Disability in Cambodia

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Disability in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Disabled Cambodian dancers shake off discrimination in Singapore
By: Cristyn Lloyd - Photography by: Hannah Hawkins - Posted on: March 20, 2018 | Cambodia

Epic Arts is a charity in Cambodia that opens up opportunities for performance and self-expression to people with disabilities. Two professional dancers from the organisation will head to Singapore this month to perform at True Colours Festival, which celebrates artistic talent from people who are differently abled.

Kim Socheat, who uses a wheelchair, and Ork Savy, who is deaf, explain how they use their art to shock audiences and change perceptions of people with disabilities.

What do you enjoy about performing?
Ork Savy: I really enjoy going out to places like Singapore and different countries because I get to show people that my team and I have skill. The audience sees the performance and they’re always surprised… They can really believe that every person is equal, and every person counts. I want the audience to understand disabilities in Cambodia...
http://sea-globe.com/disabled-cambodian ... singapore/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Disability in Cambodia

May 11, 2018
A new study shows disabled children still face challenges

A new study has found that disabled children in Cambodia still face challenges while in primary school and NGOs have urged the Education Ministry to provide more inclusive education opportunities for them.

NGO Education Partnership and Open Institute yesterday released research on an assessment of children with disabilities in accessing primary education in Cambodian in order to understand challenges, opportunities and ways forward for them.

The study surveyed 250 students with physical disabilities and 400 primary school teachers. Participants were selected from Prey Veng, Kratie, Kampot, and Battambang provinces and Phnom Penh.

According to the research, 17 percent of 250 participating disabled children had a total seeing or hearing disability, and following Ministry of Education criteria, needed to attend special education to learn communication skills – Braille or sign language – before they could attend mainstream inclusive classes.

Only 22 percent of the participants were actually enrolled in special schools or integrated classes, while half of the rest were out of school and the other half were enrolled in mainstream schools.

Of the 83 percent of participants who could directly attend mainstream schools, 72 percent of them were enrolled and attending school, 14 percent had never enrolled and 14 percent had dropped out.

Phong Kimchhoy, a research consultant from the Open Institute, said the findings showed that the main barriers to access and enrolment in mainstream schools were lack of disability identification, severe movement disability, and intellectual ability.

“For children requiring special education, the main barrier to access seems to be lack of special education facilities near their homes, especially in rural areas, and the lack of teachers trained to meet the learning needs of disabled children,” he said.

The report also showed that the dropout rate for disabled children was found to be higher than the other students, but it must be considered that 14 percent of the disabled children had not enrolled in the first place.

Teachers identified lack of training and lack of learning materials as the main barriers to providing a quality education to disabled children.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50488562/a ... hallenges/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Any kids that have a disability and are unable to walk, even if they have a wheelchair, should get a medal for tackling the everyday obsticals that are put in front of them.

Dont know how these kids would get on if there was a Lexus parked on the footpath.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9DuRR ... HUJKZnd5s-
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

I feel a lot of sympathy for disabled people traveling in S.E. Asia. One time about 5 years ago, I traveled from Mui Nei to Dalat in Vietnam. A famly with his wife were on board the min-bus / van... The poor man had to physically lift his wife into the front seat as she was wheel chair bound. When we stopped for a 20 minute break, the driver made such announcement and choofed off. The man and I helped extract the wheel chair for her and got her into it. By the time we achieved this, was already time to get back on board.... driver helped not at all and would say "hurry up". S.E. asia is not handicap friendly at all.
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Agree, but it's even less mentally-disabled friendly.

Seriously, look at all the shit I get. :wink:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

05 Jun 2018
Cambodia: So little, yet so much for people with disabilities
from International Committee of the Red Cross
Published on 05 Jun 2018 — View Original

Of Cambodia’s total population, close to 150,000 people are said to be living with disabilities. While some lost their limbs to landmines, others were affected by the armed conflicts. There are also many who were born disabled or lost the function of a limb due to illness. To help integrate them into the society, many non-governmental organizations and authorities offer financial assistance and various facilities so that those with disability can sustain themselves by earning a livelihood.

To introduce one such programme in Kampong Speu, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) recently organized a briefing session for potential beneficiaries at the physical rehabilitation centre in the province. The participants were former members of the Cambodia Women’s Wheelchair Basketball Federation who no longer play due to personal financial crises. Fortunately for them, they would be able to rebuild their lives with the grants offered by the ICRC.

Clad in a bright red floral shirt, one of the participants, Mrs. Chenda Sorn, said she became disabled when she was four years old. “We did not have medical facilities back then. I had high fever but due to inadequate medical intervention, my left hand was left paralyzed. I had lost my husband a few years ago and have to earn a living for my son and myself. This grant will allow me to open a grocery store,” she said.

Seated next to Mrs Chenda, both Mrs Sokea Yurng and Ms Vichera Touch had also become disabled due to lack of medical help when they were ailing.

Having been denied the opportunities that are typically present in the society, these women also find themselves struggling because of lack of education and the sole responsibility of raising a family.
https://reliefweb.int/report/cambodia/c ... sabilities

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Finding hope in disability
June 15, 2018
People with disabilities – those with no limbs or on wheelchairs – are not a rare sight. But we often go past them, disregarding how bad their conditions are or how they’re coping with society’s discrimination against them. But at Banteay Prieb in Kandal province, these people with disabilities – both physical and mental – are given equal opportunities to learn basic skills to regain their confidence and dignity. Agnes Alpuerto and Say Tola recently visited Bantey Prieb’s Vocational Training Center for the Disabled.

Mut Seakheng has had a normal life. He worked as a blacksmith in Kampong Cham province for a living. He didn’t have much, but he was able to do whatever he wanted to do – play basketball, go for a swim, buy from the market, do chores. But in 2011, his world turned upside down.

“I was working on some iron when I accidentally got electrocuted. I fell from a four-meter platform and went unconscious. When I woke up, I already lost one arm and injured the other,” Mr Seakheng recalls. But Mr Seakheng didn’t just lose a limb, but as well as the job he depended on for so long.

“And I lost my will to live. I suffered from depression and was even called mentally ill. I couldn’t accept what has happened to me. I was just trying to earn a living that time, but I lost the most important body part in me.”

Now 30, Mr Seakheng found a new way to live – happily and productively. He is one of the 90 students in Banteay Prieb, a center that provides complementary education to people with physical disabilities and mental challenges.

Mr Seakheng is currently on his sixth month in the center, studying agriculture along with eight other students who also have physical impairments. They sit inside a small classroom, eagerly listening as their teacher discusses the specific vaccines for pigs and poultry.

In another classroom just a few meters away from Mr Seakheng’s class, more than a dozen people are studying how to repair vehicle engines and machineries.

Two other buildings, near the main gate of the center, are divided into chambers. Each room holds different classes – electronics, phone repairs, hair and make-up, sewing, wheelchair-making and special education...
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50501089/f ... isability/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

NGO raises concern over disabled peoples’ rights
November 1, 2018
A non-governmental organisation has expressed its disappointment over the lack of enforcement of laws to ensure that people with disabilities are provided with the same opportunities to work and live in society as able-bodied people.

During a workshop in Phnom Penh today, Ngin Saorath, executive director of the Cambodian Disabled People’s Organization (CDPO), said that despite a large number of legal provisions aimed to benefit people with disability, the results are still negligible.

Khol Yuthly, deputy chief of the policy analysis and development division at the National Committee for Sub-National Democratic Development, said that the government has been doing its best to improve the lives of the disabled.

“The government has paid very close attention to the needs of disabled people in the policy decisions,” he noted. “At the national level, the government enacted laws to protect the disabled and has created awareness about problems they face.”

“We also have a number of sub-decrees requiring the private and public sector to recruit the disabled. For example, companies with up to 50 employees have to make sure that one percent are disabled people while companies employing more than 100 staff must have two percent.

According to the social affairs ministry, in early 2016, 2,576 people with disabilities worked in ministries and state institutions, representing 1.72 percent of the workforce. A further 2,124 disabled people worked in 19 private institutions.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50546323/n ... es-rights/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Ministry to manage special needs schools
November 19, 2018
Prime Minister HE yesterday announced that beginning next year the Education Ministry will manage five special schools in Phnom Penh and in the provinces of Siem Reap, Battambang and Kampong Cham.

Mr HE made the announcement during a visit to special needs children in the capital yesterday at the Krousar Thmey Centre. He said the centre will hand over all management rights to the ministry’s management department in 2019.

“Today the ministry accepts to manage one special needs school, but tomorrow, it will accept other schools,” he said, noting that the move was in response to special needs schools lacking funding. “It does not only involve NGOs, but it also involves foreign aid.”

“So the social and education sectors need to prepare to receive special needs centres – we will handling the management,” he added. “The budget on education, health and social affairs will only get bigger.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50551912/m ... s-schools/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Taking on Cambodia’s deaf stigma, one coffee at a time
By: Robin Spiess - Posted on: November 22, 2018 | Cambodia
In Kampot, a riverside town in western Cambodia, 18-year old Kim Tin used to dream about one day being employed and independent.

Born deaf, he had never been able to fully communicate with his family or friends. Though he learned as a child to make gestures and mime actions with his hands, he did not begin learning formal sign language until the age of 16. He did not go to school while growing up, didn’t know any other deaf people, and worried he would always have to rely on others for support, with few job opportunities available to him.

On Friday, with an apron wrapped around his waist, Kim Tin celebrated his recent employment at Socials Coffee and Humanity, a new socially responsible enterprise focussed on hiring and supporting Cambodia’s deaf population.

“I used to think maybe no one would hire me… I was happy when I moved to Phnom Penh, because I have a job now,” he said, signing as an interpreter translated. “I work with other deaf people, who can really understand me, and with some hearing people too. I like that we can work together.”

Socials, located inside of Phnom Penh Commercial Bank (PPC) along a main thoroughfare in Phnom Penh, is one of the only businesses in Cambodia specifically dedicated to hiring members of the deaf community; of its seven employees, three are deaf. The cafe’s founder, Swapnil Deshmukh, wants to continue this trend as new Socials coffee shops open around the city and country.

“The main objective here is social impact. There are about 50,000 registered deaf people in Cambodia, and that’s a good chunk of the job market,” he said at the cafe’s launch. “If they don’t have job prospects, it has a negative impact on this society. And we need to work together – deaf people and hearing people – to chip away at the stigma that exists here.”
https://sea-globe.com/taking-on-cambodi ... at-a-time/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic