Brand new oknha charged with death threats

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Brand new oknha charged with death threats

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Tycoon charged with death threats
May 18, 2018
Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday charged a Royal Cambodia Armed Forces senior officer for discharging his firearm during a domestic dispute last month at his home.
Sieng Sok, deputy prosecutor, said that the accused, Hou Chamroeun, was charged with threatening to kill his wife and mother-in-law.

The incident took place on April 21 at a villa owned by the accused in Dangkao district’s Prey Sar commune.

“I sent him to the investigating judge and he was charged for violating article 233 of the criminal code,” Mr Sok said, declining to give more detail.

Mr Chamroeun, who was granted the Oknha title a week before the shooting, faces up to two years in prison and a fine of up to about $1,000 if convicted.

The accused was arrested by the Interior Ministry’s penal department about one month after the incident took place.

The accused is a high-profile public figure given his Oknha title. Mr Chamroeun and his wife, Kea Sokeang, were given the titles last month.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50491043/t ... h-threats/
Suspect and victim
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Brand new oknha charged with death threats

Post by willyhilly »

Good bloke. How much does it cost to buy the Oknea title nowadays?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

willyhilly wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:50 pm Good bloke. How much does it cost to buy the Oknea title nowadays?
My previous landlord says he paid $100,000 USD in previous years, was moaning that the price had risen to $500,000 USD per annum as of last year.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:06 pm $500,000 USD per annum
Jeez, I thought the payout was a one-off.

They have to make yearly contributions to keep the title?

I'd be expecting some serious perks to be coming my way for that kind of scratch. And he can't even get away with blasting a few harmless holes in the ceiling to keep the MIL in line? Hardly seems worth it. :whip:
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

They often get called on to ' contribute' to new projects.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Brody wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:33 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:06 pm $500,000 USD per annum
Jeez, I thought the payout was a one-off.

They have to make yearly contributions to keep the title?

I'd be expecting some serious perks to be coming my way for that kind of scratch. And he can't even get away with blasting a few harmless holes in the ceiling to keep the MIL in line? Hardly seems worth it. :whip:

Nope, it's an annual thing for most of them, and the price bump certainly hurt.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

that genius wrote:They often get called on to ' contribute' to new projects.
^ this.

Especially so in election years....

I heard the last election they were playing both sides just Incase the other team won. Cost a lot of them a lot of money.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Hearing this makes me feel a lot better about the situation. At least HE's knights are called on to show fealty. I imagine he doesn't put his hand in his pocket.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

500,000$ is the new 1 off fee for okhnaship, but everytime u see HE in some speech in some rural village promise to build a hospital or what not, the look on those okhnas sitting in the crowd is priceless
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh: In the afternoon of May 17, 2018, Kuy Sov, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge, issued a warrant for the arrest of Oknha Hou Chamroeun according to Article 233 of the Penal Code. He is presently held in Prey Sar prison, and may be sentenced from 6 months to 2 years jail and fined from 1 million to 4 million Riels for threatening to kill his wife and mother-in-law, at their home in Phnom Penh on April 21, 2018.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic