Zsombor Peter (Cambodia Daily Journalist) Criminally Charged in Cambodia; Appears to be Politically Motivated

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Zsombor Peter (Cambodia Daily Journalist) Criminally Charged in Cambodia; Appears to be Politically Motivated

Post by username »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:13 pm
Cam Nivag wrote:Perhaps I expect to see credit to the original news sources because your own description of the Newsworthy forum says this:

I could edit that out if it would make you feel better.
Why can't you just include the source?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Zsombor Peter (Cambodia Daily Journalist) Criminally Charged in Cambodia; Appears to be Politically Motivated

Post by General Mackevili »

username wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:58 pm
General Mackevili wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:13 pm
Cam Nivag wrote:Perhaps I expect to see credit to the original news sources because your own description of the Newsworthy forum says this:

I could edit that out if it would make you feel better.
Why can't you just include the source?
That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that actually.

If Peter Zsombor asks us to include a link to the local news source that accuses him of being arrested and that also includes his passport number, I'll be glad to oblige him.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The Cambodian journalist, who was charged with incitement last year along with Zsombor Peter when they were working for the Cambodia Daily, is applying for asylum in the USA.

Journalist charged with incitement flees amid crackdown
26 April 2018
A Cambodian journalist charged with incitement to commit a felony over his election coverage said on Tuesday he had fled the country fearing arrest and had been given refugee asylum status by the UN refugee agency.

Aun Pheap, 54, now in the United States, was charged in August last year along with a colleague, Zsombor Peter, a Canadian, after an interview with former opposition members.

It was not immediately clear what felony they were suspected of inciting. The pair worked for the now closed Cambodia Daily and face up to two years in prison if found guilty.
“If I go back to Cambodia, it is for sure that I will be arrested,” Mr Pheap said on Tuesday from the US, where he is attending a journalism workshop and waiting to hear back about an asylum application there.

Mr Pheap said the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) granted him refugee status in January and that he left for the United States on March 25. He also denied the charges against him. UNHCR declined to comment on the case.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50483803/j ... crackdown/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

If I were a Cambodian journalist in the USA for a workshop, I'd apply for asylum too. I'd say he's got a pretty good claim for it.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

According to the Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail the case against Canadian journalist Zsombor Peter, for incitement to commit a felony, will finally be heard by the court on 25 December 2019. The charge relates to Mr Peter's work as a journalist in May 2017 during the last Cambodian elections.

Canadian journalist Zsombor Peter, facing criminal charge in Cambodia, urges Ottawa to denounce case
22 December 2019
Janice Dickson
A Canadian journalist who was charged two years ago with incitement to commit a felony while covering an election campaign in Cambodia says he wants to know why the Canadian government has not publicly denounced the case as the trial moves ahead for Christmas Day.

Zsombor Peter said he was working as a reporter for the English-language newspaper The Cambodia Daily in May, 2017, when he travelled to Ratanakiri Province with Cambodian colleague, Aun Pheap, to report on country-wide community elections.

“We had gone simply to find out what was on the minds of registered voters as the polls approached. We spent most of a day interviewing villagers in Pate commune at random about their political leanings and related thoughts and concerns,” he said in an e-mail.

The police had stopped the journalists on two occasions to ask why they were there, Mr. Peter said, but they had left them alone. The next day, they learned that two of their interview subjects, and another man who wasn’t interviewed, complained to local authorities about them. Months later, the complaint made its way to court and they were charged with incitement to commit a felony.

“For the record, Pheap and I did not intimidate or incite anyone and the charge is not only baseless but absurd, lacking a shred of evidence,” said Mr. Peter, who has not returned to Cambodia since leaving in October, 2017.

The charge carries a prison sentence of up to two years.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... -cambodia/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Court Delays Hearing Against Cambodia Daily Reporters
Morm Moniroth and Leonie Kijewski
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:14 pm
A provincial court delayed a hearing against former Cambodia Daily reporters Aun Pheap and Zsombor Peter on Wednesday for an indefinite period, citing the absence of a judge.

The pair is being tried at the Ratanakiri Provincial Court in a case that some observers decried as intimidation against journalists. They were charged with “incitement to commit a felony” after they interviewed villagers about their voting decisions prior to commune elections in 2017. Pate commune was the only commune in the province that elected now-outlawed opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) candidates in the 2012 commune elections.

Presiding Judge Kong Taing Meng said the hearing would be postponed indefinitely. “[Consulting] Judge Chanseyha has a special mission to India based on the request from the Ministry of Justice,” he said.

Peter declined to comment and Pheap could not be reached on Wednesday.

Sek Sophorn asked to continue the hearing, but Judge Taing Meng granted the prosecutor’s request.
https://vodenglish.news/court-delays-he ... reporters/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Talking Cambodia Daily journalists..
Does anyone know if the CD journalist who was sitting right next to Chut Wutty when he was shot ever gave a full account of what they saw.

They fled the country Immediately afterwards, and refused to comment for at least some time.
That is the last i heard.
(my memory is that it was a young female intern, canadian (??), but i could be wrong)
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

SternAAlbifrons wrote:Talking Cambodia Daily journalists..
Does anyone know if the CD journalist who was sitting right next to Chut Wutty when he was shot ever gave a full account of what they saw.

They fled the country Immediately afterwards, and refused to comment for at least some time.
(my memory is that it was a young female intern, canadian (??), but i could be wrong)
The fullest account I've seen from either of the two

"We were traveling in the majestic and threatened Cardamom mountains in southwest Cambodia with the country’s pre-eminent forestry activist, Chut Wutty, when we stopped at an illegal logging site. Approached by menacing military police, we had our cameras stripped away and were prevented from leaving. Minutes later, Wutty was shot dead by one of the soldiers and we were threatened with the same fate. “Just kill them both,” we heard them say."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cambodia ... _b_1876136
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

Hi guys,

you can find "I am Chut Wutty" documentary on Youtube :
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

epidemiks wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:33 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote:Talking Cambodia Daily journalists..

The fullest account I've seen from either of the two

"We were traveling in the majestic and threatened Cardamom mountains in southwest Cambodia with the country’s pre-eminent forestry activist, Chut Wutty, when we stopped at an illegal logging site. Approached by menacing military police, we had our cameras stripped away and were prevented from leaving. Minutes later, Wutty was shot dead by one of the soldiers and we were threatened with the same fate. “Just kill them both,” we heard them say."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cambodia ... _b_1876136
Thanks Epidemia. Yes Olesia Plokhii. Thanks.
But that is all she seems to have ever come out with. I had always hoped for more details, context, vibes etc from a western journalist on the spot.

Cambodian journalist Phorn Bopha was the other one on the spot
- she certainly deserves her Courage in Journalism Award
good piece about her here.
https://www.iwmf.org/2013/09/bopha-phor ... ism-award/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic