I need to lowdown on current 1 year visa reqs

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: I need to lowdown on current 1 year visa reqs

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:15 pmSome young people come here attracted by the fancy veneer that has developed, but can't really handle anything that contradicts their myopic world-view and they don't tend to last long.
Would these be the ones that huddle in name-branded coffee shops, hunched over their meProducts with their buds in, desperately but futilely trying to block out the realities of Cambodia while they video-chat with friends and family back home about how they are saving the world?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
jamie.jerome
Tourist

Post by jamie.jerome »

John Bingham wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:15 pm
jamie.jerome wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 pm Hello fellow expats,

I have worked in Thailand for a year and China for 3 teaching without a degree and unfortunately for me both of these countries have become a no go zone for those who lack an irrelevant qualification. Well at least nogo in terms of risk.

So my questions are: What is the current procedure for obtaining a long term visa in Cambodia (every little detail would be handy) and is there a job board I could visit to possibly interview for work from abroad (I understand that most work is found whilst in the country.).

I have done a fair bit of research but I am not willing to fly to Cambodia based on information which could be out of date or incorrect.

Thanks in advanced for all your inputs.

Oh and if i have missed a sticky post that has all those information I apologise. if there is please link me up :D.
I need to lowdown on current 1 year visa reqs
There are no "1 year visas". If you had actually bothered to do any research you would know this. There are various visas available to foreigners entering Cambodia, but unless you are diplomatic staff or from one of the very few Asian countries that can get better deals, you'll get the same 30-day visa as any other tourist or ordinary/business visa allows you. After that you may or may not qualify for an "Extension of Stay" which can be from anything from 30 days to 12 months. It might sound pedantic, but as rules tighten up here we may as well use the proper names when making inquiries.

Anyway, to be honest I wouldn't advise anyone new to come here at the moment. I'm pretty settled here, but I've hung in through thick and thin since this capital was a derelict mess. I like the way the place has developed but also have that perspective where I remember where it has come from, which was pretty much nothing. Some young people come here attracted by the fancy veneer that has developed, but can't really handle anything that contradicts their myopic world-view and they don't tend to last long. If Cambodia/ Phnom Penh was like it is now way back I never would have even entertained the idea of staying here. I'd wait till a few months after the elections before even thinking of moving here. Nothing will happen during the elections, but there could be major changes in the following period.
Thanks for the info.

Yeah my phrasing was pretty bad but everything you have said regarding visas/extensions reinforces what i have read.

Are most school savvy when it comes to providing the documents needed for the longer extensions?

It may seem short sighted but returning to the UK has made me realize that teaching is probably what I was supposed to do and not to toot my own horn but was pretty damn good at it when i was teaching. If Cambodia can reliably offer me work with a long term visa (or extension to said visa.) Then I feel like it is worth a try as long as there is actual work to be had.

Either way thank you for your frank response it was exactly why I posted.

Also thanks for the heads up on the election I honestly hadn't considered it.
jamie.jerome
Tourist

Post by jamie.jerome »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:11 am
John Bingham wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:15 pmSome young people come here attracted by the fancy veneer that has developed, but can't really handle anything that contradicts their myopic world-view and they don't tend to last long.
Would these be the ones that huddle in name-branded coffee shops, hunched over their meProducts with their buds in, desperately but futilely trying to block out the realities of Cambodia while they video-chat with friends and family back home about how they are saving the world?
Hah!

Honestly that was probably me on my 1st year in China. Though I do not know all there is to know about Cambodia by any stretch, have a good idea of what living as an expat is and I miss it very much.
jamie.jerome
Tourist

Post by jamie.jerome »

dron wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:48 pm Your English is terrible and so are you.

Go home.

Well, aren't you quite the charmer.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Forget Myanmar, forget Laos. All International school require qualifications
wrong! I was offered a job ( which i did not seek ) in Myanmar just 10 months ago with no degree, cert, or experience.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

by dron » Wed May 09, 2018 10:48 pm

Your English is terrible and so are you.

Go home.
we are not having those unprovoked attacks here anymore.
have a day off.
the rest of you, try to be a little more welcoming to new posters.
cranky buggers :-)
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:45 am
Forget Myanmar, forget Laos. All International school require qualifications
wrong! I was offered a job ( which i did not seek ) in Myanmar just 10 months ago with no degree, cert, or experience.
'

https://www.eslbase.com/schools/myanmar

14 places...some of who may require a B.Ed, but many would welcome you.

visa and accommodation restrictions mean that many higher-qualified teachers simply find a more welcoming environment, leaving a gap open

Agree with JB, 15 years ago, this was the place. Now, not so much.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

14 schools teaching english, ( and ALL in Yangon) in a country of 53,000,000, hardly alot of places or opportunities for others to get jobs.

All the teachers i know teaching in Myanmar, ( around 10 in Yangon, Mandalay and the capital) have B.Ed degrees and some also have a specialty degrees. All teaching in international schools, all get accommodations, (very nice as well), Visa paid for, free flights every 80 days to Bangkok for renewal of said visa and a free yearly flight back home and make in excess of $2,500/month.
So if ur qualified ,there some opportunities out there.

Frank, how would u get offered a job if u were not even looking? referring to (mod edit)?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

maybe you don't know everything, or everyone.
your categorical statement is plain wrong.
why would i breach confidence? why would you?
private convos should remain private.
not my style.
anecdotes are enough.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I personally know of two guys over 55 teaching without degrees and earning over 2K/month in Myanmar. One is nowhere near Yangon or Mandalay.

If you are motivated, you will find something.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic