Cambodian 'lese majeste' law proposed for insults to the monarchy

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Cambodian 'lese majeste' law proposed for insults to the monarchy

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

that genius wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 6:19 pm I don't get it.

Can you explain it in words of one syllable?
Umm, no.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 6:39 pmUmm, no.
Ah! Now I get it!

Very good!
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

that genius wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 6:49 pm
Heng Heng Heng wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 6:39 pmUmm, no.
Ah! Now I get it!

Very good!
Yeah, but what about the chicken rice joint with no royal photos? Have you noticed a trend emerging?
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

it has begun;;;;
Cambodia makes first arrest using new royal insult law
PHNOM PENH: A 50-year-old teacher has been arrested in Cambodia for allegedly insulting the monarchy in a comment posted on Facebook, police said on Sunday, the first such arrest since the country adopted a royal insult law earlier this year.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asean/ ... insult-law
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Would not be surprised if there are more arrests coming up.
A lawmaker for ruling CPP and president of Union of Youth Federations of Cambodia has called on all relevant authorities to arrest suspects after doctored pictures were used to insult the King.
Hun Many on Sunday wrote on his Facebook page requesting that all relevant authorities take measures against anyone who insulted King Norodom Sihamoni.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50489570/h ... -the-king/
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

70yo barber arrested for lese-majeste offense in Siem Reap.
Cambodian Police Arrests a Barber in Siem Reap for Insulting the King
21/05/18
Siem Reap (FN), May 20 – Siem Reap provincial police, on Saturday, arrested a 70-year old barber for insulting the King on his Facebook account “Ban Samphy” on May 13, 2018.

On May 20 , the court issued a verdict to temporarily detain him.

The barber admitted that on May 13, 2018 at 6:40 p.m, he used "Ban Samphy” account to distribute images and content that insulted the King from other Facebook account named “Khmer Thatcher”, as he was dissatisfied with the King.
Cambodia's Penal Code stipulated that “insulting the King will be subjected to one to five years imprisonment and a fine between $500 to $2,500”.
=FRESH NEWS
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

wow,busted a teacher and a barber, good job
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia Jails 70-Year-Old in First Conviction for Royal Insult
By Reuters
Oct. 5, 2018
PHNOM PENH — A Cambodian court has jailed a 70-year-old barber for seven months over a violation of the country's royal insult law, the first such conviction since the law was adopted this year.

A court found Ban Samphy, 70, a member of the dissolved opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), guilty on Thursday after he shared a Facebook post about King Norodom Sihamoni in May, his daughter, Ang Vongpheak, 45, said.

"He was sentenced to a year in prison for insulting the king but only seven months will be enforced," Yin Srang, a spokesman for the court in the northern province of Siem Reap, told Reuters. He did not elaborate.
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2018/10 ... crime.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

If they're looking for ways to secure the future of the monarchy, why don't they look towards the UK? Our culture towards the monarchy was similar in many ways to that of the Thai monarchy when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's. The national anthem (God save the Queen) would be played at all public events. It would be played on TV every night when the TV channels closed down, accompanied with propaganda video of the Queen (similar to what they show in Thai cinemas before the movie) and even when you went somewhere with live music, the last song that the band would play would be God save the Queen, and we all had to stand while it was being played.

As the 80's generation took hold, somebody realised that this couldn't go on for much longer and that the public were becoming much more cynical and would soon start rebelling against having the monarchy thrust down their throat at every opportunity, so they decided to change tact. I guess at that point, they could have gone down the 'lese majeste' route, but instead decided to back off a bit, get friendly with some powerful PR and media gurus and get them to tell us how much the nation adored them.

It seems to have worked wonders. There is still a large minority of Brits who would prefer the monarchy was abolished (including myself, if you haven't already guessed) but if it were a choice, I think this way of securing a monarchy is clearly far more effective than imprisoning people for speaking out against it.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

December 19, 2018
Man tried for insulting, threatening to kill King
Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday tried a chicken vendor for insulting and threatening to kill King Norodom Sihamoni in a Facebook post in June.

Judge Theam Chanpiseth identified the accused as Eang Chulsar, 26, living in Chamkar Mon district.
He said the accused was charged with insulting the King and also issuing a death threat, noting he faces at least five years in jail if convicted.

Sok Borin, as police officer with the Interior Ministry’s anti-cybercrimes department, yesterday testified that on June 13, the accused publicly posted photos of His Majesty the King Norodom Sihamoni and Queen Norodom Monineath Sihanouk.

He said that Mr Chulsar also wrote the following words in his post: “Take drug. I want to kill the King because he is useless. A Dog King. He knows nothing. It is better if he died.”

Mr Borin said that after reading the post many Facebook users criticised and condemned the accused.

He added that based on his profile photo and given address, police traced the accused and on June 15 arrested him at his rental house in Boeng Keng Kang II commune.

During yesterday’s trial, the accused admitted committing the offence and confessed that he was drug user. He said that he wrote the post insulting the King while he was high on drugs.

“On the day that I wrote the Facebook post which insulted the King, I had smoked a small package of crystal meth,” Mr Chulsar told the court. “I became nervous due to drug overuse and did not know what I was doing.”

“I now deeply regret my actions and would like to ask for a pardon from His Majesty the King and the Queen,” he added. “I promise that I will not use drugs any more or repeat the offence.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50560801/m ... kill-king/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic