Sympathy for the devil

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sympathy for the devil

Post by Artful Dodger »

About 20 years ago when I first ventured into Vietnam, the locals referred to Filipinos as the Jews of the Pacific, while Filipinos referred to Vietnamese as the Jews of Asia. I am now thinking Cambodia is a runner up, if not leading the pool.

I speak in the topic of the Girly Bars which according to Forbes economic data, is a economy/trade indicator as is the amount of rubbish delivered to the tip in New York city.

When I first ventured into Vietnam, "bar fines" in the girly bars were unheard of, but now are becoming more common. Perhaps most now demand bar fines. This precursor entered Cambodia girly bars well before it did in Vietnam and I doubt any girly bar now in HE's empire do not demand it.

That being said, I feel sympathy for the bar girl who's income seems to be reducing, while the bar owners increases. In the infamous street 136 in P.P., and in bars of Sihanoukville Square, I speak with the bar girls (impossible not to without telling them to "F" off.)
The girls tell me of the varying bar fines to be paid to take a girl out, of which the girl receives none of that. It is also the common situation that of what payment the girl is paid by her horny customer, the bar takes a percentage. Talking with a few girls at the Butterfly Bar in P.P., they told me they paid half of their payment back to the bar. I recall a few years ago where the girls at the same bar said they retained all of what their customer paid them.

I do not recall the name of the bar where a bar girl there told me she had to pay the bar $5 a day to be there looking for customers, wether she had a customer or not, and the customer still had to pay a bar fine if he took her.

Am I mistaken in my observation? Is it the case that the bar owners are increasing their takings at the expense of the bar girl?

As a economic reflection, in talking with a friend of mine who is in obtaining supply for the Korean clothing supplier she works for , she tells me it is now the case that most, if not all garment manufacturers, have introduced a system where first time employees work without salary for 3 months for what they call "training period". She tells me now creeping in, is where the employer has the new employee pay a fee to the employer for that 3 training period before receiving salary.
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Sympathy for the devil

Post by frank lee bent »

she tells me it is now the case that most, if not all garment manufacturers, have introduced a system where first time employees work without salary for 3 months for what they call "training period"
i would find this difficult to believe as wages are constantly increasing due to the inability to find staff
the pace of change in Cambodia has been a striking feature since i first visited.
Khmers are no pushover
i liked it better before the Chinese took over.
but then geriatrics always do.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Artful Dodger wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:00 am About 20 years ago when I first ventured into Vietnam, the locals referred to Filipinos as the Jews of the Pacific, while Filipinos referred to Vietnamese as the Jews of Asia. I am now thinking Cambodia is a runner up, if not leading the pool.

I speak in the topic of the Girly Bars which according to Forbes economic data, is a economy/trade indicator as is the amount of rubbish delivered to the tip in New York city.

When I first ventured into Vietnam, "bar fines" in the girly bars were unheard of, but now are becoming more common. Perhaps most now demand bar fines. This precursor entered Cambodia girly bars well before it did in Vietnam and I doubt any girly bar now in HE's empire do not demand it.

That being said, I feel sympathy for the bar girl who's income seems to be reducing, while the bar owners increases. In the infamous street 136 in P.P., and in bars of Sihanoukville Square, I speak with the bar girls (impossible not to without telling them to "F" off.)
The girls tell me of the varying bar fines to be paid to take a girl out, of which the girl receives none of that. It is also the common situation that of what payment the girl is paid by her horny customer, the bar takes a percentage. Talking with a few girls at the Butterfly Bar in P.P., they told me they paid half of their payment back to the bar. I recall a few years ago where the girls at the same bar said they retained all of what their customer paid them.

I do not recall the name of the bar where a bar girl there told me she had to pay the bar $5 a day to be there looking for customers, wether she had a customer or not, and the customer still had to pay a bar fine if he took her.

Am I mistaken in my observation? Is it the case that the bar owners are increasing their takings at the expense of the bar girl?

As a economic reflection, in talking with a friend of mine who is in obtaining supply for the Korean clothing supplier she works for , she tells me it is now the case that most, if not all garment manufacturers, have introduced a system where first time employees work without salary for 3 months for what they call "training period". She tells me now creeping in, is where the employer has the new employee pay a fee to the employer for that 3 training period before receiving salary.
what you mean when you say " jews" of the ___ can you clarify?
As far as I can remember there are always bar fines... I been coming here since about 2010
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

ahh yes.... seems that ur assessment of financial markets and bars scene have been a little off, perhaps a little rusty? time to get updated :beer3:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

BklynBoy wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:45 am

Is the generic term given to people who are considered money grabbers. Sometimes considered racist or politically incorrect. I am no P.C. !! (I am also of Jewish origin myself)
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Artful Dodger wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:00 amAs a economic reflection, in talking with a friend of mine who is in obtaining supply for the Korean clothing supplier she works for , she tells me it is now the case that most, if not all garment manufacturers, have introduced a system where first time employees work without salary for 3 months for what they call "training period". She tells me now creeping in, is where the employer has the new employee pay a fee to the employer for that 3 training period before receiving salary.
She's either ignorant or on a sympathy drive.

Totally illegal under the Labour Law, and there is an election coming up. There is no way such a practice would be tolerated.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Artful Dodger wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:04 am
BklynBoy wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:45 am

Is the generic term given to people who are considered money grabbers. Sometimes considered racist or politically incorrect. I am no P.C. !! (I am also of Jewish origin myself)
I wasn't sure but thought that's what you meant... your a dick.. but ok..
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

On another note, I'm really interested in your writing style, in both this thread and on another. It's almost as if you're trying too hard, but that's just my opinion.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

that genius wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:06 am
Artful Dodger wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:00 amAs a economic reflection, in talking with a friend of mine who is in obtaining supply for the Korean clothing supplier she works for , she tells me it is now the case that most, if not all garment manufacturers, have introduced a system where first time employees work without salary for 3 months for what they call "training period". She tells me now creeping in, is where the employer has the new employee pay a fee to the employer for that 3 training period before receiving salary.
She's either ignorant or on a sympathy drive.

Totally illegal under the Labour Law, and there is an election coming up. There is no way such a practice would be tolerated.
actually there are such practices in small factories and shops, they called it apprenticeship :shock:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

he stated that 'most, if not all garment manufacturers'.

Patently untrue.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic