The CEO dilemma

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Re: The CEO dilemma

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

Well said Frank Lee bent. Perhaps we could also have a warning line or two before we start talking graphically about torture or how someone died.
Using Tapatalk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Ok, sober and mostly awake now... here's my take on this stuff. You guys are talking (and GMack and I have been offline) about quality/content of posts a lot. The issue is for us, the admins, to try and 'force' that sort of thing we end up becoming what we criticized others about. Over-moderating Nazis. So my solution for this is to assign that job to you, the posters, to determine the kind of content you consider quality and thank the people giving it while criticizing those giving poor content.

Public response/peer pressure will be the driving tool in moderating poster quality... meaning that at the end of the day YOU control what kind of forum this is.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Well said Frank, it was one thing that i disliked about reading that other forum. I really hope that the same will not be happening over here.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

hmmm anonymity, self moderation and altruism while avoiding the pitfalls of crudity and prudity.
A bold experiment.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

By and large the anonymity seems to often unravel itself in regional forums. People end up meeting in real live, circles cross circles, pretty much everyone ends up knowing who pretty much everyone is in real life.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

QED and facebook now eating the various fora - not so anonymous.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

"League Of Gentlemen" Phnom Penh style!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

OrangeDragon wrote:The issue is for us, the admins, to try and 'force' that sort of thing we end up becoming what we criticized others about. Over-moderating Nazis.
Hear hear. Well said, old chap.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

IraHayes wrote:"League Of Gentlemen" Phnom Penh style!
And ladies
Using Tapatalk
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

OrangeDragon wrote:Ok, sober and mostly awake now... here's my take on this stuff. You guys are talking (and GMack and I have been offline) about quality/content of posts a lot. The issue is for us, the admins, to try and 'force' that sort of thing we end up becoming what we criticized others about. Over-moderating Nazis. So my solution for this is to assign that job to you, the posters, to determine the kind of content you consider quality and thank the people giving it while criticizing those giving poor content.

Public response/peer pressure will be the driving tool in moderating poster quality... meaning that at the end of the day YOU control what kind of forum this is.
As long as the haters don't force people out, there are some discussions happening that I wouldn't stick my head up in to say anything as I'd get eaten alive. Personally I don't need that in my life, happy to have some fun out a serious discussion and leave the blood letting to others.
Using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic