Open letter to newbies (especially Cannabistourist)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Open letter to newbies (especially Cannabistourist)

Post by chkwoot »

Our next door neighbor was a programmer for some big company, but in his free time he was working on a database for pharmacies. Store and update info. Print labels. Easy shit today, but this was in 1975. After playing with "my" toy a little while, he gave me a job entering his program and punching the fan fold paper tape (I think he had a shitty Altair 8800, or something older, but I forget). Boring as hell, but I was getting a couple of bucks an hour to listen to music, flip those damn switches millions of times, watch those pretty lights flash, and make sure the paper tape didn't fall into a messy tangled pile. Not bad for a 13 year old. (Looking back, I realize that is when I started to really love hardware, but hate programming. This was confirmed when I took Cobol and Fortran courses in '80.) A little while later my father got a second hand super special tape recorder to connect to our 8080. Paper tape was soooooo 1960's. Sheesh.

Thanks for the pleasant derailment! Most people have no clue what amazing technology is literally in their hands, because they never were involved with the precursors of 30-40 years ago.

Fun fact (for old nerds like me): The original IMSAI 8080 used in "War Games" is up for sale!

It is currently appraised at over $25,000, potentially making it the most expensive "personal computer" ever! It is widely considered one of the top five "Movie Computers" of all time, and the only one which was a real commercial product!
https://www.imsai.net/movies/wargames.htm

Mods: feel free to move these posts to a new thread titled "Old Farts Talking About Nerdy Stuff - NO TROLLING SOCKS OR SNOWFLAKES ALLOWED!". Thanks you berry mutt.
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
Roadrunner.Elmer
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Roadrunner.Elmer »

fax wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:16 pm Every year lives are ruined by that shit. I hope you can reconsider and be open minded about less dangerous things. Meth causes permanent brain damage and psychosis and stuff, it's not good. Please stay away from crystals. It's one thing the old farts are right about.
Those old farts had to survive this long for reason!
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

No offense but if I was the CEO admin I'd be worried about this thread, it could be used against you by authorities.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

what specifically?
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:00 am what specifically?
Discussion on acquiring controlled substances, I'm no expert, but it strikes me as something they could use against you.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

maybe work on your reading comprehension.
no mods or admin are advocating anything of the kind.
quite the reverse in fact
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I would like to comment that I am vegan and also vape, and would like to let my fellow CEO members know that we shouldn't do drugs, mkay. Please make sure you follow all Cambodian laws at all times and wear a helmet when you are on a motorbike, even if you are the passenger.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

What's lead the OP to pontificate? Clearly, he don't know nothin' i.e. he knows something he felt compelled to tell the newbie stoners... but why? I don't know nothin' either and I's a English teacher. I's here to learn Cambojuns to talk English good... and smoke medicinal marijuana (after all, drugs are bad).
:hattip:
You could be next.
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 am What's lead the OP to pontificate? Clearly, he don't know nothin' i.e. he knows something he felt compelled to tell the newbie stoners... but why? I don't know nothin' either and I's a English teacher. I's here to learn Cambojuns to talk English good... and smoke medicinal marijuana (after all, drugs are bad).
:hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic