The CEO dilemma

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The CEO dilemma

Post by EdinWigan »

Maybe, the Colloseum is not about who uses it but about, permitted the option too vote with our keyboards NOT to use it, would send out a clear , though non-confrontational message, that that sort of negative behaviour has been left in a forum of the past and does not form part of this new and happy on-line world? A message by its members too its members.

In time it will become an unused small area of the forum, re-enforcing the message that nice is nice and members are a valued and an integral part of this forums direction.

Just a thought

Morning everyone btw
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

The issue is it seems that some people have come here looking for something less cleaned-up and PC, while others have come here looking for something friendlier and more inclusive. I am not sure how both of these these groups can be balanced, but I sincerely hope it can be done.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I hope this site stays as unmoderated as possible! And with the "young bloods" currently involved, I'm optimistic!
Me too. Haha, thanks, I think us young bucks can actually pull this off! !
...a thing i find distasteful is unwarranted negative speculation regarding deceased persons unknown to posters.

...to find a bunch of hyena's gloating and making sport of the victim is extremely painful- particularly when posters impute very base motives to circumstances surrounding the death without any real evidence.
Well, I definitely think we should be allowed to discuss people who die, especially once they're in the news. I also have no problem with speculating, as long as it's done in a way that's not to insult the dead.

If another 25 year old tourist is found dead in their room, and the police say it's from "heart attack," I think we can go in there and debate it until the cows come home.

That said, we've already found out that embassies even forward links to the families sometimes if they want to look into it.

So deaths should be open for discussion, but must remain respectful at the same time (even if their lifestyle that some don't approve of lead to their death, etc).

And that's just out of respect to their families and friends.

Definitely don't want the "hyenas" you speak of on a thread about the dead. It's one thing to speculate, it's another to gloat about and make sport of it, as you put it.
hypocrisy in general is a rather ugly character trait.
Yep. Again, another thing we don't want here. And I'm aware that being admin here holds us at even a higher standard in this regard, so it's important we lead by example.

I think the CEO community will soon come to realize that The Dragon and I are very serious about this project and we are more than well aware that this will take a lot of work and commitment to succeed.

We're also not afraid of criticism and have already shown our appreciation for feedback and ideas from everyone.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

giblet wrote:The issue is it seems that some people have come here looking for something less cleaned-up and PC, while others have come here looking for something friendlier and more inclusive. I am not sure how both of these these groups can be balanced, but I sincerely hope it can be done.
Yep, and everyone knows it will be impossible to please everyone.

If I had to sum up our vision for CEO in one word it would be this:

Less negativity. (dammit, that's 2 words)

We have no plans to turn this into the Cambodia Parents Network (another group that has their own thing going on, and I quite like).

I believe it's very easy to have a fun and exciting forum that focuses on Cambodia, just WITHOUT the "negativity."

And that doesn't require us to make it all PC in order to get rid of the negativity. :twisted:

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Soi Dog wrote:This site was started in response to bannings and thread/post deletions by admin and mods at that evil forum. I get that.
I just noticed this particular part...

I would like to point out that when we started CEO, I was not banned. Hell, I was even offered the position of a Moderator on K440 soon after we started.

The moment that made me decide I wanted to do something different was when a particular Admin on K440 posted PM's between other users in an attempt to publicly humiliate one of them.

That to me is kind of a deal breaker.

The morality of that doesn't even warrant a discussion, IMHO.

I don't care what line you draw, that crosses it.

Soon after that, The Dragon and I got together and decided we'd create CEO and run it the way we think a forum should be run. So far the responses have been great!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
badboybubby
Expatriate
Australia

Post by badboybubby »

OrangeDragon wrote:
Public response/peer pressure will be the driving tool in moderating poster quality... meaning that at the end of the day YOU control what kind of forum this is.
yep..as they say the organisation is only as good as it's members etc...you need to set the tone though...

personally i didn't like some of the public lynchings on the other side sometimes justified as in the "public interest" though often to me it came across and felt like gratuitous indulgence..

interesting times..
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

EdinWigan wrote:There is a need for bone cutting banter, so maybe we should have 'The Colosseum' an area where you enter at your own risk and all gloves are off. Obviously, what happens in the Colosseum, stays in the Colosseum.
That sounds like a good place for the Gun Control debates, and any discussion about Cambodian Politics which includes input from
OrangeDragon.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

OrangeDragon wrote:Public response/peer pressure will be the driving tool in moderating poster quality...
Are you kidding? Frying Chicken already has a Karma of negative 6. And, he's loving it! :plus1:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Username Taken wrote: Are you kidding? Frying Chicken already has a Karma of negative 6.
Ha! Note taken. I honestly hadn't noticed that, so thanks for pointing that out.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Username Taken wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:Public response/peer pressure will be the driving tool in moderating poster quality...
Are you kidding? Frying Chicken already has a Karma of negative 6. And, he's loving it! :plus1:
Early days still but when (if) his Karma gets to ... say -50, wouldn't it be fun to tie him to a rocket and shoot him to the heavens.
After a fair and balanced impeachment of course. Or a less drastic sentence ... like a public flogging in the village square.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic