To tip or not to tip... or should it be banned?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: To tip or not to tip... or should it be banned?

Post by OrangeDragon »

So then is my description of the scene out of line with the description of the scene you're referring to? Because from the description on the site you gave me...
"Fly-on-the-wall series following real-life police officers. Sgt Tom tries to cope with revellers under the influence of beer and pot, before a drunk tourist slashes his tyres!"

It's the exact same show... they renamed it for the UK market (as is often done) as I said... and you keep denying it like what you know can be the only truth. Here, here's a link to Se1Ep1 of Vegas Strip... watch it and tell me it's not the show you're talking about. Because I've watched both links, yours and mine, and it's the same show. Black cop, some guys slash his tires... sound about right?

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/play ... 82B49D9205

So...
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

UKJ wrote: So no, it wasn't sad for me to say the take down was real, and you have just admitted it. So you called me sad for no reason. You mentioned the other contestant based shows to discredit a show, you now admit shows real takedowns, like I said.
FAF you watch the x factor. I won't call it sad though! I wouldn't watch BB or the x factor if Sgt Tom was forcing me with his tazer.
I said it probably was, and that guy had it coming if that wasn't all staged. You don't grab a cop from behind. I also notice a lot of frame cuts... with stuff in between missing... what happened there? Surely, since you can fully judge the situation from this video, you know... right? It's entertainment... they only show the "hot" bits. The guy got all that treatment from resisting arrest, and even later apologises to them for having done it, lol.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

OrangeDragon wrote:
UKJ wrote: So no, it wasn't sad for me to say the take down was real, and you have just admitted it. So you called me sad for no reason. You mentioned the other contestant based shows to discredit a show, you now admit shows real takedowns, like I said.
FAF you watch the x factor. I won't call it sad though! I wouldn't watch BB or the x factor if Sgt Tom was forcing me with his tazer.
I said it probably was, and that guy had it coming if that wasn't all staged. You don't grab a cop from behind. I also notice a lot of frame cuts... with stuff in between missing... what happened there? Surely, since you can fully judge the situation from this video, you know... right? It's entertainment... they only show the "hot" bits. The guy got all that treatment from resisting arrest, and even later apologises to them for having done it, lol.
Remember, Sgt Tom said that heat effects drunk tourists, and I assume he knows how much free drink is on offer in Vegas. So you would think they would bear that in mind when dealing with them.
That was one incident. I gave you a link to a guy being taken down from behind by the neck, for not freezing the instant Sgt Tom said stop. He isn't a dog, he is a human being with rights ( I assume). The offence ---- pushing his mate in what sounded like horseplay on his 21st birthday. He was STROLLING away. Maybe he didn't hear Sgt Tom. It ended up with him in agony on the ground with his arms up his back in handcuffs. It's up to LVP how they want to Police tourists, but I can't think of any other police force in the 1st world who treats tourists so poorly. They escalate trivialities into take downs. I've only seen a few clips of the show, but from what I've seen, each of these situations could have been handled differently. And people say they won't be back.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Clearly you're watching it with bias in your eyes... so you'll see what you want it to confirm for you without at all considering how much the officers lives are in danger when surrounded by a drunk mob pretty constantly, and as such how fast they have to get any situation under control. And those people who won't be back make up MAYBE a full percentage point of the tourist crowd. Of course, it wouldn't be much of a show if they actually showed you the day to day activities... they edit in the exciting bits and leave the rest out. In that initial arrest for example, they edit out where the guy is trying to get the other drunks to help him... and you ignored the part where he's being arrested for that and refuses to cooperate with the police rather than follow their instructions. Nothing that happened there was at all police brutality or over the top... when you're dealing with drunks in large groups, you either take control of the situation or face a potential mob.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

wow, you guys really love debating the merits of tipping. :o
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

OrangeDragon wrote:Clearly you're watching it with bias in your eyes... so you'll see what you want it to confirm for you without at all considering how much the officers lives are in danger when surrounded by a drunk mob pretty constantly, and as such how fast they have to get any situation under control. And those people who won't be back make up MAYBE a full percentage point of the tourist crowd. Of course, it wouldn't be much of a show if they actually showed you the day to day activities... they edit in the exciting bits and leave the rest out. In that initial arrest for example, they edit out where the guy is trying to get the other drunks to help him... and you ignored the part where he's being arrested for that and refuses to cooperate with the police rather than follow their instructions. Nothing that happened there was at all police brutality or over the top... when you're dealing with drunks in large groups, you either take control of the situation or face a potential mob.
I get it, that they aren't showing the dull daily routines. But that's irrelevant.

Why would I be biased against the LVP, when I watched clips as I am interested in Vegas as I'm a poker player? Why do you think I know about tips etc, or bought a book about the WSOP if I'm not interested in Vegas. I think you are being paranoid. I am interested in Vegas, but wouldn't expevt to be spoken to by a policeman who thinks he's in the gestapo.

There are drunk mobs all over 1st world city centres very weekend outnumbering the Police. Some Euro resorts, unfortunately have to put up with drunk hordes of Brits causing mayhem, who probably deserve to be taken down, if not water cannoned lol. . They don't treat them like the LVP do though. Could you maybe name a country that the Police escalate minor incidents like they do? And do you really think that's the best way to deal with minor incidents?
I thought police were trained in being tactful, and not provoking incidents, especially in front of a mob who could potentially turn on you if you are rolling about the ground tasering a guy.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

Soi Dog wrote:wow, you guys really love debating the merits of tipping. :o
:D

I tried to get it back on topic
UKJ wrote:So do Americans think it's right to underpay a section of the labour market by so much?

Or tell us why dealers are tipped at poker tables, but not roulette tables? Bag packers aren't tipped, but barstaff are? ( unless it's seen as purely a bribe to jump the queue later)

And is it ok to demand 2% - 8% of a persons winnings, which is probably ten thousand dollars +. in todays higher prize money? And dish that money out without explanation. Would that money be taxed? Would the winner be able to claim it as an expense?

Maybe people are scared to disagree with a certain person, who will argue black is white. Vegas must never be criticized!
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

I didn't read the whole thread, but it looks to have been derailed somewhere.

As far as tipping, and the staff needing those tips to survive, it's all about greedy restaurant owners. At the current prices of restaurant food in the US,(without raising prices) 1 waiter/waitress can easily deliver several hundred dollars worth of food to tables in 1 hour. So the owner should be able to spare 10$ out of those hundreds that he's making every hour.
Ttr
Expatriate

Post by Ttr »

I thought that tipping was all about minimising tax liabilities, hence providing a more credible business model.

:lol:
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

0to60 wrote:I didn't read the whole thread, but it looks to have been derailed somewhere.

As far as tipping, and the staff needing those tips to survive, it's all about greedy restaurant owners. At the current prices of restaurant food in the US,(without raising prices) 1 waiter/waitress can easily deliver several hundred dollars worth of food to tables in 1 hour. So the owner should be able to spare 10$ out of those hundreds that he's making every hour.
You are aware the most restuarants in the US actually fail right? It's not like its some sure fire easy business model. Paying more wages would likely only increase that amount... leaving more people unemployed in the process.

Curious where you get your figures though, or is it just assumption?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic