Sunday: Are we so anti-Christian we're turning pro-Islam?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Re: Sunday: Are we so anti-Christian we're turning pro-Islam

Post by Hotdigr »

After 12 years in Catholic schools, I am so ANTI FUKN RELIGIUOS that its not funny. Thank fuk I was a daygo and not a boarder.BUT - to call me pro muslim is a HUGE insult. Pull your fukn head in mate. Simple as that.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Something strange going on with this site for me tonight. Everywhere else is loading and sending as normal, but CEO basically doesn't load/takes forever, or doesn't let me know my post has been received. Sorry for any double postibgs, I will delete them when I can.
Last edited by Hotdigr on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

I think that it's wonderfully ironic that the Jews under the Moors rule in Spain, translated Arabic texts of ancient knowledge as well as advanced Arabic medical knowledge into Latin thus helping Europe emerge from the Dark Ages.

So, Arabs helping Jews helping Catholics. Then that Knowledge and power was used by Catholics to invade Spain and suppress the Jews who later suppressed Arabs.

Simplistic but a Macro overview.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Hotdigr wrote:BUT - to call me pro muslim is a HUGE insult.
You seem to believe each and every innocuous forum comment was directed specifically at you, and then respond with anger and indignation. Are you one of those people who believe the TV news anchor is talking directly to them too? Is your toaster laughing at you when your back is turned?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Soi Dog wrote:But if Moses came down the mountain with just the 7 commandments, they would have all laughed at him.
LOL! And your memes shall set you free...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Are "WE" so ..... Sorry if I took that "WE" to include my self, dog. I'll just go back and lie in the shade of a tree and bark occasionally.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

dagenham wrote:All religions are intellectually weak.

Faith is a big black hole that can filled with any personal interpretation, which than then can used to rationalize any behavior.

Religious conflict, along with territory issues, constitute the basis for all large scale slaughter and maiming between humans.

Pan-humanism is the way to go. Forget all those ridiculous stories, parables and commandments.

Lynch all the arrogant people who work toward any kind of "conversion" of fellow human beings.

Wake up, fellow humans and recognize that life is what you see in front of you - make the most of it whilst you are here.
I'm somewhat inclined towards Dag's position but I believe that religious/spiritual faiths are good and have potential for bringing about the best in people.
It's when the faith gets organized as religions and dogmata are established and upheld by a self-selected few that things go downhill in my view, enabling the emergence and strengthening of radical and extremist interpretations.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Hotdigr wrote:After 12 years in Catholic schools, I am so ANTI FUKN RELIGIUOS that its not funny. Thank fuk I was a daygo and not a boarder.BUT - to call me pro muslim is a HUGE insult. Pull your fukn head in mate. Simple as that.
Was that aimed at me? Strewth mate, I'm as anti-religion as you are!
Joon wrote:I'm somewhat inclined towards Dag's position but I believe that religious/spiritual faiths are good and have potential for bringing about the best in people.
It's when the faith gets organized as religions and dogmata are established and upheld by a self-selected few that things go downhill in my view, enabling the emergence and strengthening of radical and extremist interpretations.
Nice - I agree.
Milord wrote:I think that it's wonderfully ironic that the Jews under the Moors rule in Spain, translated Arabic texts of ancient knowledge as well as advanced Arabic medical knowledge into Latin thus helping Europe emerge from the Dark Ages.
Sweet, isn't it? That link I posted above has some interesting points, even though it's written with an obviously strong bias.
Last edited by StroppyChops on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Joon wrote:
dagenham wrote:All religions are intellectually weak.

Faith is a big black hole that can filled with any personal interpretation, which than then can used to rationalize any behavior.

Religious conflict, along with territory issues, constitute the basis for all large scale slaughter and maiming between humans.

Pan-humanism is the way to go. Forget all those ridiculous stories, parables and commandments.

Lynch all the arrogant people who work toward any kind of "conversion" of fellow human beings.

Wake up, fellow humans and recognize that life is what you see in front of you - make the most of it whilst you are here.
I'm somewhat inclined towards Dag's position but I believe that religious/spiritual faiths are good and have potential for bringing about the best in people.
At the risk of being called self obssessing again,I have an opinion on this too. Faith has been organised as religion and dogma has existed pretty much since humanity has been able to think rationally. Religion of any sort has always been a way to both quell the fear of the masses and thus control the masses. Fear is a very powerful and irrational emotion and irrationaliy eventually leads to anarchy and lets face it, anarchy isn't a good life for anyone. Much as I ( Yes dog , I'm giving MY opinion here) hate religion, I can also understand the need for it - to keep the sheep from panicking and to keep some control and order in the world.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic