Best burger near Riverside in Phnom Penh?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
jaggop
Expatriate
Denmark

Re: Best burger near Riverside in Phnom Penh?

Post by jaggop »

that genius wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 2:40 pm Half the fuckwit restaurants use buns bought at the local minimart, completely ignoring the effect of a decent bun.
And somehow they are absolutely amazing at frying the meat to Jeanne D'Arc-level, which is then camouflaged by Thousand fucking Island dressing... It is more of an art form than I was led to believe.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

Thumbs up for Rustic :thumb:
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Very few burgers in town that will make you go wow.

I recall Larry's being great but closer to $10 than 5.

Cousins was good, if it's still going, between Norodom and 51 somewhere between 214 and 172 iirc

Rubicon next to Toul Sleng did amazing Angus beef, pulled pork and chicken burgers, before they 'closed for renovations' and never returned. I think they chef/owner is involved with one of the joints down Bassac lane, le boutterie or something frenchy, if he's cooking burgers there I'd definitely check their menu.

Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Back in the day, it meant a long trip out to Mike's Burger House for a great fish and egg burger. When I go out, I don't care about the price, if I did I'd eat at Sinan. I want a meal, not a snack. AussieXl is a fav of mine I normally go for the Aussie burger or a steak. Last time I was there I was a little underwhelmed with the burger . Maybe it was my failing memory, but I thought it was bigger before. Larry's is one of the few places I would go for western food near the Riverside. Buffalo Sister Sunday roasts at TTP can't be beaten anywhere in town. A 9.5 on the heart disease scale in my book. Roots and Burgers in TTP does tasty fish burgers, but I only went there once as the fries were cold. I didn't like to complain as I thought maybe cold fries is a hipster thing. Speaking of hipsters, Cousin's Burgers are excellent.

A while ago, Rustic Restaurant was rated as the number one restaurant overall in Phnom Penh on Tripadvisor. A backpacker restaurant on a backpacker street was rated better that Armand's Mali and Romdeng? The algorithm seem to be based on the number of reviews rather than the best reviews. Even though Rustic has been put in the cheap eats category and the algorithm has changed, I'll never trust Tripadvisor again.

Worst overpriced food award - Hooters in Tokyo. I had to go. Worst burger ever - KFC TTP Chicken Burger.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
jaggop
Expatriate
Denmark

Post by jaggop »

Thanks for all the tips - I think I have my next several cravings sorted out. My mistake was probably to go to the Riverside-Riverside places that have too large menus and do none of the things very well. You know, all the places with an open area facing the river and 800 people trying to sell you books, chewing gum and trinkets during the time it takes to finish a meal.

So my next try is going to be Larry's, and after that I'll give Rustic a go. 3rd stop is going to be Garage.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I had a pork dish at Larry's once, absolutely delicious! It was run very well back then, but I have heard a few rumours it has gone downhill.

Big new restaurant opening soon in TTP, will do a report after it opens.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

The Garage burgers and hot dogs are fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Tbh I think Simon did a better burger than the one I had when jm was there.

Who runs it now, haven't been for ages?
Nanook
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Nanook »

that genius wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:29 pm I had a pork dish at Larry's once, absolutely delicious! It was run very well back then, but I have heard a few rumours it has gone downhill.

Big new restaurant opening soon in TTP, will do a report after it opens.
I ate at Larry's last week and in my opinion, it is as good as it has always been. Larry takes great pride in what comes out of his kitchen.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I’ll write restaurant reviews Larry’s and The Garage this week - I’ve been meaning to do them for ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic