Regarding login name and being anonymous

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Regarding login name and being anonymous

Post by phuketrichard »

hence more the reason to always only say, what you would want your mother to read.

Tracking software is amazing nowadays
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

phuketrichard wrote:hence more the reason to always only say, what you would want your mother to read.
Man you live by this precepts and you come to post on this web site ?

There is some serious Freudian dilemma going in your head....
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

It probably helps NOT being paranoid. Not only on forums, but also for getting along in the real world.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I just thought using a nickname was the done thing on a forum and part of the fun. I don't make any great effort to be anonymous online and use my real name on facebook, email and skype. I prefer not to advertise my presence on other media though.

I guess if I cared I'd use a sim-card registered in someone elses name and use pseudonyms for everything.
Scarier than malaria.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

ali baba wrote:I just thought using a nickname was the done thing on a forum and part of the fun. I don't make any great effort to be anonymous online ...
Same here.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Some places there can be a need to be fully anonymous like the (former) silk road or political discussion sites in certain countries etc...
Whereas some sites, like this one, a little mystery is needed so only regular posters may or may not know who you are. I signed up to this forum using my private email so the mods know who I am but that is the only trace back to me.

Of course one could always sign up from a disposable email whilst connected to a random public WiFi and routing through TOR via an anonymous VPN on a virtual machine that will be restored to a fresh snapshot after every session.

But I'm getting over the paranoia...
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

Digg3r wrote:Some places there can be a need to be fully anonymous like the (former) silk road or political discussion sites in certain countries etc...
Whereas some sites, like this one, a little mystery is needed so only regular posters may or may not know who you are. I signed up to this forum using my private email so the mods know who I am but that is the only trace back to me.

Of course one could always sign up from a disposable email whilst connected to a random public WiFi and routing through TOR via an anonymous VPN on a virtual machine that will be restored to a fresh snapshot after every session.

But I'm getting over the paranoia...
Yes only little problem that would be relatively efficient in the U.S, Europe, Japan or any develop country but close to useless here.
I strongly doubt that the local government give a shit about what happen on this forum, and they are more or less the only one who can obtain legally access to the server. If the server are access and the information not encrypted they can in most case go back to you.
VPN and tor are not failed safe contrary to some belief, especially if like most of the poster (myself included) you know enough of informatics for installing and removing a software but not much more.

Of course that presuppose that they have the willingness to do so AND IT guy capable do doing the job. I do not know which one of two is the most improbable.
None governemental organisation would probably use a sock puppet for contacting than identifying you, much more simple, efficient and less expensive than trying to hack the web site.
Cambod ways is almost full proof, send a picture of a woman showing her tits and everybody in the forum will trust you with their life.

Once again it is not about being anonymous (the best way of doing this is NOT to use the internet), it is about not having everything you post being easily associated with you, even more than 10 years latter.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Where is this site hosted? Does it use http or https? What cookies (1st and 3rd party) has orange dragon put onto the site? What nasty pieces of js are exploiting our browsers? It's not just about the government coming to the host with a warrant or court order. It's about the multitude of other ways to track/stalk/spy/intercept. Not just here but anywhere on the Internet.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Digg3r wrote:What nasty pieces of js are exploiting our browsers
lets just say i'm less than amused by those pictures of my sister i found on your computer....

;-)

no https, the only cookie is the login session cookie, none of the js is exploitive or tracking beyond the google analytics code.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ I sense a Silk Road or dark Internet discussion about to start (ooh, another black cat)
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic