Police check for immigration purposes

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Police check for immigration purposes

Post by StroppyChops »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:19 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: It is important, if you ever intend to get a Cambodian CRC, to ensure that whenever you move into a new place you ensure that the landlord registers you with the Sangkat, if not it will be difficult getting Residence certificates down the track.

Technically, all Foreigners residing in Cambodia are supposed to be in possession of a Residence certificate...but reality is a different story.
what do residence certificates look like?

previously ive had letters which i think appear to be more of a contract, with the address etc of my place which is fingerprint signed,
ive used this to open bank accounts etc.

what is the process of registering with the Sangkat? is this something that can only be done if you own the place or is it the same for rentals?
They look like this, Punchy:

They are possibly supposed to be free, but they've always cost $20 if I've wanted them done sooner than in the next five years. Your landlord should help you with this, give him a half-dozen passport photos and tell him what you need, it's a legal requirement that the sangkat provide it on request but easier if the landlord goes. Here's the rub - your landlord needs to have his property tax paid up, and his lease agreement with you registered at the sangkat, or cannoh becaw.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^ I did the same some time ago following the good advice of PSD-Kiwi. Another document in the paper trail of business.
I arrived alone, the police where so helpful. 10.000reil It cost me.
But I agree with StroppyChops your landlord could possible help. But you should mention it too him anyway so it does not cause him/her problems with tax issues.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

I read this resurrected thread with interest.... Add to the wonderful and not corrupt Cambodia... For a fee of anywhere from $100 USD upwards, police will certify a Khmer with criminal history has none at all. For $250, they will create a fake family book under a new name. Surely foreign embassies must know this.
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Well this explains why all the trees are getting cut down, more paperwork.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

When applying for my current job I had to complete a full independent background check through a company called Accurate Background. The whole thing took less than 10 days and they somehow got a Cambodian police report confirming that I've never been arrested or charged with anything here. Due to US laws (my employer is based in San Francisco) they had to share the results of their background check with me.

From reading people's accounts here, I'm wondering if getting a background check on yourself by this company might be an easier and quicker solution. I didn't have to go anywhere to make it happen, I just had to digitally sign the consent forms for Accurate Background and they did the rest.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Bubble T wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:46 pm When applying for my current job I had to complete a full independent background check through a company called Accurate Background. The whole thing took less than 10 days and they somehow got a Cambodian police report confirming that I've never been arrested or charged with anything here. Due to US laws they had to share the results of their background check with me.

From reading people's accounts here, I'm wondering if getting a background check on yourself by this company might be an easier and quicker solution. I didn't have to go anywhere to make it happen, I just had to digitally sign the consent forms for Accurate Background and they did the rest.
It's possible they found out how difficult it would be and simply didn't do the check.

If an employer accepts their results, I guess it doesn't matter.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

epidemiks wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:49 pmIt's possible they found out how difficult it would be and simply didn't do the check.

Again, they were legally required to share the full report with me when it was completed, which is how I know it was done...
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

epidemiks wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:49 pm
Bubble T wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:46 pm When applying for my current job I had to complete a full independent background check through a company called Accurate Background. The whole thing took less than 10 days and they somehow got a Cambodian police report confirming that I've never been arrested or charged with anything here. Due to US laws they had to share the results of their background check with me.

It's possible they found out how difficult it would be and simply didn't do the check.

^ This. I have also had 3rd party background checks done, which come back clean from all of the countries I've lived and worked in, in a matter of days...there is no way they have managed to actually obtain CRC's from some of those countries! I reckon they just do a google search for media reports of a person with your name in the country they are checking :ROFL:

That's another reason to keep your name out of the media and off of forums!
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:58 pm I have also had 3rd party background checks done, which come back clean from all of the countries I've lived and worked in, in a matter of days...there is no way they have managed to actually obtain CRC's from some of those countries! I reckon they just do a google search for media reports of a person with your name in the country they are checking :ROFL:

That's another reason to keep your name out of the media and off of forums!
For the third and final time, they did get the police report and I know this because they had to include it with everything else they sent me. They also contacted my high school, every employer that was listed on my CV, and also the Swedish police because their googling gave them the impression that I may have once colluded with a convicted Swede (which they were able to confirm was in fact false, at least in any criminal sense). If you google me you find plenty of suspicious shit, fortunately this company was only interested in verifiable facts, which they took the time to get. The only part of my background they were unable to verify was a company I once worked for here which has since been bought out by a Chinese company who didn't respond to their repeated attempts to contact them.

I'm not going to bother responding to further posts on this thread as I was simply trying to offer a solution based on my own relatively recent experience, take it or leave it.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You didn't mention that you actually received a copy of the Cambodian Police Report. That's great news, and is definitely worth keeping in mind for future reference. Thank you Bubble Tea for sharing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic