tax

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jonathanmax
Tourist
Denmark

tax

Post by Jonathanmax »

hi. If I stay in Cambodia for 12 months of the year, do I have to pay Cambodian tax on my UK sourced pension income?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: tax

Post by Username Taken »

That's a good question.

I'm going to move this thread to Ask The Expats section.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Technically, yes. Practically I very much doubt it. If you do you should be able to claim tax relief on the extra.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

The only tax I see would be for your visa :?: :?: :?:
Don't forget the water buffalo
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Jonathanmax wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:01 pm hi. If I stay in Cambodia for 12 months of the year, do I have to pay Cambodian tax on my UK sourced pension income?
no, a very big no, income was not generated in cambodia, u dont hv to pay a single cent, dont let anybody tell u other wise
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jonathanmax wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:01 pm hi. If I stay in Cambodia for 12 months of the year, do I have to pay Cambodian tax on my UK sourced pension income?
Very interesting question.
I have asked this question on the forum before. And to be fair like many things here in Cambodia it is not always that clear. Unlike Thailand! They have an agreement with the British government not to double tax a British citizen. But as far has I understand, the first worry about losing any monies is with the home Country. I do believe if you have a pension and live outside the EU countries it should be declared. Then the government will tax that money at source to the tune of 25%
I this year had to pay a sum of the same 25% on some monies in the UK before the new tax year. :facepalm:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

bolueeleh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:15 am
no, a very big no, income was not generated in cambodia, u dont hv to pay a single cent, dont let anybody tell u other wise
cambodian resident (stay over 6 months) gets taxed on worldwide income.

I know this doesn't happen in practice but that is the law.
A Cambodian resident taxpayer's worldwide salary will be subject to Cambodian Tax on Salary. For nonresidents, only the Cambodian sourced salary will be subject to Tax on Salary. The place of salary payment is not relevant in determining source.

Residency: A Cambodian resident taxpayer includes any physical person who:

- has residence in Cambodia, or
- has a principal place of abode in Cambodia, or
- is physically present in Cambodia for more than 182 days in any 12 month period ending in the current tax year.
Source: https://www.taxesforexpats.com/cambodia ... bodia.html
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

bolueeleh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:15 am
Exactly this ^ have I been told 8 years ago by an accountant from an international accountancy agency in Phnom Penh. But maybe the law has changed?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

AFAIK there is no mechanism in place for an individual to make declarations or payments on foreign sourced income. Walk into the tax office and try.

They could introduce such a mechanism at any time, but likely they won't within the next decade.

From PWC's Pocket Tax Booklet 2012:
Cambodia’s Tax on Salary rules follow internationally familiar residency and source principles. A Cambodian resident taxpayer’s worldwide salary will be subject to Cambodian Tax on Salary. For non-residents, only the Cambodian sourced salary will be subject to Tax on Salary. The place of salary payment is not considered relevant in determining source.
https://www.pwc.com/kh/en/publications/ ... 042012.pdf
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

epidemiks wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:50 pm AFAIK there is no mechanism in place for an individual to make declarations or payments on foreign sourced income. Walk into the tax office and try.

They could introduce such a mechanism at any time, but likely they won't within the next decade.

From PWC's Pocket Tax Booklet 2012:
Cambodia’s Tax on Salary rules follow internationally familiar residency and source principles. A Cambodian resident taxpayer’s worldwide salary will be subject to Cambodian Tax on Salary. For non-residents, only the Cambodian sourced salary will be subject to Tax on Salary. The place of salary payment is not considered relevant in determining source.
https://www.pwc.com/kh/en/publications/ ... 042012.pdf
A valid question would be why they use the word salary and not income......
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic