Australian on a Motorbike Runs Over a Brit on a Bicycle in Koh Kong, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Australian on a Motorbike Runs Over a Brit on a Bicycle in Koh Kong, Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:23 pm
King Keil wrote:Sandals and no helmet. What can you do?
And it looks like the guy on the bicycle is standing, and the guy on the motorcycle is down for the count. Life can be so unfair.

It's not that surprising. Motorbikes are heavy but unwieldy. There are some very experienced drivers out there, but anyone from a ten-year-old kid to a huge land whale can easily twist an accelerator and go really fast on a flat, whether they know how to control it or not. You can go to sleep driving a car, I've almost done this before. It doesn't slow down just because you fall asleep. Bicycles are quite a different thing, they rely on you having a certain amount of strength and co-ordination. Also I agree with the sandals thing, your toes shouldn't be exposed like that when they are the first contact with rough ground.
I made a real mess of my big toe just by walking into a piece of exposed rebar a few years ago. Cover those toes!
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Australian on a Motorbike Runs Over a Brit on a Bicycle in Koh Kong, Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:evil: I know the motor driver,nice guy but should not hold a drivers license. He used to have a car in snooky,moved to koh Kong when the cantonese invasion started,last time he was in pp he was recovering from a motorcycle accident.
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yeah, I know Tony from years ago. Didn't know he was still down there.

Nice fellow. Looks older than his age.

A knock like that won't do him any good at all.
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

I was walking along soi bukhao at Xmas, and 2 auzzies on rented scooters went past. 1 of them suddenly lost control of the bike - it was like a 110cc bucking bronco! Turns out he was sober, experienced, sane.... he just let his mind wander and lost control. He slammed into a very angry European pedestrian in front of us, and for what ever reason did not release the throttle, so the onslaught kept going for maybe 8 seconds. 8 seconds of continuously crashing into stuff and people. Amazing.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:42 pm Yeah, I know Tony from years ago. Didn't know he was still down there.

Nice fellow. Looks older than his age.

A knock like that won't do him any good at all.
There getting a regular occurrence
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
peterteach
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by peterteach »

peterteach wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:09 pm I was the one on the bicycle
He hit me head-on which was not a pleasant experience, especially as he was in the wrong lane (going against the traffic and at speed) :dragonchase:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

peterteach wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:53 pm
peterteach wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:09 pm I was the one on the bicycle
He hit me head-on which was not a pleasant experience, especially as he was in the wrong lane (going against the traffic and at speed) :dragonchase:
Must have been a shock for both of you. And think of all the chancers it had to be two westerners involved in the incident. Anyways hoping you are OK Peter, how is the trip to China going? Hope Tony is getting good treatment and will be out of hospital soon.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic