Thailand "Tenants and landlords. Things change from today.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Thailand "Tenants and landlords. Things change from today.

Post by phuketrichard »

overall some very good thngs,
Does Cambodia have anything in place like this""
If you rent property in Thailand there are new guidelines for tenants and landlords that come into effect from today. Mostly good news but there are a few exceptions that you will need to be aware of. The days of the unscrupulous landlord may be partly over.

One of the most significant points is that landlords will no longer be able to ask for more than one month rent and one month security deposit up front.

Additionally, a tenant now has the right to terminate their contract at any time, providing they give 30 days written notice to the landlord.

Landlords can not add extra charges on top of standard utility bills, protecting tenants from paying more for water and electric than they actually costs.

Landlords can no longer prevent access to the property or seize belongings should the tenant default on rent.

Landlords are also prohibited from inspecting a property without prior notice and they are also prohibited from charging a fee to renew a rental contract.

A landlord must return security deposit within seven days.
https://thethaiger.com/lifestyle/proper ... from-today
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thailand "Tenants and landlords. Things change from today.

Post by John Bingham »

They sound very similar to the laws here
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

“ The new laws apply to all residential property including houses, condominium units and apartments “

“ The new laws only apply to landlords who own five or more properties “

:facepalm:

I guess their must be some foreigners who own and rent out their condos that operate as a legally registered business and pay tax on their income, I just haven’t met any. :beer3:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Another take on this from me. :hattip:

Tenants and landlords - all tenants are not good, and all landlords bad. Nothing to do with Thailand, but as a property owner in Cambodia, I do agree with respecting the tenant's rights, however I don't agree with the following:
One of the most significant points is that landlords will no longer be able to ask for more than one month rent and one month security deposit up front.

Additionally, a tenant now has the right to terminate their contract at any time, providing they give 30 days written notice to the landlord.
If a landlord wants to ask for two months deposit and the tenant agrees, why should this be illegal ? If you don't like it, then reject the agreement and move on.
Also, IMO, if the tenant signs a contract to stay for one year, or even longer, at a fixed rental rate , it is unfair for them to stay for only one month at a yearly rate and then give one month notice to leave. This is getting a long term rental price for a short term rental.

Anyway, the big problem with renting in Sihanoukville (Cambodia) is that on most leases the landlord can raise the rent after a certain time, and then you're stuck because the monthly rental increase is often something like $1000 a month. Chinese are paying these prices. So you're stuck if you're a renter.
But you're also stuck if you're a landlord with a promise of $1000+ pm from the Chinese for one year and so you kick everyone out, only to find that the Chinese tenants don't want to stay long term. Duh. Just until they finish building their hotel next door. (Not my case, but there are many like this. )
I see both sides of the story here. Good tenancy laws should protect both tenants and landlords.Whether in Thailand or Cambodia. It's the judicial uncertainties that create most of the problems.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

the landlord scam preceeded the jetski scam by centuries
thru shit to more shit
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

markd wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:56 pm the landlord scam preceeded the jetski scam by centuries
Just to be clear. All landlords are not scammers, and all renters are not angels. O:-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic