Losing our house

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Losing our house

Post by Jacobincambodia »

So...we are about to become the latest victims of the real estate chaos here in Sihanoukville. I've explored the groups and haven't seen any recent posts regarding houses for rent. Am I screwed or is there hope? We've got a beautiful home right now --4 bedroom, 1 story. Huge space outside, grass, etc, for only $700 a month for the last two years. Landlord has renigged on his agreement on 2 more years as he desperately needs to sell it. Really frustrating. Oh well. Any guidance on potential properties would be appreciated!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Losing our house

Post by StroppyChops »

Can't help, but all the best with finding the right place for you and your family. "Desperately needs to sell" = price he can't resist from buyers from a nearby country?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

My friend, who charters his sailboat in snv, has had to move 2 x in the last year cause his landlords have sold their places
Do you need be in snv?
Seen lots of nice places Kampot for that price an less
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

You need four bedrooms? Or is it a nice have? Because they are going for $1200 a month now. If there's just you and your kid then a two bed would probably be ok but it'll be 3-400. You a member of the facebook groups for property here? If you are willing to pay for a four bed then if the Chinese guy doesn't come through I'll have a place for you. You could also try Kleang Ler as that's where we're migrating to, out of necessity really.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

In-laws just let their 4 bedroom, Khmer style shopfront; below the brewery, in O Muay for $1800/ month...

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Barang chgout wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:51 pm In-laws just let their 4 bedroom, Khmer style shopfront; below the brewery, in O Muay for $1800/ month...

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
I assume it comes with a Lexus and driver, and house staff, for that much.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

Honestly you'd be better off moving your entire family and their extended family out of there, it would probably be cheaper.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

This is a story I've heard so many times over the past couple of years from Sihanoukville. Unfortunate, and depressing as there's no reason to believe why it couldn't eventually happen everywhere else. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

John Bingham wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:30 pm This is a story I've heard so many times over the past couple of years from Sihanoukville. Unfortunate, and depressing as there's no reason to believe why it couldn't eventually happen everywhere else. :?
It won't happen anywhere else in Cambodia on the massive scale it's happening in Sihanoukville, the Chinese are basically colonizing it as one of their overseas posts for their international business,
other places don't have huge ports, so are of no interest to the Chinese, except Phnom Penh which is the capital which is of interest to them for being the center of gov't.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

superferret wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:00 pm ....except Phnom Penh ....
That's a pretty big exception there... :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic