Cellphone charging cord

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Cellphone charging cord

Post by that genius »

taabarang wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:54 am Thank you both Beaker and Stroppy, I'll explode both options.
I sincerely hope not. :wink:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

And to think I proofread and corrected once.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Your battery is DC, the charger needs AC, I think that is your basic problem

Not sure if a step up transformer from DC 12v to AC 220v is available, but pretty sure you are not the first guy in Cambodia with this problem. Local Joe at the nearest electrical/battery shop can probably help you.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

that genius wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:33 am Your battery is DC, the charger needs AC, I think that is your basic problem

Not sure if a step up transformer from DC 12v to AC 220v is available, but pretty sure you are not the first guy in Cambodia with this problem. Local Joe at the nearest electrical/battery shop can probably help you.
No, charger out put is 5v DC
If he is using a 12v battery then he is also using a 12v charger which puts out the same 5v DC
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Then why are they burning?

Surely there is a transformer within the charger geared to AC input?

It doesn't make sense that we plug a charger into 220V AC and % v DC comes out with no transformer in-between.

At least I think not...;)
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

???
Last edited by beaker on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

that genius wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:55 am Then why are they burning?

Surely there is a transformer within the charger geared to AC input?

It doesn't make sense that we plug a charger into 220V AC and % v DC comes out with no transformer in-between.

At least I think not...;)
The cheap cords have a small wire diameter it's the connecting and disconnecting that breaks the wires at the small end of the connector

The charger has a rectifier it's an electrical device that converts AC alternating current, which periodically reverses direction, to DC direct current, which flows in only one direction.

Then it can be regulated to the desired 5v DC

Since he already is supplying DC then all he needs to do is step it down to 5v so he would use an automotive charger.

Every time you manipulate electricity you loose energy usually to heat. When using solar panels 12V you never if at all possible want to use an inverter (12v DC to 220v AC) they waste a lot. Always use 12v DC appliances most are available like TV's and stereo equipment. For refrigeration solar is way too expensive to purchase adapted for solar fridges use gas fridges for that. For lighting use LED"S
jimi hendrix
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I think what you are calling a transformer is what the locals call an inverter, which is what I use. The cords don't born out immediately, but after 5-8 uses on an average.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Maybe I didn't make the set up clear enough
The battery alone is hooked up to the solar panel, when it is fully charged, I carry it home and connect the full battery to an inverter which has sockets for the phone plug. I hope the clarification helps.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

taabarang wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:30 am I think what you are calling a transformer is what the locals call an inverter, which is what I use. The cords don't born out immediately, but after 5-8 uses on an average.
Inverter is a box that steps 12V DC from the batter to 220/230V AC so you can plug regular mains plugs in.

Maybe the phone charger you are using is faulty and sending spikes causing the cables to fry? Have you tried a different phone charger? Could also damage your phone if it's faulty btw. A Filipino chick in AU died when a cheap arse charger she was using shorted and sent 230V into her earphones. Tip: don't use earphones when phone is charging.

Does the inverter have a dedicated USB output? Some do, just plug the USB cable into that. Otherwise try a different charger.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic