American Tourist ROSS WESTCOTT CHAGNON Dies of Dysentery in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: American Tourist ROSS WESTCOTT CHAGNON Dies of Dysentery in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by that genius »

Just as a matter of interest, surely dysentery takes a while after symptoms show to kill one?

Surely a pramedic would have known what to do?

Sounds like incorrect diagnosis to me.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: American Tourist ROSS WESTCOTT CHAGNON Dies of Dysentery in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Duncan »

that genius wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:42 pm Just as a matter of interest, surely dysentery takes a while after symptoms show to kill one?

Many years ago, somewhere up north they had many cases of death from dysentery. I think they refused to call it cholera or typhoid or whatever the official name was.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Amandarae16
Tourist
Brazil

Post by Amandarae16 »

that genius wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:42 pm Just as a matter of interest, surely dysentery takes a while after symptoms show to kill one?

I agree. Seems like he was only sick for a day or 2 before he died.
%) 8) :Yahoo!: :facepalm:
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

that genius wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:45 pm Sure, but I remember an Arabic/Indian (?) guy who was mentioned and some KKK-mentality guy saying he couldn't be French?
That was me saying that, but i am a bit too busy atm. I would never state that this guy ain’t Amerikan, despite his French sounding surname. He clearly stands open for other cultures and religions. While these ‘Frenchmen’ that i was talking about aren’t much likeable in most cases, and force their religion upon all despicable others.
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bacillary Dysentery is one of the leading causes of death worldwide, but that's usually among weakened/ malnourished individuals without access to sanitation, potable water, electrolytes etc. Maybe they are talking about Amoebic Dysentery though?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Ex-paramedic, 28, on a round-the-world trip dies from dysentery in his filthy Cambodian hotel room hours after sending friends a message joking about his situation
Updated: 11:21 BST, 23 April 2018
A former paramedic who was on a backpacking trip around the world has died of dysentery in his filthy hotel room in Cambodia.

Ross Chagnon, 28, was pictured enjoying street food and beer in Bangkok, Thailand, on April 7 before arriving in the Cambodian capital of Phnom Penh on April 10.

But the American traveler fell ill shortly afterwards – and joked with friends in a message the night before he died: 'Pro Tip: Don't Get dysentery'.

Mr Chagnon, from Brooklyn, New York, was found dead the following morning passed out after sitting on the side of his bed in only a pair of boxer shorts.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -room.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

If the poor guy really had dysentery then dehydration can happen pretty fast. Especially in the tropics. If you're not used to the conditions here....

And yes, you'd expect a paramedic to know first thing to do is to connect yourself to a serious drip to add fluids to your body. But he didn't.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

The room was 'filthy'?
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:32 pm Ex-paramedic, 28, on a round-the-world trip dies from dysentery in his filthy Cambodian hotel room hours after sending friends a message joking about his situation
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Brody wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:39 pm The room was 'filthy'?
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:32 pm Ex-paramedic, 28, on a round-the-world trip dies from dysentery in his filthy Cambodian hotel room hours after sending friends a message joking about his situation
I thought that. For a fleapit there's no blood/spunk stain on the sheet and the walls aren't covered in cobwebs and lizard shit, so in my view it's pretty clean.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

You can see the presence/absence of spunk stains in that photo?

Pretty practised eye.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic