Chinese "Fake Monk" YAN FENGLONG Begging Riel Money, Arrested in Kampong Cham

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
ricanguy
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Re: Chinese "Fake Monk" YAN FENGLONG Begging Riel Money, Arrested in Kampong Cham

Post by ricanguy »

Haha I remember my first week here i got scammed by that guy...
Life's simple you make choices and you don't look back.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Chinese "Fake Monk" YAN FENGLONG Begging Riel Money, Arrested in Kampong Cham

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Khmer fake monk raises funds for his meth habit.

23 April 2018
Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday charged a teen for disguising himself as a Buddhist monk and collecting alms to fund his drug addiction.

San Chanthol, a police officer with Sen Sok district police, identified the accused as Yuon Loh, 19, from Siem Reap province.

Mr Chanthol said he was yesterday charged with drug use and unauthorised wearing of Buddhist robes, noting he faces six months to three years imprisonment if convicted. Mr Chanthol said that on Saturday at about 7am, the teen walked from house to house in Sen Sok district collecting alms from villagers, earning at least $10.

Mr Chanthol said while raising funds from villagers, the accused claimed that he was collecting the funds to pay for the construction of a temple in Siem Reap province.

But after raising the money, the accused bought two small packages of crystal methamphetamine, Mr Chanthol said.

He added that after buying the drugs, the suspect travelled by a motorbike taxi to a guesthouse in Teuk Thla commune to smoke the drugs.

While smoking, the guesthouse cleaner saw him and reported him to the guesthouse owner, who in turn reported him to local police.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50303611/m ... for-drugs/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CBEQ
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by CBEQ »

I've seen many monks around the country wearing different colored robes. A friend of mine told me you can tell the 'real monks' by their brightly orange colored robes and the 'fake' ones by their weird red/yellow ones.

There was a point during Pchum Ben in which the monks were all supposed to be at the pagoda praying towards the end of the holiday. I was drinking with local Khmer friends and they saw a monk walking around very late at night asking for money. They confronted him (because he should not have been out at that time) and he hastily took off in the other direction.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:22 pm I was hoping it was the guy who begs on Riverside and plays the bracelet scam.
Him? newsworthy/chinese-monk-arrested-for-re ... t5401.html
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:40 pm At least he had the right visa.
No he didn't. His visa expired in January and he was arrested in April.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

CBEQ wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:57 am I've seen many monks around the country wearing different colored robes. A friend of mine told me you can tell the 'real monks' by their brightly orange colored robes and the 'fake' ones by their weird red/yellow ones.

There was a point during Pchum Ben in which the monks were all supposed to be at the pagoda praying towards the end of the holiday. I was drinking with local Khmer friends and they saw a monk walking around very late at night asking for money. They confronted him (because he should not have been out at that time) and he hastily took off in the other direction.
real monks from different countries hv different coloured robes, china, taiwan, malaysia, singapore hv more yellow coloured robes, himalayan region hv saffron coloured robes, also depends on what sect of buddhism the monks are in

most asian countries hv diff sects thats why u cld see diff coloured robes in one country

anytime a monk ask for money is wrong, any country, any sect of buddhism
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

fax wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:39 am
StroppyChops wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:22 pm I was hoping it was the guy who begs on Riverside and plays the bracelet scam.
Him? newsworthy/chinese-monk-arrested-for-re ... t5401.html
Yeah, him.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Aggressive motherfucker.

River in blanket.
CBEQ
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by CBEQ »

bolueeleh wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:47 am
CBEQ wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:57 am I've seen many monks around the country wearing different colored robes. A friend of mine told me you can tell the 'real monks' by their brightly orange colored robes and the 'fake' ones by their weird red/yellow ones.

real monks from different countries hv different coloured robes, china, taiwan, malaysia, singapore hv more yellow coloured robes, himalayan region hv saffron coloured robes, also depends on what sect of buddhism the monks are in

most asian countries hv diff sects thats why u cld see diff coloured robes in one country

anytime a monk ask for money is wrong, any country, any sect of buddhism
Ah, thank you. Learned something new today, so my day was not wasted.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic