New type expats moving to Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

New type expats moving to Cambodia

Post by phuketrichard »

from FB:

Hey ya’ll!
I’m looking for a job in the kitchen Kampot/Phnom Penh way.
I have experience in Western/Mediterranean (including Italian) and modern cuisine, - and am keen to learn more about SEA/Khmer food!

I really want to work in Cambodia as a f&b attandent

Hey there! I'm from America, and I plan on moving to Cambodia when I turn eighteen (next summer), and I'd appreciate some advice! I have always wanted to experience living in another country, and I think I've finally chosen the one.I'm thinking about getting TEFL certification, and teaching English, would you recommend this?

Hello everyone .
I plan to come to Cambodia in September earliest, in order to settle and work. I have professional experience in photography and hospitality.

Hello everyone, I recently moved to Phnom Penh. What is the best way to go about finding English teaching jobs? Are there any English centers where you can submit your Cv or do you go from school to school?

Is Cambodia safe ?

I am moving to pp in the summer. I need help finding the follow things
1. Khmer language lesson
2. Dance instrutor for salsa
3. Best sushi resturant
4. A goid tailor

Hi, I am looking for a place to do my online work in peace and quiet.
I need a room with nothing more than a table and chair.
It absolutely must be quiet between 9am and 1pm Mon-Fri (I do not need longer).
Main requirements are that it is in the Russian market or IDEALLY Boeung Tumpun area and is deathly silent.
PM me if you have anything that might suit.(I am willing to rent a small room monthly if it meets this criteria)
Last edited by phuketrichard on Thu May 10, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: New type expats moving to Cambodia

Post by taabarang »

Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds a lot like some recycled middle aged dreamers, nothing at all like us old farts.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Deathly silent? He's got the wrong country. The noise pollution here is unstoppable.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

We've actually clamped down on this type of job seeking on PPJA - "I'm wonderful (my mum tells me so) and I want a high-paying job, even though I have little or no saleable skills, and I want you all to bring the information to me, filtered and prioritised." We just delete the posts out of hand, without explanation, and if anyone complains I suggest they a) read the job ads, and b) go home to mum. The longer I'm here, the lower my tolerance for snowflakes.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

StroppyChops wrote:We've actually clamped down on this type of job seeking on PPJA - "I'm wonderful (my mum tells me so) and I want a high-paying job, even though I have little or no saleable skills, and I want you all to bring the information to me, filtered and prioritised." We just delete the posts out of hand, without explanation, and if anyone complains I suggest they a) read the job ads, and b) go home to mum. The longer I'm here, the lower my tolerance for snowflakes.
But never forget how it is for someone who just arrived. They are clueless but usually mean well. I have to remind myself how I was when I first stepped foot in Cambodia. It helps me have more patience with those who just arrived. Not always easy though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jacobincambodia wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:58 pm
StroppyChops wrote:We've actually clamped down on this type of job seeking on PPJA - "I'm wonderful (my mum tells me so) and I want a high-paying job, even though I have little or no saleable skills, and I want you all to bring the information to me, filtered and prioritised." We just delete the posts out of hand, without explanation, and if anyone complains I suggest they a) read the job ads, and b) go home to mum. The longer I'm here, the lower my tolerance for snowflakes.
But never forget how it is for someone who just arrived. They are clueless but usually mean well. I have to remind myself how I was when I first stepped foot in Cambodia. It helps me have more patience with those who just arrived. Not always easy though!
Sure, and you kinda feel for the obviously clueless ones - it's the ones that arrive with a sense of entitlement and attitude to back it up that irritate me.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:04 pm We've actually clamped down on this type of job seeking on PPJA - "I'm wonderful (my mum tells me so) and I want a high-paying job, even though I have little or no saleable skills, and I want you all to bring the information to me, filtered and prioritised." We just delete the posts out of hand, without explanation, and if anyone complains I suggest they a) read the job ads, and b) go home to mum. The longer I'm here, the lower my tolerance for snowflakes.
You tyrant! I would be so much more understanding and lenient. Shame on you!
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

StroppyChops wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:58 pm
Sure, and you kinda feel for the obviously clueless ones - it's the ones that arrive with a sense of entitlement and attitude to back it up that irritate me.
Agreed.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

taabarang wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:42 pm Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds a lot like some recycled middle aged dreamers, nothing at all like us old farts.
I know you were making a joke but always truth in humor so was curious. I wasn't positive but did you mean the difference between the middle aged dreamers and the old farts-- that the old farts are retired/semi retired?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic