School in Phnom Penh is Starting to Ask for Criminal Background Checks for English Teachers in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: School in Phnom Penh is Starting to Ask for Criminal Background Checks for English Teachers in Cambodia

Post by willyhilly »

Amongst a couple of other things I have running a red light on my National Police Report. Would this disqualify me from teaching?
violet
Expatriate

Re: School in Phnom Penh is Starting to Ask for Criminal Background Checks for English Teachers in Cambodia

Post by violet »

willyhilly wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:45 am Amongst a couple of other things I have running a red light on my National Police Report. Would this disqualify me from teaching?
Would it? No one knows yet.
Should it? Yes, in some circumstances, for example if you were driving a school bus when you ran the red light.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

willyhilly wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:45 am Amongst a couple of other things I have running a red light on my National Police Report. Would this disqualify me from teaching?
Sure, if you were going for a job as a driving instructor.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

damn it, now i gotta download this again

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

that genius wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:52 am Agree about lying.

However, I don't agree that all crimes merit termination of employment.

I suppose somebody with a legal mind and a strong interest in the children's welfare should be part of the recruitment process, not just leave it up to the boss's ignorant nephew or cousin.
In most countries you have to provide the profession you need the background check for and only relevant items will be mentioned. Whatever is relevant is decided by the ministry of justice. Personally I believe all teachers should provide a criminal background check.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 5:06 pm
that genius wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 2:27 pm It could get interesting if they ask owners for CRCs, LOL
Yeah, that would be odd if foreigners disqualified from teaching because they are felons could just start their own schools.
The former Australian politician and convicted child rapist, Keith Wright, moved to Vietnam and ran a language school after he got out of jail. Vietnam is a country that requires foreign teachers to have criminal record checks.

The good news is that Keith Wright is dead now.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:55 am
that genius wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:52 am Agree about lying.

However, I don't agree that all crimes merit termination of employment.

I suppose somebody with a legal mind and a strong interest in the children's welfare should be part of the recruitment process, not just leave it up to the boss's ignorant nephew or cousin.
In most countries you have to provide the profession you need the background check for and only relevant items will be mentioned. Whatever is relevant is decided by the ministry of justice. Personally I believe all teachers should provide a criminal background check.
:thumb: absolutely
wherever my daughter went to school here, ALL teachers had a criminal background check's before they were hired.
All parents want to know their kid is safe, ( at least from the teachers...)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

Keith Wright was never convicted of rape. It was unlawful carnal knowledge of students he taught. The prick opened a major language school in Kuala Lumpur and had a regular column in the main English newspaper. The school in Vietnam was probably a branch, so he wouldn't need a work permit. No RIP from me. His successor as Labor Opposition Leader in Queensland was also convicted of similar offences- against his Primary school students!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

richard, your daughter went to school here? Reason I ask is even ISPP had probs, iirc. What school?
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Gilmore wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:10 pm Keith Wright was never convicted of rape. It was unlawful carnal knowledge of students he taught.
What's the difference between rape and unlawful carnal knowledge?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic