State resolves case against Cambodian pizzeria owner

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: State resolves case against Cambodian pizzeria owner

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Sailorman wrote:Not so, I only answer offensive comments aimed at me with barbed answers. Play nice-nice, you get treated like a fellow human being, Act like a foul mouthed fool you are treated like one.

All illegal aliens who have invaded my country being called "Mexicans?" I'm sorry I didn't know the geography police where on board. I really don't care were their come from, they are people who knowingly broke the law in my country and are being treated better than the American citizens. Its interesting to see that Australia is having a "boat people" problem, but at least they have the good sense to not let them land and ship them to someplace not on there own territory before they are shipped home. Good on you Australia, your politicians have more guts then the idiots we have running America.
Your comments have a time and place, but this is the wrong thread. P.S. I agree with you on Australia's illegal immigrant policy. We (Australia) need to send a message.
Dara
Expatriate

Post by Dara »

General Mackevili wrote:Just to clarify a bit...

This might be a touchy subject on K440 for good reason, so cut the new owners a bit of slack.

Basically,

And as a funny aside, we even had a few people approach us and ask us if we thought the expose was about them, and then they proceeded to tell us their own sketchy story of what they thought it might be about, LoL! I would fathom a guess that no less than 10 expats were packed and ready to leave at a moment's notice when Khmer440's expose dropped, and at least 5 left already just to be safe, LoL!.
So, I can come back now?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Dara wrote:
So, I can come back now?
Ha! How far did you get? I'm guessing you messaged me from the airport! :lol:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Dara
Expatriate

Post by Dara »

It is wintertime here.
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

The chubby little Mexican girls are the best looking women in the US. Wish we had a few more of them in Europe.

And they have great food.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

General Mackevili wrote:We think KiR did the right thing...
Since getting to know you and OD personally I have come to admire the tact and diplomacy you both exhibit at times. This is something that is sadly lacking in Australian culture that we can learn from Americans.

However, if KiR's 'great announcement that would rock the expat community' was actually the story in the OP, I am surprised to see you frame his actions and intent in any positive light.

Anyone with life experience on Hard Street knows that journalists don't go easy for the sake of dignity, and the newspaper article didn't pull any punches - yet it was clearly about how flawed legal process has screwed over a guy that committed what amounts to a social misdemeanor for which he served his penance, redesigned himself, and is a massively contributing member of this society.

I know this guy personally, I have transacted business with him, I believe I know the full and complete story behind the newspaper article, and I consider him a friend.

If KiR's big expose was to 'out' this guy in some spectacular fashion, I do not accept that he backed away from doing so out of any sense of decency as he has often demonstrated he is an indecent excuse for a human. Rather, it is more probable that someone pointed out to him in time the likely consequences of trying to make a mountain out of this particular molehill.

I would not be surprised to hear that the timing of the sale of K440 was related to KiR's sudden discovery that he'd bitten off far more than he could chew by attempting to bully this particular expat.

But like the coward he is he chose (wisely, in this case) to slink off into the shadows and avoid the hornets nest he'd stirred up. No surprise to hear he attempted to clean up the crap trail he created that points straight to him.

My point, though, is that sometimes your discretion and diplomacy seem oddly placed.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Born-Confused »

StroppyChops wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:We think KiR did the right thing...
Since getting to know you and OD personally I have come to admire the tact and diplomacy you both exhibit at times. This is something that is sadly lacking in Australian culture that we can learn from Americans.

However, if KiR's 'great announcement that would rock the expat community' was actually the story in the OP, I am surprised to see you frame his actions and intent in any positive light.

Anyone with life experience on Hard Street knows that journalists don't go easy for the sake of dignity, and the newspaper article didn't pull any punches - yet it was clearly about how flawed legal process has screwed over a guy that committed what amounts to a social misdemeanor for which he served his penance, redesigned himself, and is a massively contributing member of this society.

I know this guy personally, I have transacted business with him, I believe I know the full and complete story behind the newspaper article, and I consider him a friend.

If KiR's big expose was to 'out' this guy in some spectacular fashion, I do not accept that he backed away from doing so out of any sense of decency as he has often demonstrated he is an indecent excuse for a human. Rather, it is more probable that someone pointed out to him in time the likely consequences of trying to make a mountain out of this particular molehill.

I would not be surprised to hear that the timing of the sale of K440 was related to KiR's sudden discovery that he'd bitten off far more than he could chew by attempting to bully this particular expat.

But like the coward he is he chose (wisely, in this case) to slink off into the shadows and avoid the hornets nest he'd stirred up. No surprise to hear he attempted to clean up the crap trail he created that points straight to him.

My point, though, is that sometimes your discretion and diplomacy seem oddly placed.
For all those who accuse KIR as a judgmental prick, you're doing a pretty good job imitating him.

There have been several news events that first appeared on K440 as a scoop, and which later both national and international news outlets caught onto. This maybe one of those where he used good discretion not to run with it as facts became clearer and not due to what some claim as trying to increase traffic on his site.....otherwise, he would have left it up!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Born-Confused wrote:For all those who accuse KIR as a judgmental prick, you're doing a pretty good job imitating him.
You think so? I think I put up a pretty rational post about why I think the guy is a jerk in this instance. He'd have just deleted what he didn't like. You're entitled to call me a judgmental prick. Doesn't mean you're right.
There have been several news events that first appeared on K440 as a scoop, and which later both national and international news outlets caught onto. This maybe one of those where he used good discretion not to run with it as facts became clearer and not due to what some claim as trying to increase traffic on his site.....otherwise, he would have left it up!
I call BS. The way he was grandstanding prior to releasing his 'expose' makes this BS. He was attention whoring, plain and simple, and it blew up in his face.
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

StroppyChops wrote: Anyone with life experience on Hard Street knows that journalists don't go easy for the sake of dignity, and the newspaper article didn't pull any punches - yet it was clearly about how flawed legal process has screwed over a guy that committed what amounts to a social misdemeanor for which he served his penance, redesigned himself, and is a massively contributing member of this society.

Maybe your friendship with the guy and your feelings toward KiR are clouding your judgment a bit. I don't think acts of lewdness with a child and theft of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of someone else's property are "social misdemeanors."

Also, I don't know how you would know the "full and complete" story. Maybe you have heard his version, but I don't think it would be wise or reasonable to assume that it is the truth. People with criminal records often later "explain" them in way that casts them in a favorable light, but may not be completely true.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PhnomRon wrote:Maybe your friendship with the guy and your feelings toward KiR are clouding your judgment a bit.
That's always a possibility.

Tell me this, when you were a teenager would you have thought to ask for proof of age if a foreign girl looked the age she told you she was?

My view of KiR's behavior is hardly unique, but I'm sure he has positive qualities.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic