Land of Smiles

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Land of Smiles

Post by yong »

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

went for some Thai food the other night in England...

Pad Thai Gai

Kaeng Khiao Wan Gai

Pad Kee Mao

Pad Ka Prao Gai
Tasted nice but nothing like real Thai food, and at 3x the ££ :suicide:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Pad Ka Prao Gai??
i dont see any kra pao
Green peppers? Capsicum?
Thats the problem with eating thai food outside Thailand, they dont only use the ingredients that are supposed to go in it but what ever they wish.

real dish, PS, one of my favorites...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:29 am Pad Ka Prao Gai??
i dont see any kra pao
Green peppers? Capsicum?
Thats the problem with eating thai food outside Thailand, they dont only use the ingredients that are supposed to go in it but what ever they wish.

yeah im fully aware of what it looks like its one of my favourite dishes with the minced pork, the UK equivilent is always like a fucking chinese dish and tastes nothing like the real thing
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

i dont see any kra pao
Green peppers? Capsicum?

Doesn't seem to be much or any grapaow in there either.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

i dont see any kra pao
Green peppers? Capsicum?

This is defiantly one of my favoured Thai dishes too. Best about these kind of foods, they can be eaten and enjoyed at any time of day. In Thailand, many times I would have for breakfast. Cost there at the time 20-30baht. There is also plenty of servings here in KK where at times I now eat for supper, price per dish start at around 5000reil. Nigel and his Thai lady have recently opened The Tavern bar and restaurant in KK town, the dish can be found there and is superbly cooked and served at just under $5. :beer3:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:00 pm
i dont see any kra pao
Green peppers? Capsicum?

yeah im fully aware of what it looks like its one of my favourite dishes with the minced pork, the UK equivilent is always like a fucking chinese dish and tastes nothing like the real thing
Not lying but a pad Thai with no meat is closer to 15X than the price of it in Los in Oz than Thailand.

Even a can of coke in 7/11 runs up to 10X the price here in Oz.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:19 pm
i dont see any kra pao
Green peppers? Capsicum?

Not lying but a pad Thai with no meat is closer to 15X than the price of it in Los in Oz than Thailand.

had some :plus1: time
BS: :stir:
Pad thai here in Kamala 60 baht ... so ur saying 900 baht.... Ozzie $ 37

Awarded Australia’s
Best Thai Restaurant 2012
Thai Royal is an authentic, family owned Thai restaurant in Toowoomba, Queensland.

The business has been established for just under 10 years and has become a favorite haunt for Toowoomba diners craving traditional Thai food.
All of our dishes are freshly prepared from scratch by our experienced chefs with the greatest of care and attention to detail. Our menu offers a range of dishes to suit all tastes and preferences.
The superior quality and flavor our the food we serve is no coincidence - Our chef, who is an owner of the business, was one of the first Thai chefs in Brisbane. He has over 30 years experience as a chef - 10 years in Thailand and 22 years in Australia.

Bet its good

Pad Thai Noodles
$14.00
Thai style rice noodles cooked with pork, prawn and nuts
served with a side topping of chilli powder, sugar

Nothing on their menu more than $22.5 ( duck dish)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:17 pm
Beerinthemorning wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:19 pm
i dont see any kra pao
Green peppers? Capsicum?

had some :plus1: time
BS: :stir:
Pad thai here in Kamala 60 baht ... so ur saying 900 baht.... Ozzie $ 37

Awarded Australia’s
Best Thai Restaurant 2012
Thai Royal is an authentic, family owned Thai restaurant in Toowoomba, Queensland.

The business has been established for just under 10 years and has become a favorite haunt for Toowoomba diners craving traditional Thai food.
All of our dishes are freshly prepared from scratch by our experienced chefs with the greatest of care and attention to detail. Our menu offers a range of dishes to suit all tastes and preferences.
The superior quality and flavor our the food we serve is no coincidence - Our chef, who is an owner of the business, was one of the first Thai chefs in Brisbane. He has over 30 years experience as a chef - 10 years in Thailand and 22 years in Australia.

Bet its good

Pad Thai Noodles
$14.00
Thai style rice noodles cooked with pork, prawn and nuts
served with a side topping of chilli powder, sugar

Nothing on their menu more than $22.5 ( duck dish)
That's the tourist price for pad Thai (60 baht).

I'n the outskirts of BKK it's closer to 1 AUD (25baht) for pad thai.....
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:56 pmThat's the tourist price for pad Thai (60 baht).

I'n the outskirts of BKK it's closer to 1 AUD (25baht) for pad thai.....
I don't think one can get any food for 25 baht here in Thailand anymore, I frequent the moo-baan and baan-nok very often I couldn't remember seeing any 25 baht meal. My office is in the outskirt of Bangkok north to be precise I've not seen any 25 baht meals here too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic