Cows crossing causes 5 vehicle smash, Kampong Speu

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Cows crossing causes 5 vehicle smash, Kampong Speu

Post by Duncan »

that genius wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:06 pm I bet the company will milk the cows' owner for all he is worth.
Best to read the fine print in the insurance papers first. The owner may have insured the cows for causing such an accident.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Duncan wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:24 pm
that genius wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:06 pm I bet the company will milk the cows' owner for all he is worth.
Best to read the fine print in the insurance papers first. The owner may have insured the cows for causing such an accident.
Sure. How likely is it that a farmer has his cows insured when (almost) nobody in Cambodia insures vehicles or property for accident, fire, theft ?
Btw, how many of you have insured your vehicles or property for whatever ?
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

Slowing down and leaving space between vehicles would greatly reduce the frequency of this kind of shit. Fenced in cattle too. Oh well.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

dron wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:03 pm Slowing down and leaving space between vehicles would greatly reduce the frequency of this kind of shit. Fenced in cattle too. Oh well.
That is too logical. :wink:
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

Surely importing a million Chinese and building 50 more high rise condos will help. Stay tuned.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
anonny18
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by anonny18 »

:lol:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

The end of dry season is when many farmers untether their cattle and let them proleng jawl which is the local idiom to let them roam freely to find suitable pastures. Years ago when there was less traffic it was acceptable, but customs rarely keep up with the times in Cambodia. Almost every day for the last month I've had to chase a small herd of 7-8 head of cattle from my yard.

An interesting footnote to " proleng jawl" is that wives will use it jokingly to refer to husbands who think the grass is greener on the other side.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
anonny18
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by anonny18 »

taabarang wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:58 pm The end of dry season is when many farmers untether their cattle and let them proleng jawl which is the local idiom to let them roam freely to find suitable pastures. Years ago when there was less traffic it was acceptable, but customs rarely keep up with the times in Cambodia. Almost every day for the last month I've had to chase a small herd of 7-8 head of cattle from my yard.

An interesting footnote to " proleng jawl" is that wives will use it jokingly to refer to husbands who think the grass is greener on the other side.
Ah, interesting - I didn't know that.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

anonny18 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:11 pm
taabarang wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:58 pm The end of dry season is when many farmers untether their cattle and let them proleng jawl which is the local idiom to let them roam freely to find suitable pastures. Years ago when there was less traffic it was acceptable, but customs rarely keep up with the times in Cambodia. Almost every day for the last month I've had to chase a small herd of 7-8 head of cattle from my yard.

Ah, interesting - I didn't know that. Can it be used for wandering women as well?
Neither did I.

Ps to Taa: IMHO your idioms translation threads would attract more popularity with this kind of topics instead of the recent curses and others serious matters you went for :mrgreen:
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I think in the Brit Wayne Brewster's case the grass was definitely greener on this side.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic