FOR SALE: Khmer440.com [SOLD!]

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: FOR SALE: Khmer440.com [SOLD!]

Post by StroppyChops »

As someone who paid over and above in child support, I second that idea.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

JBTrain wrote:
Cam Nivag wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote: Scoby's reasoning for not restarting the thread is sound... insomuch as my reasoning for taking the content out of the OP on our side is sound. That's not what a forum should be about, and given how much the support has shown for the guy here... can't imagine why anyone would want to subject him to the slagfest that would likely have happened over there as KiR's witchhunt gathered steam, as it so often has in the past in the face of actual evidence.
What "witchunts" have gathered steam at K440 "in the face of actual evidence?" With respect to the man in question, he pleaded guilty to lewdness with a child, he pleaded guilty to transport of stolen books, and he pleaded guilty to assault. I respect your position that old crimes should not be brought up online, but there isn't any lack of evidence there.
My own unsolicited opinion is that all that evidence adds up to a non story, the spinning of which would have the sole purpose of damaging a man's character for no particularly good reason. We all know plenty of people with stories, I don't see the value in outing them for past misdeeds whether the evidence is in the public domain or not unless there is an awfully good reason other than potential page views. Start outing guys here for unpaid child support if y'all 440/CEO) want to do such outing.
I'm always even hesitant about posting the local busts for crimes, because frame ups for cash are VERY common. In the cases where the guy has videos/pictures/etc... ok. Not much to argue there. Entrapment or not, he did it. But I almost got in hot water myself simply by taking my family to Siem Reap... was seen by a tuktuk driver leading my niece into our guesthouse (where she shared a room with her brother and sister, separate from ours) and had a mob of drivers wanting to call the police with my wife arguing with them. It got sorted... but would have gone very badly had the police been called first. Because once they're involved I have no doubt I, and perhaps my wife with them charging her for providing the children to me, would be in jail and having to pay our way out of it. And the newspapers would report it as a sex case. While it's good that they pursue such things, it's fucked on how the police here handle it... and worse how the "journalists" approach it by only taking police statements and running with them.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

I can't follow this string of posts, as I don't know the origins. Why did this NY pizza guy become front page news recently? And what does he have to do with the sale of a forum?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

That, and here we also have the Keyboard Warrior Kops Knitting Circle with nothing to occupy their sad lives except bitter gossiping and whining about the good old days. Oh, rejoice! when we think we have the scent of a scandal with which to lighten our meaningless existence! Rejoice! And should anyone fail to rejoice! with us and froth at the mouth, why, they must be a pedophile too!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

In reality, not much at all is changing at K440. Same moderation team (albeit supposedly with some new, transparent guidelines). Some of the same ownership. Same clique of long term, back-slapping posters who get away with saying things others often can not. Are Scobienz and Playboy (with their new, blossoming bro-mance) known for being particularly welcoming to new posters, or have they been just as likely to heap scorn upon, condescend to and ridicule some new posters, and allow Lucky Lucan and Falcon Randwick to dig a boot in for good measure (a bit of the way Ken Svay did to you at first, Scoooobienzzzz...and I know that is still on your mind because you brought it up there several times since).

I do wish K440 luck. I used to like that forum, although recently I have made no secret of my dislike of the little tyrant, which goes back quite a few years. How can anyone help support a website that treated posters so disgracefully and with impunity? I hope they can somehow regroup and be fun again.

But if Playboy is on board with this somewhat new and transparent direction for K440, why didn't he take some action to improve the atmosphere there long ago? I can only assume he didn't/doesn't really care one way or another. I can't foresee any noticeable change ahead there.
Last edited by Soi Dog on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Soi Dog wrote:In reality, not much at all is changing at K440. Same moderation team (albeit supposedly with some new, transparent guidelines). Some of the same ownership. Same clique of long term, back-slapping posters who get away with saying things others often can not. Are Scobienz and Playboy (with their new, blossoming bro-mance) known for being particularly welcoming to new posters, or have they been the ones most likely to heap scorn upon, condescend to and ridicule some new psoters, and allow Lucky Lucan and Falcon Randwick to dig a boot in for good measure (a bit of the way Ken Svay did to you at first, Scoooobienzzzz...and I know that is still on your mind because you brought it up there several times since).

I do wish K440 luck. I used to like that forum, although recently I have made no secret of my dislike of the little tyrant, which goes back quite a few years. How can anyone help support a website that treated posters so disgracefully and with impunity? I hope they can somehow regroup and be fun again.

But if Playboy is on board with this somewhat new and transparent direction for K440, why didn't he take some action to improve the atmosphere there long ago? I can only assume he didn't/doesn't really care one way or another. I can't foresee any noticeable change ahead there.
I will say, playboy did try... but in the end he was the minority shareholder and didn't have a huge amount of power/influence. But he did try with what little he had. It got vetoed/ignored by the majority shareholder... he even (playboy) got banned once from what I hear.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

OrangeDragon wrote: I will say, playboy did try... but in the end he was the minority shareholder and didn't have a huge amount of power/influence. But he did try with what little he had. It got vetoed/ignored by the majority shareholder... he even (playboy) got banned once from what I hear.
spot on OD, exactly what I was going to say.

Playboy is a good friend of mine and he is a real decent and fair minded guy. However he does not and never has had the keys to control of K440.

As an example, after the recent round of bannings, like rebo, OD, Cambod ,Phuket, etc when KIR went crazy with the ban hammer all the Mods and Playboy took KIR to task and KIR agreed to take a one month break from the site. That lasted 3 days and he was back banning people, then he put the site up for sale.

K440 was KIR's little fiefdom. That never worried me as his sandpit, his rules, but no one else had control of that site.

KIR did however change markedly over the years and his behaviour on the site became worse in recent times just prior to the sale and, IMHO, he was aided by a certain moderator with a similar style who also acted in a heavy handed capricious Machiavellian manner, over moderating and censoring with impunity (and whom continues to do the same in a similar vein the to this day under the new ownership). This caused the forum to go noticeably downhill over recent years.

It should also be remembered that KIR did not start the site, another really nice guy did that and gave it to KIR after a couple/few years.

It remains to be seen if posters will continue to be banned on K440 for expressing their opinions either there or elsewhere.

Unfortunately outside of what is now a small group of long term expats and board members, the reputation of k440 in Cambodia remains severely tarnished and toxic.
Last edited by LaudJohn on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

LaudJohn wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote: I will say, playboy did try... but in the end he was the minority shareholder and didn't have a huge amount of power/influence. But he did try with what little he had. It got vetoed/ignored by the majority shareholder... he even (playboy) got banned once from what I hear.
spot on OD, exactly what I was going to say.

Playboy is a good friend of mine and he is a real decent and fair minded guy. However he does not and never has had the keys to control of K440.

As an example, after the recent round of bannings, like rebo, OD, Cambod ,Phuket, etc when KIR went crazy with the ban hammer all the Mods and Playboy took KIR to task and KIR agreed to take a one month break from the site. That lasted 3 days and he was back banning people, then he put the site up for sale.

K440 was KIR's little fiefdom. That never worried me as his sandpit, his rules, but no one else had control of that site.

KIR did however change markedly over the years and his behaviour on the site became worse in recent times just prior to the sale and, IMHO, he was aided by a certain moderator with a similar style who also acted in a heavy handed capricious Machiavellian manner, over moderating and censoring with impunity (and whom continues to do the same in a similar vein the to this day under the new ownership). This caused the forum to go noticeably downhill over recent years.

It should also be remembered that KIR did not start the site, another really nice guy did that and gave it to KIR after a couple/few years.

It remains to be seen if posters will continue to be banned on K440 for expressing their opinions either their or elsewhere.

Unfortunately outside of what is now a small group of long term expats and board members, the reputation of k440 in Cambodia remains severely tarnished and toxic.
Is this the real LaudJohn? I always thought it was, but now I'm not sure...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Good post by LaudJohn. Clears things up a bit.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Is this the real LaudJohn? I always thought it was, but now I'm not sure...

Why doth thee feel the need to ask thus?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic