looks like this might be a deadly Songkran

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

looks like this might be a deadly Songkran

Post by phuketrichard »

every year they say they will do this and do that to try an stop the carnage, but whatever they come up with, it never works.

Drinking, throwing water, speeding, ignoring the law..... all add up to accidents...
Thirty-nine killed, 461 injured on first of Songkran’s ‘7 deadly days’

NATIONWIDE: Thirty-nine people were killed and 461 injured in 447 road accidents across the country yesterday (Apr 11), the first of the “Seven deadly days” of the Songkran festival.
Drink-driving was the cause of 40.49% of the crashes, followed by speeding at 26.62%, Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsuwat said today (Apr 12), citing a report by the road safety centre of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

Most of the accidents – 81.96% – involved motorcycles, and 61.30% occurred on main roads. The peak time for crashes was between 4pm and 8pm, said Mr Weerasak.
Authorities have set up 2,031 road checkpoints manned by a total of 65,413 police, soldiers, officials and volunteers. A total of 678,566 vehicles were stopped for inspection, with 128,260 people facing action for traffic violations. Of them, a total of 35,582 people failed to wear crash helmets.

More than 3,000 people were arrested for drink-drinking and 146 vehicles impounded yesterday, the first-day of the anti-drink driving measures during the Songkran festival.
https://www.thephuketnews.com/thirty-ni ... g4Sp9C2.97
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: looks like this might be a deadly Songkran

Post by yong »

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

last night ,soi Bangla.
NO,I was NOT there..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:46 pm every year they say they will do this and do that to try an stop the carnage, but whatever they come up with, it never works.

Drinking, throwing water, speeding, ignoring the law..... all add up to accidents...
Non story that gets regurgitated and heavy press ad nauseum every year. Take away “ throwing water “ from your quote above and you have the same situation for the other 349 deadly days of the year on Thai roads. Songkran is always headline grabbing but in reality is no different from normal.

I actually quite like it not because I participate but because Pattaya is usually quite peaceful away from the obvious spots as migrant workers return home and a lot of foreign residents go elsewhere for a week. I travelled to Chiang Rai last weekend before it started and will be travelling to Korat next weekend when it’s finished for my Thai New Year holiday. Perfect
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Maybe they could try a less subtle approach like in Australia.

that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I've just been on the road for an hour or so around the outskirts of Phnom Penh.

Stay sober, and be very careful, lots of drunk yobbos in big cars trying their best to kill people
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Just back from the province, some interesting incidents on the road.

A long stretch (maybe 5km) of the road past Steung Meanchey near Prey Sar turnoff is without lights, very tricky for motorcycles
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

It must be very difficult for those motorcyclists that travel without turning on their lights because they believe it is saving them gas.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 am It must be very difficult for those motorcyclists that travel without turning on their lights because they believe it is saving them gas.
Isn't it Illegal in Cambodia to ride with ur lights on in the daytime?

THE road death toll has reached 248, with 2,557 injured in 2,449 accidents during the first four days of the so-called seven dangerous Songkran days, the Road Safety Centre announced yesterday.

The figures marked an across-the-board increase over the same period last year, which saw 226 deaths, 2,457 injured and 2,385 road accidents.

Apart from seizing 5,019 cars/trucks and 2,048 motorcycles from April 11 to 14 in an effort to enforce drunk-driving laws, the authorities also seized driver’s licences from 16,588 motorists and motorcyclists.

Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

The only country in the world that I know about that you get fined for driving with the lights on during the day but not at night. I got pulled over and fined $1.25 after I had my bike washed and the lights were accidentally turned on without me knowing.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic