COPS -- Stop Giving Them Free Money

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: COPS -- Stop Giving Them Free Money

Post by Jacobincambodia »

Kuroneko wrote:Fyi Cambodian Traffic Law http://intranet.site-pse.org/index.php? ... &Itemid=22

A few extracts below - Article 41 deals with licences Note if you have a type B you can drive an A1 moto 49cc and below but not a A2 50cc + Article 72 deals with police anti corruption.

ARTICLE 17:
The driving speeds for vehicles in general:
A. In towns:
- The drivers of all motorcycles and tricycles must drive in the maximum speed of 30 km per hour
- The drivers of all kinds of cars must drive in the maximum speed of 40 km per hour
B. Outside towns:
- The drivers of all kinds of vehicles must drive in the maximum speed of 90 km per hour,
except for the trucks with the net weight of over 3.5 tons is limited with 70 km per hour and
the maximum speed of the vehicles with trailers is limited with 60 km per hour

ARTICLE 36:
In case when having the traffic accident, the drivers, all road users involved in the accidents or
by-standers must implement as the following:
1. Stop their own vehicles immediately by preventing any interruption or provoking any harm to the others.
2. To report immediately to the local authority or the traffic police
3. Violence is strictly forbidden between the two related parties.
4. Leaving from the accident site is prohibited prior reaching the agreement or without the
permission from the traffic police.

ARTICLE 41:
Other conditions involving the driving license will be defined as the following:
1- T he drivers can only drive the vehicles based on the types of driving licenses they are holding. The
disabled people obtain the rights to drive the special vehicles and have the special driving license for only the disabled people.
2- The driving license holders must apply for the renewal of the validation before the expiry date of the
driving license. Failure to apply for the renewal of the validation will be fined as set by the law.
3- The age of drivers must be determined in accordance with the types of the driving license as follows:
1- At least 16 years old for type A1
2- At least 18 years old for type A2 and B
3- At least 22 years old for type C and D1
4- At least 24 years old for type D2 and E
4- Those who have the driving license type A2 can drive the vehicle in type A1
5- Those who have the driving license type B can drive the vehicle in type A1, agricultural vehicle or vehicle equipped with usable tools with the maximum speed not over 40km/h, but cannot drive the vehicle in Type A2 or C or D1 or D2 or E.

ARTICLE 72:
Any officials or agents responsible for traffic order used their power to confiscate the driving
license, number plate, identification card or keeping the driver’s vehicle, shall be jailed from 6 (six)
days to one (1) month and or fined from Riel 25,000 to Riel 200,000.
In case the vehicles are damaged or lost any parts due to the detaining, the entity shall be
responsible for the payment. If the level of violation of the police officers or the traffic agents is too
serious, the entity can demand the compensation from the police officers or traffic agents.
The police officers or traffic agents shall be imprisoned from one (1) year to three (3) years
and/or fine from two millions (2,000,000) Riels to six millions (6,000,000) Riels to any traffic officers
or traffic agents that:
- Forced and demanded the fining money against the amounts set by the law
- Obtaining money by using the incorrect fining tickets or do not issue fining tickets to the
fined driver.
- Shall be punished by jailing from one (1) year to three (3) years and or fine from two
millions (2,000.000) Riels to six millions (6,000.000) Riels to any government staff or staff
working directly or those who have duty or task in managing the driving schools or engaging
in the issuance of the driving license and vehicle identification card and have committed
wrong to the article 40 or 48 of this provision.
This is beautiful! I'll just print article 72, translate into Khmer, laminate it and throw it in my glovebox. When I get putted over, instead of arguing I'll just hand this to them. Thanks for sharing.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Jacobincambodia wrote:
Kuroneko wrote:Fyi Cambodian Traffic Law http://intranet.site-pse.org/index.php? ... &Itemid=22

A few extracts below - Article 41 deals with licences Note if you have a type B you can drive an A1 moto 49cc and below but not a A2 50cc + Article 72 deals with police anti corruption.

ARTICLE 17:
The driving speeds for vehicles in general:
A. In towns:
- The drivers of all motorcycles and tricycles must drive in the maximum speed of 30 km per hour
- The drivers of all kinds of cars must drive in the maximum speed of 40 km per hour
B. Outside towns:
- The drivers of all kinds of vehicles must drive in the maximum speed of 90 km per hour,
except for the trucks with the net weight of over 3.5 tons is limited with 70 km per hour and
the maximum speed of the vehicles with trailers is limited with 60 km per hour

ARTICLE 36:
In case when having the traffic accident, the drivers, all road users involved in the accidents or
by-standers must implement as the following:
1. Stop their own vehicles immediately by preventing any interruption or provoking any harm to the others.
2. To report immediately to the local authority or the traffic police
3. Violence is strictly forbidden between the two related parties.
4. Leaving from the accident site is prohibited prior reaching the agreement or without the
permission from the traffic police.

ARTICLE 41:
Other conditions involving the driving license will be defined as the following:
1- T he drivers can only drive the vehicles based on the types of driving licenses they are holding. The
disabled people obtain the rights to drive the special vehicles and have the special driving license for only the disabled people.
2- The driving license holders must apply for the renewal of the validation before the expiry date of the
driving license. Failure to apply for the renewal of the validation will be fined as set by the law.
3- The age of drivers must be determined in accordance with the types of the driving license as follows:
1- At least 16 years old for type A1
2- At least 18 years old for type A2 and B
3- At least 22 years old for type C and D1
4- At least 24 years old for type D2 and E
4- Those who have the driving license type A2 can drive the vehicle in type A1
5- Those who have the driving license type B can drive the vehicle in type A1, agricultural vehicle or vehicle equipped with usable tools with the maximum speed not over 40km/h, but cannot drive the vehicle in Type A2 or C or D1 or D2 or E.

ARTICLE 72:
Any officials or agents responsible for traffic order used their power to confiscate the driving
license, number plate, identification card or keeping the driver’s vehicle, shall be jailed from 6 (six)
days to one (1) month and or fined from Riel 25,000 to Riel 200,000.
In case the vehicles are damaged or lost any parts due to the detaining, the entity shall be
responsible for the payment. If the level of violation of the police officers or the traffic agents is too
serious, the entity can demand the compensation from the police officers or traffic agents.
The police officers or traffic agents shall be imprisoned from one (1) year to three (3) years
and/or fine from two millions (2,000,000) Riels to six millions (6,000,000) Riels to any traffic officers
or traffic agents that:
- Forced and demanded the fining money against the amounts set by the law
- Obtaining money by using the incorrect fining tickets or do not issue fining tickets to the
fined driver.
- Shall be punished by jailing from one (1) year to three (3) years and or fine from two
millions (2,000.000) Riels to six millions (6,000.000) Riels to any government staff or staff
working directly or those who have duty or task in managing the driving schools or engaging
in the issuance of the driving license and vehicle identification card and have committed
wrong to the article 40 or 48 of this provision.
This is beautiful! I'll just print article 72, translate into Khmer, laminate it and throw it in my glovebox. When I get putted over, instead of arguing I'll just hand this to them. Thanks for sharing.
Here it is in Khmer http://bunbopith.files.wordpress.com/20 ... -khmer.pdf

Relevant section 72 in Khmer

ImageImage
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I just had an Indonesian friend come visit Cambodia.

She was very disappointed to hear I'm happy to pay the $1 or $2 generally requested under the table to police officers.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

By the way there's an app on the iPhone store and Android store called "Bribespot" through which you can report bribery cases on a map.

Phnom Penh has a few testimonials already.

It only indicates cases of bribery but not attempts to engage in bribery though. So for instance in Jacob's case, it would be misrepresenting to record a case of bribery, while it was only a failed attempt. But I think data and records of attempts to get a bribe would be just as significant as the actual cases.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Joon wrote:By the way there's an app on the iPhone store and Android store called "Bribespot" through which you can report bribery cases on a map.
Awesome!

It's a shame you can't report bribery attempts.

That means you have to break the law yourself in order to report them breaking the law....
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

In Sihanoukville, people wearing helmet cameras don't normally get stopped.

Start wearing a helmet camera.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I was in the Philippines a long time ago. I was traveling in a truck driven by an American. He was stopped by the police. As soon as they saw it was an American, they waved him on.

He said Philippinoes have to pay bribes, but the police know Americans don't pay bribes, so they don't bother with them.

Since that time, Americans and other foreigners started paying bribes. So now it is expected.

If all foreigners had refused to pay bribes, none of them would be expected to.

To eliminate this, or other forms of corruption, there would need to be a united approach, where everybody does the same thing.

There will always be those who take the easy way out and pay the bribe, maintaining an environment where it is expected of everybody.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

I've been here many years. I've been asked directly and indirectly for money by a lot of cops. I've never given a 100 Riel note. I only would if my life or freedom depended on it or if I did business here, but hard to come down too tough on the people who do.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

dron wrote:I've been here many years. I've been asked directly and indirectly for money by a lot of cops. I've never given a 100 Riel note. I only would if my life or freedom depended on it or if I did business here, but hard to come down too tough on the people who do.
Good for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonetone420
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tonetone420 »

Just keep your helmet on and your light off and most of the time you should be fine.

But if you do get flagged, get your speed up and break through or do a U-turn. They won't stand in front of you if you are going fast enough.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic