Contaminated water killing Kratie villagers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Contaminated water killing Kratie villagers

Post by Barang chgout »

If it's gold, perhaps cyanide?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Chromium mining
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

violet wrote:Chromium mining
Is that a thing here? I thought it was mostly done in S.A. and India. Genuinely curious if they have deposits of chromium here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

violet wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:47 pmChromium mining
It doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but searching online I didn't find any indications of chromium mining in Cambodia. And from what I've read, seepage doesn't seem to be immediately toxic to humans.

However FYI ...
Sources of Chromium

Chromium is mined in different countries around the world (such as South Africa, Zimbabwe, Finland, India, Kazakihstan and the Philippines) as the naturally occurring form, chromate ore (FeCr2O4). Chromium is unstable in an oxygenated environment and, when exposed to air, immediately produces an oxide layer which is impermeable to further oxygen contamination.

Transport of Chromium into the Environment

Chromium enters the environment through both natural processes and human activities. Increases in Chromium III are due to leather, textile, and steel manufacturing; Chromium VI enters the environment through some of the same channels such as leather and textile manufacturing, but also due to industrial applications such as electro painting and chemical manufacturing. Groundwater contamination may occur due to seepage from chromate mines or improper disposal of mining tools and supplies, and improper disposal of industrial manufacturing equipment.

Bioavailability

Chromium can affect the air quality through coal manufacturing, which eventally can lead to water or soil contamination. Water contamination is fairly limited to surface water, and will not affect groundwater because chromium strongly attaches to soil and is generally contained within the silt layer surrounding or withing the groundwater reservoir. Water contaminated with chromium will not build up in fish when consumed, but will accumulate on the gills, thus, causing negative health effects for aquatic animals; chromium uptake results in increased mortality rates in fish due to contamination.

When consumed by animals, the effects can include "respiratory problems, a lower ability to fight disease, birth defects, infertility and tumor formation." (LennTech)

Impacts on Human Health

This pathogen is a mutagen, carcinogen, etc. It is concentrated in bone, blood, organs....

What are the tolerances? What is toxic, what is lethal?

Chromium VI (hexavalent chromium) is considered carcinogenic only to animals in certain circumstances at this point; chromium in general is currently not classified as a carcinogen as the OSHA and is fairly unregulated, but is considered toxic, level 3. While chromium III is essential for regular operation of human vascular and metabolic systems as well as combating diabetes, too much chromium III may result in severe skin rash, or other more serious symptoms.

Chromium VI is the most dangerous form of chromium and may cause health problems including: allergic reactions, skin rash, nose irritations and nosebleed, ulsers, weakened immune system, genetic material alteration, kidney and liver damage, and may even go as far as death of the individual.

There is, however, no established limit for human consumption of chromium III. Individulals have been recorded as consuming 1000mg daily for elongated periods with no negative effects; but, as with all minerals our body needs, too much consumption may result in poisoning.
https://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops ... omium.html
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Probably not unless those companies newly licensed to excavate have found some. I read they have mined chromium in the past. Pursat province has some.

Mostly like this (water issue) is in some way connected to gold mining though
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Villagers doubt changing causes of poisoning deaths
11 May 2018
Hundreds of villagers in Kratie province were hospitalised and 13 died from poisoning first blamed on contaminated water and then methanol-laced rice wine; villagers here have another theory: chemicals from gold mining run-off.

Mr Chey, 54, says he thinks he was first poisoned by herbicides and pesticides inhaled as he drove through a forest near rubber and cassava plantations, where he noticed all the vegetation had been wiped out by the spraying of chemicals.

“But I also drank water from the stream which I think was tainted by run-off from gold mining operations in the area,” he says, noting that the gold mining operations are taking place in Ratanakkiri and Mondulkiri provinces, flowing run-off into waterways in Kratie.

On Wednesday night, Mondulkiri Governor Svay Sam Eang said that 14 villagers in his province had also been hospitalised after drinking contaminated water.

However, officials have shot down the gold mining theory being discussed by villagers.

Pen Lina, deputy provincial governor of Ratanakkiri, says that officials from the provincial mines and energy department visited the area this week and determined that gold mining had no role to play in the tragedy.

“We arrived at gold mine digging areas, but none of the places were operating,” he says. “Those places stopped being operational about four or five years ago.”

The Ministry of Health yesterday issued a new statement, reiterating that villagers have been poisoned from drinking methanol-laced rice wine and also drinking water from the stream that had been contaminated with herbicides and pesticides.

“Cease using and drinking water from Prek Ter and O’koki streams,” the statement says. “Use clean water supplied by local authorities…and implement proper standards when using pesticides and herbicides to kill grass as instructed by relevant authorities in order to avoid the flowing of those poisons into rivers, canals, streams and lakes.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50488566/v ... ng-deaths/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More victims of contamination were reported this weekend in Kratie.
Kratie (FN), May 12 - One worker deceased and 15 others are being treated at a local hospital in Kratie on Friday, Kratie's authority told Fresh News Saturday.

The victims are suspected to consume allegedly contaminated water in Kratie's Chet Borey District. They are workers from Tbong Khmum province.
=FRESH NEWS
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

Gardiguy wrote:
willyhilly wrote:The pesticide theory is bullshit. You would need truckloads of pesticide on a small area to produce enough run off to kill people do quickly. And no dead kids?
I use Roundup often and it has probable long term effects but unless you drank it neat it’s run off wouldn’t kill you so quickly.
Roundup is a herbicide, not a pesticide, and it definitely will kill you. Either cancer, Parkinson's or some other shitty way. I had training in handling that stuff for years and grew up around people using since it was introduced, the doctors were pretty sure that is what caused my father's Parkinson's.
For completion, follow up on round up and glyphosate.

"A chemical found in the world’s most widely used weedkiller can have disrupting effects on sexual development, genes and beneficial gut bacteria at doses considered safe, according to a wide-ranging pilot study in rats."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... udy-claims
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

But I don't think people die from exposure to roundup or at least, not straight away...

Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

Barang chgout wrote:But I don't think people die from exposure to roundup or at least, not straight away...

You are correct, unless you were swimming in pure undiluted roundup while drinking it I guess.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic