Phnom Penh Skytrain in the pipeline...

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh Skytrain in the pipeline...

Post by Kammekor »

When I think about the disruption the construction of the Toul Kork fly-over caused I can only imagine what a sky train construction on Monivong will do to Phnom Penh traffic...

Starting with actual traffic law enforcement and actual driving tests is the only way IMHO. The fact each and every driver in Phnom Penh (and beyond) explains every traffic law to his or her own advantage makes traffic as a whole extremely inefficient. And dangerous.
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: PP Skytrain in the pipeline...

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:51 pm
Duncan wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:16 pm They built a new light rail system in my home town Gold Coast Queensland about two years ago. When a light rail has to mix with other cars as well as pedestrians
it becomes the '' bully '' and everything gives way to it or else. Not only is it expensive to run in the terms of salary's, it uses road space so nothing else can use it. Gone are all those parking spaces.
I know that light rail system, it's rubbish - cheap alternative to a working monorail system.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

They tried with the city buses to get people off the road, but they seem to be running around mostly empty. Despite the lack of parking, people still go door to door. A monorail would be cool, but perhaps a subway system under existing roads would be better.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: PP Skytrain in the pipeline...

Post by epidemiks »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:53 am
timmydownawell wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 am
So the red line will run up Sisowath Quay/Riverside? Will ruin the ambience a bit for tourists! Better for it to run up Norodom?
I think it would go up Sothearos. Then north of 154 it would have to follow Riverside to the Night Market where it would turn left and follow 108.
Something like this?

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:36 pm They tried with the city buses to get people off the road, but they seem to be running around mostly empty. Despite the lack of parking, people still go door to door. A monorail would be cool, but perhaps a subway system under existing roads would be better.

No, I use the city bus quite often and there are times when there has been standing room only. In fact the one that comes and goes to the airport often leaves waiting passengers behind cause there is no more room to stand. In those cases the driver or the girl collecting cash /handing out the tickets lets every one travel for free.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

it took a long time to build BUT it works in Bangkok and is used by tens of thousands everyday
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:32 pm it took a long time to build BUT it works in Bangkok and is used by tens of thousands everyday

Yep, I like the Bangkok skytrain and I often wonder just how high up in height it is when you see all those buildings below you. Certainly does not interfere with most of the other traffic like a train at ground level .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kammekor wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:09 pm When I think about the disruption the construction of the Toul Kork fly-over caused I can only imagine what a sky train construction on Monivong will do to Phnom Penh traffic...
Sure, the very simple flyover on Russian Boulevard over Hanoi St must have taken a couple of years already and it's only about 250 meters long.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Duncan wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:18 pm
No, I use the city bus quite often and there are times when there has been standing room only. In fact the one that comes and goes to the airport often leaves waiting passengers behind cause there is no more room to stand. In those cases the driver or the girl collecting cash /handing out the tickets lets every one travel for free.
Yesterday there were a lot of Chinese tourists on the number 3 and it was standing room only going to the airport. They had a nasty shock when they saw the road they had to cross at the airport.
Other than the number 3, I have not seen many passengers on the buses. I see the number 2 on Norodom many times with few passengers. Great service, however. Reasonably reliable, except in peak hours and super cool and pretty quick.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

So the train will go down Sihanouk and past HS's residence? He's already complained about noisy traffic, surely have a train trundling by at all hours won't impress him.

Artist's impression of the independence stop:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic