hours when you get to keep all the resulting upside (profits and value of the business), versus doing it for a fixed salary which itself is held down by the fact other people are also competing to work otherwise they'd starve.
You are a moron.

Read the Labour Act, clown.
That Genius, while your post isn't the most horrific thing I've ever read online today, it's the exact reason you're often getting into needless feuds with fellow members here. Name calling, twice, just because you don't agree with someone is not needed. Luckily, you ruffled none of Finbar's feathers and he replied to your nonsense in a very civil manner, but it could have deteriorated into yet another slagging contest we would have to clean up.

Take 24 hours off and lay off the pointless name-calling when you disagree with people. Thanks.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
JohnLeonard
Expatriate
Somalia

Post by JohnLeonard »

Well anything less than 1,500 USD is not acceptable compared to the hours required, it doesn't seem like this dude is looking for quality, he simply asks for cheap labor with that salary, its not good advertisement for the parents to send their children there.
Cat playing her favorite game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD7_GRm4xR8
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

The money would be acceptable for 2-3 hours per day for someone semi-retired. As it is, hiring Indians is not going to make Khmer parents flock to sign up. The school is on the way out and unless the owner is prepared to pay decent salaries for decent staff , it's over rover.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

General Mackevili wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:46 pm
that genius wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:37 pm
finbar wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:32 pm
It's interesting that the poster has since deleted his own comments about people who don't work 12 hours a day, seven days a week (like him) being lazy.
It's a bit different working all hours when you get to keep all the resulting upside (profits and value of the business), versus doing it for a fixed salary which itself is held down by the fact other people are also competing to work otherwise they'd starve.
You are a moron.

Read the Labour Act, clown.
That Genius, while your post isn't the most horrific thing I've ever read online today, it's the exact reason you're often getting into needless feuds with fellow members here. Name calling, twice, just because you don't agree with someone is not needed. Luckily, you ruffled none of Finbar's feathers and he replied to your nonsense in a very civil manner, but it could have deteriorated into yet another slagging contest we would have to clean up.

Take 24 hours off and lay off the pointless name-calling when you disagree with people. Thanks.
No feathers ruffled and my reply was that Genius appears to have completely misread/misinterpreted my post.
What I was saying it's that it's easy to be a workaholic, and therefore to call other people lazy, if you are the owner of a business and stand to reap all the profits.
For the people you employ, who just get a fixed salary, well that's why we have unions, labor laws, etc, so that they aren't forced to work ridiculous hours for peanuts.
If that's not the case (misread my post) and Genius is actually a dog-eat-dog libertarian, well then we're going to disagree.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
AmericanSteve
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by AmericanSteve »

A teacher of Mathematics to teach Cambridge KS3, KS4 IGCSE Mathematics and Additional Mathematics. An ability to teach AS/A Level Chemistry or Physics would be an advantage.
This is a posting from TES for International School of Siam Reap, which claims to be accredited by the University of Cambridge International Examinations Board. They are offering US$ 18,000 per year and want someone qualified and willing to teach upper primary to upper secondary.

Are they out of their fucking minds!

Teachers train to teach either primary or secondary. The needs of the student in primary are completely different than the needs of students in secondary and teachers receive training specific to those needs. Here's a school that wants the best of both worlds AND wants it at a discount.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Cambodia is for the very young newly qualified teacher looking to get a few years international teaching experience or for retired teachers looking to supplement their income.
To gladly teach and gladly learn.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I got tired of the OP on PPJA referring to others as lazy and greedy if they wouldn't work for that rate under those conditions, and it was getting a little feisty in the comments section, so I locked the thread.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic