Best burger near Riverside in Phnom Penh?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Best burger near Riverside in Phnom Penh?

Post by Kayve »

Garage Bar is really good.

My favourite burget atm is "Chez Tonton" between KWest and FCC.
Don't forget the water buffalo
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Just tried a burger at Garage and it was very good. Usually I have to open up the burger and add tomato sauce but theirs had tasty caramelised onions so it didn't need it. $4.50 for regular burger, $5.50 for the same with a single slice of processed cheese (not sure that's worth it). Doesn't come with any salad or fries though. I did add some fries and they were perfectly cooked: crunchy out/soft in. So I will be back when I get my next burger hankering for sure. Bar is chill with good music.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

that genius wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:59 pm No offence, but I had to laugh at their burgers..all that sous-vide/slow-cooked semi-chef approach, and the result was...meh. Way too much reality show-style and way too little result.
I always thought the burgers at Garage were way over-hyped (especially the sous-vide method), I guess due to the owner's relationship with TOF at the time. Decent enough little place, but nothing to rave about there, food-wise.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:30 pm
that genius wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:59 pm No offence, but I had to laugh at their burgers..all that sous-vide/slow-cooked semi-chef approach, and the result was...meh. Way too much reality show-style and way too little result.
I always thought the burgers at Garage were way over-hyped (especially the sous-vide method), I guess due to the owner's relationship with TOF at the time. Decent enough little place, but nothing to rave about there, food-wise.
I completely agree, always thought they were OK but nothing to write home about. Problem is I don't have a better option, not for the price anyway.

Kampot seems to be littered with good burger places but PP is a lot harder to match all the criteria
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 2:25 pm
jaggop wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 2:20 pm
that genius wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:59 pm Hundreds of decent burgers in town, Long after Dark does a pretty good one.
Yeah, decent was probably the wrong word. I want a great burger - so yeah, I have had edible burgers at Riverside - but I am looking for something that makes me say "Wow, this is amazing" - and so far, only tried that out near TTP. So, looking for excellence at a cheap price close to me, I guess. Or I just have to bite the bullet and go all the way to Russian market once in a while
Have you had the roast beef sandwich at Buffalo Sister? It's excellent. (Also at TTP)
While not a burger, Buffalo Sister is delicious. As far as burgers, I've always liked Digby's in BKK.
jaggop
Expatriate
Denmark

Post by jaggop »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 10:04 am AussieXl is a fav of mine I normally go for the Aussie burger or a steak. Last time I was there I was a little underwhelmed with the burger . Maybe it was my failing memory, but I thought it was bigger before. Larry's is one of the few places I would go for western food near the Riverside. Buffalo Sister Sunday roasts at TTP can't be beaten anywhere in town. A 9.5 on the heart disease scale in my book. Roots and Burgers in TTP does tasty fish burgers, but I only went there once as the fries were cold. I didn't like to complain as I thought maybe cold fries is a hipster thing. Speaking of hipsters, Cousin's Burgers are excellent.

A while ago, Rustic Restaurant was rated as the number one restaurant overall in Phnom Penh on Tripadvisor. A backpacker restaurant on a backpacker street was rated better that Armand's Mali and Romdeng? The algorithm seem to be based on the number of reviews rather than the best reviews. Even though Rustic has been put in the cheap eats category and the algorithm has changed, I'll never trust Tripadvisor again.

Worst overpriced food award - Hooters in Tokyo. I had to go. Worst burger ever - KFC TTP Chicken Burger.
AussieXL definitively deteriorated during my time in PP. Burgers got smaller, ingredients got worse, but prices remained the same - and then they decided to not include the tax in the price, so you get slapped with a further 10% on already expensive burgers - so now I wouldn't go back.
Roots & Burgers I found rather underwhelming - didn't go for the fish, so that might be why.

BBJ's is a whole lot better than AussieXL is now - and with about half the price, it just seems a way better deal.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

jaggop wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:41 pm
Heng Heng Heng wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 10:04 am AussieXl is a fav of mine I normally go for the Aussie burger or a steak. Last time I was there I was a little underwhelmed with the burger . Maybe it was my failing memory, but I thought it was bigger before. Larry's is one of the few places I would go for western food near the Riverside. Buffalo Sister Sunday roasts at TTP can't be beaten anywhere in town. A 9.5 on the heart disease scale in my book. Roots and Burgers in TTP does tasty fish burgers, but I only went there once as the fries were cold. I didn't like to complain as I thought maybe cold fries is a hipster thing. Speaking of hipsters, Cousin's Burgers are excellent.

A while ago, Rustic Restaurant was rated as the number one restaurant overall in Phnom Penh on Tripadvisor. A backpacker restaurant on a backpacker street was rated better that Armand's Mali and Romdeng? The algorithm seem to be based on the number of reviews rather than the best reviews. Even though Rustic has been put in the cheap eats category and the algorithm has changed, I'll never trust Tripadvisor again.

Worst overpriced food award - Hooters in Tokyo. I had to go. Worst burger ever - KFC TTP Chicken Burger.
AussieXL definitively deteriorated during my time in PP. Burgers got smaller, ingredients got worse, but prices remained the same - and then they decided to not include the tax in the price, so you get slapped with a further 10% on already expensive burgers - so now I wouldn't go back.
Roots & Burgers I found rather underwhelming - didn't go for the fish, so that might be why.

BBJ's is a whole lot better than AussieXL is now - and with about half the price, it just seems a way better deal.
Thanks for putting my mind at rest. I remember the Aussie burger was a very impressive size. The last one I had was a good size but not, "How the fuck am I going to eat that?" That's what I liked about the Aussie; they always gave you more than enough. I was always a fan of the Aussie Palmie. I think that had downsized too. I usually pop-in every 3-4 months, but now I may not bother again.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Best burger in PP is at Lone Pine on St. 51 near St. 242. Not on Riverside but not far. High quality beef only fresh from Dan Meat. Very large number of choices and add ons. Great service and attentive owners. Lone Pine is a professional, busy restaurant. Not a bar serving food as a side business (Garage?). Try it and compare.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

cambo swa wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:48 pm Best burger in PP is at Lone Pine on St. 51 near St. 242. Not on Riverside but not far. High quality beef only fresh from Dan Meat. Very large number of choices and add ons. Great service and attentive owners. Lone Pine is a professional, busy restaurant. Not a bar serving food as a side business (Garage?). Try it and compare.
Good call, I have never had the burger there but the sandwiches (rueben) & po boys were always good at the old location. I enjoyed the mexican that it has move into too.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

yeah the burgers at Garage used to be alright
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic