world of weird creatures

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: world of weird creatures

Post by bolueeleh »

foosa in madagascar :lol:

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

does carpenter bees make honey?

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I don't think so, but hornets/wasps do, iirc, flb is the man to ask
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

bolueeleh wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:20 pm does carpenter bees make honey?

They have very small individual nests so they probably just feed nectar straight to the larva? I had one living in the bamboo frame that held the chain link netting that stopped monkeys getting onto my balcony. I had seen the big black bee go in and out of that hole for months. But one day I went up the ladder to adjust the netting and forgot, so I pulled myself up by putting my hand over bbb's hole. The fucker was none to happy and came out to the door and stung me. It was a bit painful and made my finger swell to double size but it went down within a couple of hours. The bbb didn't leave a stinger embedded in me so I think it survived.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:08 pm They have very small individual nests so they probably just feed nectar straight to the larva? I had one living in the bamboo frame that held the chain link netting that stopped monkeys getting onto my balcony. I had seen the big black bee go in and out of that hole for months. But one day I went up the ladder to adjust the netting and forgot, so I pulled myself up by putting my hand over bbb's hole. The fucker was none to happy and came out to the door and stung me. It was a bit painful and made my finger swell to double size but it went down within a couple of hours. The bbb didn't leave a stinger embedded in me so I think it survived.
Uncle Goggle says only female bees sting, and other than honeybees most varieties don't die after stinging. Good to know, as these ones are cute! I'll bet there are at least a few Japanese folk who'd keep them as pets.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:38 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:08 pm They have very small individual nests so they probably just feed nectar straight to the larva? I had one living in the bamboo frame that held the chain link netting that stopped monkeys getting onto my balcony. I had seen the big black bee go in and out of that hole for months. But one day I went up the ladder to adjust the netting and forgot, so I pulled myself up by putting my hand over bbb's hole. The fucker was none to happy and came out to the door and stung me. It was a bit painful and made my finger swell to double size but it went down within a couple of hours. The bbb didn't leave a stinger embedded in me so I think it survived.
Uncle Goggle says only female bees sting, and other than honeybees most varieties don't die after stinging. Good to know, as these ones are cute! I'll bet there are at least a few Japanese folk who'd keep them as pets.
And a few Chinese that would eat them.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Stroppy, I doubt you would like carpenter bees...they are called that because they bore holes for nests in wood...
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

I was in the mountains of Costa Rica years ago when this thing flew out of the jungle and landed on my arm, I was about to knock it off but was afraid it might bite me, it just chilled on my arm and I realized it was harmless, it was around 4-5 inches(10cm?) long.

------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic