Wallet Stolen at 69 Bar, Phnom Penh, Street 136 (girly bar)

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
Flexnez
Expatriate
Norway

Wallet Stolen at 69 Bar, Phnom Penh, Street 136 (girly bar)

Post by Flexnez »

Was out on a bender the other day, and last stop of the night was 69 bar. Realized when I was about to leave that my wallet was gone. First the ladies and manager presented a bs excuse that some guest must have taken it when passing by on the out. The only problem was that I was the only one left in the bar for the last 15-20 minutes when the wallet disappeared.

The lady sitting next to me then pointed out that there were several video cameras around, and that I should ask the manager to check the video recording to identify the perp. The manager was not really interested until I started making a big fuzz, promising him that I would return with some military police in case the matter would not be resolved quickly.

After quite a while, the manager returned and explained that the video showed that I had dropped the wallet on the floor, and that one of the ladies in the bar had picked it up. He further said that he had already searched this lady, but my wallet was nowhere to be found, so there was basically not much more he could do. After giving him another shitstorm, and then making it clear that I didn't give a shit about the 25 dollars in the wallet, as long as it was returned with the everything but the cash inside, the wallet was miraculously produced in less than two minutes.

I've never had problems at 69 before, but this experience makes me hesitant to return...
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Wallet stolen at 69

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Lesson learnt? When going out on a bender, only keep what you can afford to lose on your person. When I go out, I only ever take enough cash that I need, and split between different pockets, and a shitty old Nokia phone.
Flexnez
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Flexnez »

That's what I usually do, but yes, lesson learnt
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

If you drunkenly drop your wallet on the ground, anywhere, there's a good chance someone will walk off with it. Sad but true. I'm not sure it's fair to impugn the bar because one impoverished staff member took the opportunity to pocket a dropped wallet.

The owner did look at the video and get to the bottom of it.
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

Is that the extent of care the manager has to his customers in your book? Nothing he could do? Shrug his shoulders?

Fire the girl! Why not?

She's already damaged the rep of the 69 bar.

And Flexnez, you didn't pay your bar tab, right? No cash left?
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

I don't carry my cash in the wallet.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

If genuine (no offense OP but I tend to take stories from the Internet with a big grain of salt, as well as giving the benefit of the doubt), the episode did show the dishonesty of the bar owner and of the staff as the wallet was returned after ensuring that money wasn't a problem.

A lesson for all, indeed.
Milord wrote:I don't carry my cash in the wallet.
I take it you don't stuff it in your bra as I would do.... so I hope you're not hanging at bars in flip-flops.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

I've lost weight, I don't need a bra now. 8-)

Sperry topsiders are getting broken in too.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Note to self: DO NOT ask Milord for small change.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Thanks for the tip OP.
On the blacklist.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic