American Tourist ROSS WESTCOTT CHAGNON Dies of Dysentery in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Amandarae16
Tourist
Brazil

Re: American Tourist ROSS WESTCOTT CHAGNON Dies of Dysentery in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Amandarae16 »

obelisks wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:07 pm
General Mackevili wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:59 pm LoL! I guess they have hidden the word KIYO in both English and Khmer:

ImageImage
I have I have stayed in that exact same room! I hope they change the mattress

So is it as “filthy” as it’s being claimed??
%) 8) :Yahoo!: :facepalm:
Xxpissoff
Tourist
United States of America

Re: American Tourist ROSS WESTCOTT CHAGNON Dies of Dysentery in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Xxpissoff »

Believe he had gastric bypass surgery... perhaps that weakened his GI system making more susceptible to disease? Also rumored that he was robbed the week before and thats how he lost his passport. Many people think this was a murder and body was staged...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Xxpissoff wrote:Believe he had gastric bypass surgery... perhaps that weakened his GI system making more susceptible to disease? Also rumored that he was robbed the week before and thats how he lost his passport. Many people think this was a murder and body was staged...
Murder? Who do they think killed him?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Xxpissoff wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:47 am Believe he had gastric bypass surgery... perhaps that weakened his GI system making more susceptible to disease?
Interesting. I would lean toward this. I don't think it would make him more susceptible to disease but more sensitive to the debilitating nutrient deficiency effects associated with a bout of dysentery. Those gastric bypass things leave you in a delicate health position, with your stomach effectively the size of a walnut.

Someone told me Gen Mack had this procedure done, but that's a falsehood. He actually had a bypass flap installed near the distal median of his duodenum. This allows for the direct insertion of an entire medium sized meatlovers with pineapple thereby bypassing all that tedious chewing.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Xxpissoff wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:47 am Many people think this was a murder and body was staged...
Of course. A white person can't die in Cambodia without a theory that it was a murder and the brown people wanted his money.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

He does look like he was pretty heavy before, and although his Facebook page has been deleted, I still found a love letter he wrote to Dunkin Donuts.

ImageImage
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

General Mackevili wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:37 pm He does look like he was pretty heavy before,
Lightweight!
Strama
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Strama »

I was actually staying at this very hotel the same day the man was found dead. I came downstairs and saw police everywhere but no one told me why. This hotel is NOT filthy, it is basic but clean and the staff are very nice. I've stayed there weeks at a time, more than once- it is not filthy. As a medical professional, i can say that paramedic training does not train to take care of any condition lasting longer than about 1 hour. Their job is to get you to a hospital as quickly as possible, alive, after that, hospital staff and docs take care. He probably had runny diarrhea, which causes severe loss of potassium, a very necessary electrolyte to keep ones heart beating. Replacing lost fluids with simple water will further dilute serum potassium concentrations, probably causing his heart to either freeze up completely or caused a fatal cardiac arrhythmia. Yes, this can happen in hot, tropical very quickly, and can kill you in 2-3 days. Need to replace potassium with oral rehydration salts (ORS) or via IV fluids. I keep ORS with me when I travel, they are available at any pharmacy in se asia.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

that genius wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:42 pm Just as a matter of interest, surely dysentery takes a while after symptoms show to kill one?

Surely a pramedic would have known what to do?

Sounds like incorrect diagnosis to me.
I had this and went into shock while i were in bangkok 3:40am even tho i had started taking medicine a couple days earlier and diarrea/blood had stoped. Arms and legs started fade away, pulse 150+, flashing infront of my eyes. Im very lucky i could just go outside the hotel and take a taxi to Bangkok hospital when this happened. Could have ended worse if i were in some shithole here in Cambodia.

Personally i waited way to long until i took care of the problem and i drank way to little water/electrolydes considering that i lost both water and blood. I had diarreha for well over a month, maybe two months but i went to the doctor first when there clearly were blood in the stool as well. After doctor filled me up i was fine and could leave the emergency room after a few hours. But i stil had a odd feeling in my body for about 2 weeks after this. Now today im feeling pretty good but i would be very careful.

With age you can loose the feeling of thirst a little so its important to drink allot even if you dont feel thirsty and you can loose blood so little at the time that its hard to spot or you simply dont take to much notice of the change in color as it happened over a long time. Then one day, as for me, the body just cant take it anymore, you passed the limit.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Albror wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:03 pm I had diarreha for well over a month, maybe two months but i went to the doctor first when there clearly were blood in the stool as well.
Is this why expats are always dying young? Do they not go to doctors?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic