FOR SALE: Khmer440.com [SOLD!]

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: FOR SALE: Khmer440.com [SOLD!]

Post by Soi Dog »

Cam Nivag wrote:
Joon wrote: And that's funny you'd lament about K440's toxicity, since your posting style can be pretty caustic and juvenile at times and you're part of what makes 440 a rough, sulfuric place.
Just to follow up on this point by Joon, I agree with her about the juvenile and "rough" posts on K440. That's something I would prefer to see less of, and that I have tried to moderate in the past, and I think my efforts to moderate that stuff have put me at odds with LJ and a few others who see that stuff as just light hearted banter.

I will say that it is hard to try to moderate to a higher standard and make the place more welcoming and less "homophobic inside joke-heavy," when the admins, were at times, simultaneously using the site for personal, vulgar, and racist comments. How do you moderate flame wars and repeated gay anal sex posts when admins are telling people to fuck off or using racial slurs or assigning posters' ranks like "rancid little wank stain?" It's not easy.

I also recognize that some posts may not be vulgar but may still be unwelcoming, and I've been guilty of those at times myself when I get worked up about a topic or when I'm mocking/interrogating people. I try to do that in an entertaining and amusing way, but I recognize that sometimes it is perceived as dickishness.

The new ownership may or may not go in a different direction with the moderating, but I don't think you'll see the inconsistency between mod action and admin action going forward.
Excellent post.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

Soi Dog wrote:The correct quote would have been "All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others."
Yes, I just thought the poster was bastardising it for relevant effect. Was I wrong?
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

EdinWigan wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:The correct quote would have been "All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others."
Yes, I just thought the poster was bastardising it for relevant effect. Was I wrong?
No, but I'm not sure how substituting the word pigs for animals made his context relevant in this case.
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

The pigs are the ones that took control of the Animal Farm. Scobienz represents the pigs.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Right. I'm going to derail this thread now. I only just realised that Joon is someones sockpuppet! Her English ( which was criticised in another thread and which she defended by saying it wasn't her 1st language) is better then ALMOST any other poster on this site or the other site or for that matter any other site. And the insight she just gave into her computer knowledge makes me feel pretty sure I know who "she" is, should I post her email address? Just for fun though :facepalm:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Hotdigr wrote:Right. I'm going to derail this thread now. I only just realised that Joon is someones sockpuppet! Her English ( which was criticised in another thread and which she defended by saying it wasn't her 1st language) is better then ALMOST any other poster on this site or the other site or for that matter any other site. And the insight she just gave into her computer knowledge makes me feel pretty sure I know who "she" is, should I post her email address? Just for fun though :facepalm:
Nope - we've had coffee-time with Joon, can confirm she's 100% real.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
bendix
Expatriate

Post by bendix »

Soi Dog wrote:
Cam Nivag wrote:
Joon wrote: And that's funny you'd lament about K440's toxicity, since your posting style can be pretty caustic and juvenile at times and you're part of what makes 440 a rough, sulfuric place.
Just to follow up on this point by Joon, I agree with her about the juvenile and "rough" posts on K440. That's something I would prefer to see less of, and that I have tried to moderate in the past, and I think my efforts to moderate that stuff have put me at odds with LJ and a few others who see that stuff as just light hearted banter.

I will say that it is hard to try to moderate to a higher standard and make the place more welcoming and less "homophobic inside joke-heavy," when the admins, were at times, simultaneously using the site for personal, vulgar, and racist comments. How do you moderate flame wars and repeated gay anal sex posts when admins are telling people to fuck off or using racial slurs or assigning posters' ranks like "rancid little wank stain?" It's not easy.

I also recognize that some posts may not be vulgar but may still be unwelcoming, and I've been guilty of those at times myself when I get worked up about a topic or when I'm mocking/interrogating people. I try to do that in an entertaining and amusing way, but I recognize that sometimes it is perceived as dickishness.

The new ownership may or may not go in a different direction with the moderating, but I don't think you'll see the inconsistency between mod action and admin action going forward.
Excellent post.
A very excellent post and exactly in accordance with my views.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

StroppyChops wrote:
Hotdigr wrote:Right. I'm going to derail this thread now. I only just realised that Joon is someones sockpuppet! Her English ( which was criticised in another thread and which she defended by saying it wasn't her 1st language) is better then ALMOST any other poster on this site or the other site or for that matter any other site. And the insight she just gave into her computer knowledge makes me feel pretty sure I know who "she" is, should I post her email address? Just for fun though :facepalm:
I was going to lead Hotdigr on a wild goose chase, Stroppy. :(
Your uprightness spoiled the little fun I could've had... Oh well.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Damn it, I LOVE wild geeses! Or is that gooses?!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Joon wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
I was going to lead Hotdigr on a wild goose chase, Stroppy. :(
Your uprightness spoiled the little fun I could've had... Oh well.
He'll play when he realises that, contrary to your disclaimer, that IS your photo...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic