Group of Foreigners Plan to Participate in Cambodia's Water Festival Boat Race 2018

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Group of Foreigners Plan to Participate in Cambodia's Water Festival Boat Race 2018

Post by General Mackevili »

Maybe there are foreigners participating every year in Cambodia's Water Festival Boat Races, but I've never noticed that, if so.

A group of expats look to be planning a team this year, although they seem unsure if foreigners have been banned from the races or not.

ImageImage

"Hello all

I'm trying to find people who might be interested in organising or joining a dragon boating team to race during this year's Water Festival.

For those of you who don't know during the Annual Water Festival celebrating the end of the wet season there is an annual dragon boat race on the Tonle Sap River during the 3 day national holiday (Nov 21-23).

Boats race down from the Japanese Bridge to just in front of the Royal Palace. It is mayhem as hundreds of boats compete in the races but it is a hell of a lot of fun.

The last time I did it was way back in 2005 it was really awesome fun. We weren't very serious (we totally got our arses kicked), it gave the Khmer crowd something laugh and cheer at and you got to be part of something uniquely Khmer.

On the organising side I have no idea where to even begin to organise something like this (especially sourcing a boat) so if anyone out there has experience or know how in organising, your assistance would be most welcome!

So if you are interested in joining the team or helping me in organising please PM/email me or if you know of other people who might be interested please share/forward this to them.

Also if anyone has links to volunteer or intern programs (e.g. AVI, UN/ECCC interns, peace corp,VSO, fellowships etc.) could you please forward this email to them as in previous years volunteers/interns were very interested in participating.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Justin"

Some comments from others:

Borrowing or renting a boat (that floats) will be the toughest part. The boats are hangared at pagodas, start looking and asking.

Are foreigners allowed to take part? If they are, I'm in.

Justin-Im interested-keep us posted with what you find!

Hey, I took part in the water festival 2 years ago on 'team barang' which was organised by SRIS (siem reap international school). They seemed to have borrowed a boat and we had 2/3 khmers with us who could actually row. I would start by contacting the school. also, this was in SR so maybe rules are more lax there. However, if this thing gets going i'm in!

This is a very good experience. I did it in 2009 in Siem Reap. One of the most memorable times.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Group of Foreigners Plan to Participate in the Cambodia Water Festival Boat Race 2018

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yeah, barang have competed in these races before. A few lost their lives some years back, iirc.
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Group of Foreigners Plan to Participate in Cambodia's Water Festival Boat Race 2018

Post by Stiliko »

Jerry Atrick wrote:Yeah, barang have competed in these races before. A few lost their lives some years back, iirc.
Singaporeans
Bodies of six men missing after boat race recovered in Cambodia
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/w ... 67199.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Group of Foreigners Plan to Participate in Cambodia's Water Festival Boat Race 2018

Post by bolueeleh »

other countries like hong kong or singapore , yes, cambodia with their half fuck rescue or marshall boats and safety procedures, hell no
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic