Rabies Red Alert in Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Rabies Red Alert in Thailand

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Thai authorities remain on high alert after facing worst outbreak since 1980
April 16, 2018
Thailand has set a target of becoming a rabies-free country by 2020, and the government has put the nation on full alert following the worst infection rate in nearly four decades.
Experts on public health are calling for immediate and comprehensive cooperation from the government, local authorities and the public, warning that the current situation is at a critical point.

At least seven people have died of rabies so far this year, increasing at a faster rate than last year, when 11 people died of the disease. That has set off alarms and forced the government to announce a serious outbreak of rabies, with millions of doses of vaccines being sent to local administrations nationwide.
“This is a critical level and what we, as veterinarians, can do is to help vaccinate dogs and cats as much as we can in order to help stop the outbreak,” said Prof. Roongroje Thanawongnuwech, the dean of Faculty of Veterinary Science at Chulalongkorn University.
Hospitals, governmental buildings and educational institutes across the country are being used as the government’s public-relations arms with brochures, campaigns and banners containing a message that encourages pet owners to vaccinate their dogs and cats to help halt the outbreak.

Wichan Pawan, a senior official at the Department of Livestock Development, or DLD, said the law empowered his agency to announce the rabies outbreak earlier this year and allow it to control the regions that have been reported with the disease.
So far, thirty-five of Thailand’s 77 provinces have been declared as red-zones, places where the rabies virus has been discovered and under tighter surveillance.
https://pattayaone.news/en/thai-authori ... ince-1980/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Rabies Red Alert in Thailand

Post by that genius »

Only solution, licences and fees, everything else gets wiped out. Sad, but effective.

In the past Thais were taught to love stray dogs...this has to stop
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I asked some children in a village, "Have you ever been bitten by a dog?"

Most of the children in that village have been bitten by a dog, and most of them more than once.

I think Cambodian authorities should kill stray dogs, and there should be penalties for people who let their dogs bite people. With people who don't control their dogs and repeat offenders, the dogs should be killed.

The other side of the coin is. Dogs prevent a lot of theft.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Dogs prevent almost zero theft.

Khmers buy/get dogs to prevent theft.

However, they never train them or get up when they bark.

Thieves know this, and simply poison the dogs.

Doh factor.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Some people just stay in the tourist areas in the cities.

If you go out and explore many places, it is common for barking dogs to come at you. Most don't bite, particularly if you know how to react, but there is no saying when anyone could get bitten.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic