Cambodian Women from the Provinces Encouraged to Get Online

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Cambodian Women from the Provinces Encouraged to Get Online

Post by General Mackevili »

This is great news! :good: I hope they also get the Khmer girls from the Countryside signed up on all the free dating sites in Cambodia, like Badoo, Blender, Twoo, Tagged, etc.

I consider any Cambodian girl I meet that says they don't have Facebook to be a LIAR! Everyone here has Facebook now. So I hope this project is successful. And with Google Translate there is almost no excuse for these women to NOT be online in one way or another.

Young women in Cambodia will begin a quest this month to get their voices heard thanks to a new scheme led by human rights campaigners.

The Empowering Cloghers Project, which the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) will launch later this month, will deliver training sessions for 20 young women between the ages of 18 and 25. The aim, said Chak Sopheap, CCHR’s executive director, is to expose women to the same digital tools that are currently used more often by men.

“We want to empower young females to use the tool of new media as a way to express themselves – it fits in with CCHR in the way that we want to promote fundamental human rights”, she said.

Participants in the program will receive training in areas such as how to create a blog and how to engage with and maintain a digital audience. Sopheap added that she will lead some of the training sessions herself. “I am a clogher myself, so I could share to the trainees what inspired people like me to write a blog and how to share your story,” she said.

The term clogher is a portmanteau of clogger – the popular slang term for Cambodian blogger – and blogher, another slang word for a female blogger. The project has been mostly funded by the Rising Voices Microgrant 2014, a project of Global Voices Online. This is a global media platform that aims to give a voice to marginalised communities often overlooked by mainstream media.

Though internet penetration nationwide is 20 per cent, said Sopheap, there is a massive digital divide in terms of gender.

“Mostly it’s male oriented, and it’s the same all the way across ICT work. The idea is to bridge the gender digital divide and to give the women a space where they can voice their concerns,” she said, adding that they don’t necessarily have to blog about human rights issues, although they are encouraged to do so.

The project specifically targets women from rural areas who have come to Phnom Penh to study or work, with the hope that they can blog about their experiences growing up in the provinces. Sopheap also hopes that they might be able to influence other women in rural areas to follow suit.

“The youth in urban areas have more chances, more opportunities. But we want to equip the rural community with this same opportunity. With this kind of empowerment, cloghers can bring the ideas back to the rural community”, she said. “Mostly, internet penetration is concentrated in urban areas. Internet cost and infrastructure are challenges for
the rural community”, she added.

Uoeung Bonsovathary, 24, is an office assistant at Pannasastra University, but was recognised by CCHR as an influential blogger due to her blog Cambodian Daughter, about life growing up in Phnom Penh. She said she thinks it’s important to support young women from rural areas and to encourage them to express themselves. “I think that is a wonderful idea. I appreciate the effort to tie women together using an easy way such as the internet,”
she said.

“If women are.....

...click link to continue reading article and for picture...

http://phnompenhpost.com/lifestyle/rura ... e-presence

By Emily Wight
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
picooie
Expatriate

Re: Cambodian Women from the Rural Provinces encouraged to G

Post by picooie »

First they need access to computers. Most do not have any kind of access to computers. This sounds like a BS feel good project that accomplishes absolutely nothing.
General M FYI most girls in the countryside that I am exposed do not have a Facebook account or anything like that.

picooie
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian Women from the Rural Provinces encouraged to G

Post by 0to60 »

I thought a clogger was some kind of hillbilly stomp dancing with boots or heavy shoes.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Cambodian Women from the Provinces encouraged to Get Onl

Post by General Mackevili »

picooie wrote:First they need access to computers. Most do not have any kind of access to computers.
But they ALL have smartphones. That counts.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Do you know its impossible now to take a shit without using a smartphone?
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

I see the General's keen eye has spotted the flip side to yet another well meaning plight.

Donations gratefully accepted.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
picooie
Expatriate

Post by picooie »

I don't know what province you are going to but hardly anyone has a smart phone. The ones who do are already computer literate and that is very few.

picooie
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

picooie wrote:

I don't know what province you are going to but hardly anyone has a smart phone. The ones who do are already computer literate and that is very few.

picooie

Which proves only ''smart girls'' use ''smart phones.''
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Duncan wrote:
picooie wrote:

picooie

Which proves only ''smart girls'' use ''smart phones.''
The lambda Cambodian's typical Facebook feed seems to suggest otherwise!
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

No fewer than four NGOs mentioned in a PP newspaper feature. That ought to sell a couple dozen more copies.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic