New website with photos and stories from the 1970s

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Moe
Expatriate

Re: New website with photos and stories from the 1970s

Post by Moe »

I'll second that recommendation for One Crowded Hour. Outstanding. I've heard that Tim Page's Page After Page is also good. Anyone here read it, by chance?
k*rm*geddon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by k*rm*geddon »

I was initially hesitant to continue on about Davis, but because the heading here is Stories from the 70s, and because fresh posts keep the thread about Colin's photos alive, then here's one last post on him.

Grasping and endorsing the desire of the Cambodian and South Vietnamese peoples to live in freedom, Davis embedded himself with the anti-communist Cambodian and South Vietnamese (ARVN) troops, sharing their constant danger and always speaking highly of their bravery. His stunning combat camerawork can be seen in the Frontline documentary which is all about Davis and which maybe John Bingham can come up with.

Interviewed after the war, Davis said: The unfair thing was that from the time the Americans came into South Vietnam in force in 1965 until they announced a limited withdrawal in 1968, the impression given to the world was that the Americans were doing almost all the fighting, while the inefficient and cowardly ARVN were sitting back and doing nothing. That was not true, and the international press should accept responsibility for not telling the truth. It was inaccuracy by omission. The figures were available all the time, and clearly show the South Vietnamese army lost at least 50 per cent more men (than the Americans) from 1965 to 1968 and it was constant, week after week. I used to follow these figures week after week, and only in three weeks in three years did the Americans have more soldiers killed than the South Vietnamese. That is why I was determined to cover the ARVN fighting effort.
Indeed, the role of the ARVN was downplayed by most international media. In fact you could almost say ARVN were ignored, other than when that mainstream media was treating them with outright contempt.
MY 99 CENT KINDLE: ... 1974 TRAVEL IN THAILAND, CAMBODIA AND SOUTH VIETNAM : http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPLAINING-CAMB ... B00L0LC8TO
colingrafton
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by colingrafton »

Thanks to armchair lawyer for posting the initial information about the website, and to all those who came up with info related to the photos. It was especially interesting for me to find out about Terry White, and to see his hilarious "tourist" photo in Cambodia. I`m afraid the tip about Wat Than being the scene of the "barber`s shop" did not work out. I have been there to check if there was any trace of the stupas which had been hit by a rocket, because I used to live in that area (which has now changed out of all recognition) but hadn`t checked the outer wall. There are karmic wheels, certainly, like almost any wat, but they are not perforated like the ones in the photo. That`s what distinguishes it. As for the girl in the "portraits" section, Annih, since there were some comments/queries, I have expanded on that.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Moe wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:34 am I'll second that recommendation for One Crowded Hour. Outstanding. I've heard that Tim Page's Page After Page is also good. Anyone here read it, by chance?
yep;
got them both

Pages, "Derailed in Uncle Ho's Victory garden " is worth reading- 20 years after liberation...

two others in the same style are

"Highway to War" BY Christopher Koch, ( he wrote the "year of living dangerously" as well) set in Cambodia in 76
"Chasing the Dragon" Christoper Cox set in the golden triangle

got lots of good titles set in Burma and Tibet if anyone interested..
Last edited by phuketrichard on Fri May 04, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:30 pm
Moe wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:34 am I'll second that recommendation for One Crowded Hour. Outstanding. I've heard that Tim Page's Page After Page is also good. Anyone here read it, by chance?
yep;
got them both
another good one in the same style is

"Highway to War" BY Christopher Koch, ( he wrote the "year of living dangerously" as well) set in Cambodia in 76
"Chasing the Dragon" Christoper Cox set in the golden triangle

got lots of good titles set in Burma and Tibet if anyone interested..

Those are novels...
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic