What items would you most like to see in an Import Store?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: What items would you most like to see in an Import Store

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

HotRecruiter wrote:Crystal Light.
Haha my workplace used to have these available everywhere. I took them really often at first but then got a bit bored of them.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

potty wrote:i cant really imagine, if there is a special thing, that would make sense to import - if you are not a big reseller...
the big barbeques, well.. hm...
make up... hm... you need a lot (of colors, textures, and there are a lot of online stores out there).

the problem in cambodia is ONLINE SHOPPING
- payment (paypal, bank account )
- shipping (companies dont ship, also for payment in general weird).

if you had a forwarder company...
- i will order you to buy a thing in a certain shop (incl. ebay) for a certain price
- and you pay (maybe not always necessary) and forward it to me
i would be interested.

partly, this concept is existing (only forwarding, without paying), but its anyway too expensive.
10% on the total shop price would be fine to pay, plus cheap tracked shipping from the US.
any business running at at 10% would likely be running as a loss. just to ship me 5 packets of gardening seeds from the US my friend was about to have to shell out $30 at the cheapest option with tracking.
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
HotRecruiter wrote:Crystal Light.
Haha my workplace used to have these available everywhere. I took them really often at first but then got a bit bored of them.
In Cambodia? They still have it here? Can't find it in any major super market ...

Yes, almost every fitness trainer I know suggests Crystal Light (in the US).

Rick o'shea is onto something, most NGO/Western transplants have nothing to do here, so they turn into fitness folks to stave off the boredom in their off-time. They don't go whoring and drinking, so ...
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Not in Cambodia... An old job. Why would fitness trainers recommend crystal lights?! They're just aspartame and flavoring as far as I know...
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

0 calories and no carbonation (a diuretic, causing dehydration). Aspartame better than saccharin, and the flavor is almost right in Crystal Light.

So hydrate with no caloric debt.
Dara
Expatriate

Post by Dara »

cherry life savers
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Yeah, a GNC type of product line would be a good idea! Thanks for that.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

HotRecruiter wrote:0 calories and no carbonation (a diuretic, causing dehydration). Aspartame better than saccharin, and the flavor is almost right in Crystal Light.

Yeah, but regular water is better...

As for GNC, a bit of a pain. I considered it around five years ago, but after doing some due diligence I dropped the idea as those types of products have a 40% import tax. So even if you bought the cheapest products available in the west, you'd have to mark them up considerably. The few supplement shops that have popped up in town since them haven't faired so well because of this.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
HotRecruiter wrote:0 calories and no carbonation (a diuretic, causing dehydration). Aspartame better than saccharin, and the flavor is almost right in Crystal Light.

Yeah, but regular water is better...

As for GNC, a bit of a pain. I considered it around five years ago, but after doing some due diligence I dropped the idea as those types of products have a 40% import tax. So even if you bought the cheapest products available in the west, you'd have to mark them up considerably. The few supplement shops that have popped up in town since them haven't faired so well because of this.
Ouch, wasn't aware of that. However there are some things which may be considered borderline, such as fitness bars and gels, which could probably just be passed off as "snacks".
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

1) Stevia as aspartame and the others are just poison.
2) Packs of tube socks white/gray. I can get them at walmart in the states, but not here or Singapore. They are cheap, last a long time and stop bugs from bitting your feet.(At the end of the day, would you rather have dirty socks or dirty feet?)
3) I had to have a friend bring me a gas Bar-B-Q from Canada. Not assembled they aren't that big and you can't get them here. Retail in America/Canada is between $100 and $200.
4) Real garden hoses, not the junk they have here.

The first person in Cambodia that opens an auto parts store like Autozone or Pepboys is going to be rich. The same with a person that opens up an Ace-like hardware store. I get tired of crawling over junk in dirty dim lit stores and/or being told "no have" and walking over and grabbing the no-have product off the shelf. Its all in the marketing. Clean shop, uniformed English speaking employees, shelves with products that actually have a price on them, well presented products and a computer inventory system. If a company can make the Cambodians believe that the Cr*p that the overpriced Pizza Company puts out is real food/pizza, than they can be educated that they really need to shop at a real autoparts/hardware store.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic