Mobile HiFi hotspots

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Mobile HiFi hotspots

Post by StroppyChops »

Do mobile hotspot devices exist on the market in Cambodia?

I'm thinking of the pocket sized devices that will carry a reliable 1.5mb/s connection and share it to 5 or so devices. If so, any feedback on or comparison between Ezecom and Cootel?

Does one simply walk into telcos and buy such things here, or is it passports, thumbprints and DNA for successive generations?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Mobile HiFi hotspots

Post by Digg3r »

Mobile HiFi?

Once again baiting.

Seriously though, depends on the medium you're using. Cassette tapes you need a Walkman. Discman for CD's (compact discs not cross dressers Cambod) and iPod for your digital mobile HiFi.

If you are indeed looking for one of those pocket WiFi devices then I would presume that most reputable (term used loosely) computer retailers would stock them (they used to).

Did you require a reliable 1.5 mb/s connection on the WAN or the LAN side. If the former I don't think it exits in Cambodia. I think most pocket WiFi devices these days support 802.11n so 1.5mb/s should be sustainable over a fair distance.

;P
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Beaten by autocorrect once again! It took me a moment to work out what you were bashing on about, but then I spotted it. Well done, very humorous.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Yes. Emaxx.

http://www.emaxxtelecom.com/

Also most smartphones now offer the feature of wifi tethering, which turns the phone into a mobile hotspot, meaning you could buy a cheap-o android (about $100) and toss a sim card in it to use it exclusively as a hotspot.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

OrangeDragon wrote:Yes. Emaxx.

http://www.emaxxtelecom.com/

Also most smartphones now offer the feature of wifi tethering, which turns the phone into a mobile hotspot, meaning you could buy a cheap-o android (about $100) and toss a sim card in it to use it exclusively as a hotspot.
Thanks OD. We hotspot our mobiles and tablets regularly according to data balances, unfortunately we seem to be on the outer limit of Cellcard's mobile reach so that's not working for us either. Had considered getting a burner to use as a dedicated hotspot but they're not so great at sharing to multiple devices simultaneously.

The landlord is physically moving some networking equipment (I suspect there's some Faraday caging in play) and hopefully that will give a solid AP connection as his link speed is 54Mbps.

Otherwise I'll chase up Emaxx, thanks for a meaningful response.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

StroppyChops wrote:(I suspect there's some Faraday caging in play)
My #1 peeve with Cambodian construction... every room is just a huge Faraday cage with all of that rebar.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

OrangeDragon wrote:My #1 peeve with Cambodian construction... every room is just a huge Faraday cage with all of that rebar.
Landlord swears it isn't so, but may also be unfamiliar with the problem.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic