Pol Pot, Head of Khmer Rouge, died 20 Years Ago

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Pol Pot, Head of Khmer Rouge, died 20 Years Ago

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Twenty years after Pol Pot died a broken man, his memory looms large
Erin Handley | Publication date 13 April 2018 | 06:23 ICT
Two decades have passed, but Mea Chron still stands by Pol Pot. Most days he also stands by the mass murderer’s cremation site, keeping guard in the Khmer Rouge’s last stronghold of Anlong Veng.

Pol Pot, the widely reviled despot who spearheaded the Khmer Rouge regime that presided over the deaths of at least 1.7 million people, died 20 years ago on Sunday. Today, despite the horrors of the killing fields having long since been brought to light, he remains a revered figure for some.

“I regret that when Pol Pot died, I could not go to the funeral,” said Chron, now 65. The former chief of a Khmer Rouge bodyguard unit, Chron found Pol Pot a strict operator, but one he considered a close companion whose ideology he admired.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national- ... ooms-large
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Pol Pot, Head of Khmer Rouge, died 20 Years Ago

Post by StroppyChops »

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but I still wonder whether Clinton coming clean on Lewinsky was a deliberate act to marginalise the death of Pol Pot in the media, in an attempt to minimise the US involvement with the Khmer Rouge. I'm sure this article by Nate Thayer has been posted previously but it's topical given the 20-year anniversary of Pol Pot's death.
By the time of Pol Pot’s death in 1998, no governments, even China, who previously appeared unconcerned with international opinion, could be seen as having friendly—or any—relations with the Khmer Rouge.
I watched Monica Lewinsky play over and over on CNN, flashbulbs sparking, as she fled into a courthouse, to face the full puissance of the American justice system. It did not elude me that it was a twisted reality that the Lewinsky affairs sordid details of superfluous justice was far more newsworthy than that which had been deemed appropriate for pursuit of Pol Pot, who stood accused of crimes against humanity.
Were the two events merely coincidental? [/rhetorical question]

The article is well worth a read if you haven't already seen it.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Well they've been using Kim Kardashian's butt to cover up a multitude of sins, anything is possible without ethics/morality.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Kim Kardashian's butt is large enough to cover a lot of subject matters, i assume :D
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic