ATMs and Cold AC

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

ATMs and Cold AC

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Hi again, everyone.

I know the ATM discussion has popped more than once in these fora but with the recent decision by MayBank to start charging $5 per withdrawal, I thought I'd risk asking for a fresh thread. Looking to pay less than $5 per withdrawal from a US-based Visa debit card, anywhere in Chatomok up to about Street 174, or anywhere in the northern half of BKK-1, say, down to about street 308.

Speaking of which, I spend most of my day in coffee shops and I'd be interested if anyone has a suggestion for one with good hot, frothy cappuccinos and -- even more importantly -- ice-cold AC. Right now I use the Be.K on Street 308 and a place called Samonda on Street 63 between Sihanouk and 216. Neither are ideal. Same geographic preference: Northern half of BKK-1 and southern 3/4 of Chatomok. Would prefer to pay less than $2 per cup but $3 is a deal-breaker.

Thanks, everyone!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: ATMs and Cold AC

Post by phuketrichard »

you moved to Cambodia to spend ur days in a western stye coffee shop with air con?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Whoops! I keep forgetting to add my perfected Cambodia-CEO-specific disclaimer:

"As usual, non-responsive and/or condescending replies of the why-would-anyone-want-to-do-that variety will be respectfully but resolutely ignored, thank you in advance."
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

LOL
well said
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

As far as I know now all ATM fees are minimum $5.

Have you not considered opening an account here? That way ATMs are free (As long as you transfer enough it should be worthwhile).

It is a pretty painful process however. Yesterday I managed to open a Starling account with an app, it took all of 10 mins, I wonder how many years away Cambodia is for this
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

May bank has such a low withdrawal amount limit . ( not ABA bank where I have my local account , i can get out 1000 but it costs more than $5 at ABA ) I take out 1000$ at a time 3x per month and know a better bank that gives $1000 each time for only $5 .. there used to be others for $5 but they lowered their limits last year ( to 500 so would cost me $10 for a thousand ) .. this bank here in shitsville also gives nice clean all consecutively numbered 100’s , so nice I hate to break up the sets to spend them .. [ they look so nice when layed down posing for photos . Don’t know how to attach a photo ]

I did not think I could live here w/o air cond , but been sorta ‘ homeless ‘ now in a place with no air because cannot find a suitable room / apartment here for the past 6 months. Sick , maybe bronchitis..

:beer3: cheese 🧀.
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

no but seriously, look at all your posts, all you did was ask questions here, you did not contribute much to this forum, all you did was take take take, and yet you expect everyone to cordially spoon feed sunshine to you with snappy remarks of how you will not take shit from anyone? :bow:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ Members are encouraged to ask questions, that's why this section is called Ask The Expats. If you can't answer his question, then don't.

You should get minus karma for a post like that!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

cautious colin wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:24 am As far as I know now all ATM fees are minimum $5.
Some of them vary depending on how much you withdraw. Maybank was free for some Visa cards, I had not heard that has changed but I don't have a Visa any more to find out.

And despite some people saying they get charged a fee, I have never been charged a fee for withdrawals using my AU issued Citi Mastercard Debit card at the Vietnamese-owned MB Bank ATMs.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:57 am ^^ Members are encouraged to ask questions, that's why this section is called Ask The Expats. If you can't answer his question, then don't.

You should get minus karma for a post like that!
i just dont like this part

"As usual, non-responsive and/or condescending replies of the why-would-anyone-want-to-do-that variety will be respectfully but resolutely ignored, thank you in advance."
he should end with a please or thank you when asking for help, i dont like his attitude, thats my opinion, minus karma or not, i dont care
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic