Buying An Ounce Of Gold.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PhnomPenhTutor
Tourist
Cambodia

Buying An Ounce Of Gold.

Post by PhnomPenhTutor »

Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend where to go in PP to purchase an ounce of gold, please?

They come pre-sealed in plastic, I believe.

I have read some horror stories about people being had over by sellers who just fob them off with a gold plated metal, like lead etc. I don't know how true this is but am looking forward to your advice/opinions.

Thanks in advance.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Buying An Ounce Of Gold.

Post by bolueeleh »

PhnomPenhTutor wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:40 am Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend where to go in PP to purchase an ounce of gold, please?

They come pre-sealed in plastic, I believe.

I have read some horror stories about people being had over by sellers who just fob them off with a gold plated metal, like lead etc. I don't know how true this is but am looking forward to your advice/opinions.

Thanks in advance.
come pre sealed in plastic? i am assuming u r buying for investment? i dont think any bank or gold dealer here is reputable enough to sell investment grade gold coins, even if they do sell those, when u r ready to sell them it wld be a hassle, as they arent reputable enough to be trusted "encased" in plastic

P.s. if u r not buying for investment then lots shops sells gold squares in various weights encased in plastic
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Why ??
The price of gold doesn't change country to country so you should buy it in a country that has some safeguards for the buyers
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

Take a quick bus trip to HCMC. Cheaper and less chance of being scammed, but still do your homework. Many Khmer jewlers/gold mules do this.

https://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-spot-fa ... 271/g.html
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

beaker wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:49 am Why ??
The price of gold doesn't change country to country so you should buy it in a country that has some safeguards for the buyers
even if u buy famous gold coins like maple leaf or south african rands, they wont know that shit here, most probably they would take it out of the casing and biting it or blowing it and holding it to their ears :lol: :lol: :lol:
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

beaker wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:49 am Why ??
The price of gold doesn't change country to country...
I think this is incorrect. Some countries tax gold (India?). Not sure if this link is helpful, but: http://preciousmetaltax.com/countries/
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

gold price now 1300++ per once, customs declaration is usually 5k or 10k or 20k (USD) in more financially open country like hong kong, so in actual fact u cld only bring abt 2 or 3 legally b4 u hv to declare it.

P.s. on the declaration forms it says 5k USD cash or any derivatives

P.s.s. diamonds r much better smuggling derivatives, most diamond larger than 1 carat hv laser inscriptions inside it, making it easy for verifications, also ur arse will thank u for it :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic