Contaminated water killing Kratie villagers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Contaminated water killing Kratie villagers

Post by John Bingham »

I'm not buying this, people don't drink murky river water here or anywhere else I know of unless they haven't seen water for days. Anyway, the authorities should do more to regulate rice-wine production. Besides the odd mass-poisoning it tends to make people go mental and out of control and is probably a factor in a lot of domestic violence. Palm wine is ok though.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

OKW wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:48 pm
Borum-Ex frm TOForum wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:28 am
OKW wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:26 am
Borum-Ex frm TOForum wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:33 am Update: 13 deceased and 200 poisoned according to the MoH, also ricewine deaths reported: http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... 24-21.html
Nice pictures, too bad there aren't more of them
PGFY!

b.

Edit: i wanted to post “Sad Update” initially.
WTFRUA
If you want more horrible pics, please PM me you asshat!

Greetings,
b.
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

kindly keep it civil
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Just for reference, what exactly is an asshat? Could someone perhaps describe it to me or are there pictures to illustrate such a thing?
Perhaps the asshat could become cutting edge fashion in future and I do like to keep abreast of fashion.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

The pesticide theory is bullshit. You would need truckloads of pesticide on a small area to produce enough run off to kill people do quickly. And no dead kids?
I use Roundup often and it has probable long term effects but unless you drank it neat it’s run off wouldn’t kill you so quickly.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

willyhilly wrote:The pesticide theory is bullshit. You would need truckloads of pesticide on a small area to produce enough run off to kill people do quickly. And no dead kids?
I use Roundup often and it has probable long term effects but unless you drank it neat it’s run off wouldn’t kill you so quickly.
Roundup is a herbicide, not a pesticide, and it definitely will kill you. Either cancer, Parkinson's or some other shitty way. I had training in handling that stuff for years and grew up around people using since it was introduced, the doctors were pretty sure that is what caused my father's Parkinson's.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

I understood that the isopropyl-amine salt, was , in fact less toxic to humans than NaCl...perhaps Monsanto's propaganda, still.... I smoke cigarettes.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

Read they found nitric acid in an additional test, I believe that is used in metal manufacturing iirc. That stuff would definitely mess up your health in a real hurry.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Gardiguy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:36 pm Read they found nitric acid in an additional test, I believe that is used in metal manufacturing iirc. That stuff would definitely mess up your health in a real hurry.
Source ?

The question is : What chemical component, added to a large water source, could cause these symptoms ? And also, why are the primary victims not the children, but villagers aged between 24 and 73 years old ? (According to the reports.)
It's quite possible that there is some gold-mining going on upstream, but I don't know whether the chemicals they use could suddenly kill so many in such a short space of time. Unless there was some spillage ?
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Gardiguy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:36 pm Read they found nitric acid in an additional test, I believe that is used in metal manufacturing iirc. That stuff would definitely mess up your health in a real hurry.
Source ?

The question is : What chemical component, added to a large water source, could cause these symptoms ? And also, why are the primary victims not the children, but villagers aged between 24 and 73 years old ? (According to the reports.)
It's quite possible that there is some gold-mining going on upstream, but I don't know whether the chemicals they use could suddenly kill so many in such a short space of time. Unless there was some spillage ?
"But a Monday statement from the Ministry of Industry and Handicrafts on the results of tests on samples from the affected area showed water in the Prek Te canals contained “chromium and nitric acid, which can cause severe side effects to health”."

https://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/he ... er-17-dead

"On April 26, Kantuot commune authorities reported people in Sre Norn and Aloch villages suffering from weakness, fatigue, vomiting, dizziness and other disorders, with some complaining of feeling suffocated and others even found unconscious."

Dehydration from from the vomiting mixed with the heat maybe.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic