Cellphone charging cord

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Cellphone charging cord

Post by taabarang »

This definitely not a high tech problem, but one that has been getting into my skin and nibbling away at my wallet too. The problem is that the cords I buy to charge my cell phone battery burn out very quickly.

I live off the grid and use a car battery that has been filled via solar power to charge my phones.
Does anyone have a suggestion of a brand to buy or know how to fix the fxxxing cords. In fact has anyone experienced a similar problem? Each cord lasts about 3 days to one week. Thanks for your help.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Cellphone charging cord

Post by Captain Bonez »

taabarang wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 pm This definitely not a high tech problem, but one that has been getting into my skin and nibbling away at my wallet too. The problem is that the cords I buy to charge my cell phone battery burn out very quickly.

I live off the grid and use a car battery that has been filled via solar power to charge my phones.
Does anyone have a suggestion of a brand to buy or know how to fix the fxxxing cords. In fact has anyone experienced a similar problem? Each cord lasts about 3 days to one week. Thanks for your help.
Maybe buy a legit charger that costs more than 10,000 riel and don't charge off a car battery?
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

maybe use a car charger that steps the 12V down to 5V for your phone?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:34 pm
taabarang wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 pm This definitely not a high tech problem, but one that has been getting into my skin and nibbling away at my wallet too. The problem is that the cords I buy to charge my cell phone battery burn out very quickly.

Maybe buy a legit charger that costs more than 10,000 riel and don't charge off a car battery?
What do you mean by a legit charger? A power pack? And how do I charge that if not off a battery?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:41 pm maybe use a car charger that steps the 12V down to 5V for your phone?
I use an inverter between the battery and the phone, I do not charge directly from the battery.
Are we on the same page or are we talking about two different apparatuses.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Taa, have a look for a cheap solar phone charger ... cost a few more dollars up front, but will save you money quickly if you're charging off the grid.

Edit: One of the original CEO posters works in relocation villages (among other things). They used to provide villagers with solar-powered radio/MP3 players that were also night lights and phone chargers. I don't know where they got them, but they were cheap enough. Might be worth asking around.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Taa, have a look for a cheap solar phone charger ... cost a few more dollars up front, but will save you money quickly if you're charging off the grid.

Hey Stroppy, good to see you online here again, missed your wicked sense of humor. Anyway can that charger be bought locally and if so where?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

taabarang wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:20 pm Taa, have a look for a cheap solar phone charger ... cost a few more dollars up front, but will save you money quickly if you're charging off the grid.

Hey Stroppy, good to see you online here again, missed your wicked sense of humor. Anyway can that charger be bought locally and if so where?
Hey, friend.

I'm confident it can be bought here but honestly don't know where. They look like a slightly cheaper version of this product on Amazon, and I believe you can get one with a hand-crank for charging at night:

Hopefully the image will jog someone's memory, or you can show it to enough locals to hit the jackpot. When all else fails, there's Psar Oressay! (Yes, I know that's quite a trip for you)
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I had the same problem the type they sell are cheap with thin wires.
I finally ordered some from gearbest.com they are much more robust and fabric covered.

They have them Apple and the type used by Android etc.

here's an example search the site for the type you want
https://www.gearbest.com/cables-adapter/pp_213359.html
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Thank you both Beaker and Stroppy, I'll explode both options.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic