Two traffic officers fired for corruption,and getting filmed by foreigners

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Two traffic officers fired for corruption,and getting filmed by foreigners

Post by bolueeleh »

we can all keep debating abt pros n cons of bribery, but it alls boils down to ease of living, if the bribes stops and everything is by the book n it starts getting to too much hassle just to pay the ticket then it is, if bribery continues and the bribes starts to get exorbitant then it gets to the ease of living comfortably with the amount of money that one has, some idiots just do not how to maintain status quo
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

bolueeleh wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:48 am we can all keep debating abt pros n cons of bribery, but it alls boils down to ease of living, if the bribes stops and everything is by the book n it starts getting to too much hassle just to pay the ticket then it is, if bribery continues and the bribes starts to get exorbitant then it gets to the ease of living comfortably with the amount of money that one has, some idiots just do not how to maintain status quo
Bribes are one thing but the demand of $20 for a 5000 riel ticket is the issue. I've had it happen in the past showing me the book in khmer script and jabbing at a small $20 written in pencil. helps to speak the language and stand firm.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

I generally roll like this, and I never have any trouble. Just lucky , I suppose.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Now ask yourself why the policeman had several drivers licenses in his pocket. I had one show me a bundle one day (I was the only foreigner driving with hundreds of nationals the wrong way on a one-way street) of 60 licenses that he'd confiscated that day. Apparently the owners weren't carrying enough cash on them, so he kept the licenses in ransom. And then he wondered why I wouldn't give him my original copy - I told him he could come to the house or I could bring the original to the station the next day.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic