Solo trip to Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Solo trip to Phnom Penh

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:30 pm
Dcracken wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:39 pm Thanks for the advice, Armchair. If I decided to check out street 130 do you have any good recommendations for a newbie? Again, somewhere thats not going to pad my bill, with more honest ladies, etc.
Ponytails, Honeypot, Angry Birds. The owner is a regular (and helpful) poster on this forum. Those bars will be a good starting point but feel free to graduate quickly to anywhere that takes your fancy. You won't have any problems if you behave sensibly.
I have never had a bill padded anywhere, you just need to be aware of the bill you are running up. Some bars keep the bill behind the counter which can be a bad sign and it makes it more difficult for you to keep tabs. Candy, 69, Butterfly and Barbados all do that. Short-changing is more common but if it happens and you point it out immediately, you will be refunded. If you pay with a 50 or 100, point out the number to the girl you give it to, just in case they are tempted to short change you. A bigger problem is getting suckered into buying too many lady drinks. As for honest bargirls....
They will be honest in the sense of not stealing from you. As for honest as in not lying to you, no.

If you want a bar that is less full on, try Larrys on 110.
yeah i dont recall having any bills padded, but i usually check my bill every time they put it in the bin, 1. to keep a mental note of how much im spending, 2. so theyre not tempted to play any games,

i do remember once, think it was early morning at helicopter bar or something (i was on my way home but a ladyfriend flagged me over to come in for a nightcap),
so i went in and ordered a beer, put the dollar fifty in the bin and went and sat outside with my ladyfriend,
5 minutes later one of the girls that was inside playing cards (topless i might add) comes out kicking off saying i tried paying my $1.50 bill with a 1000r and a 500r, i kicked off as i was pretty sober and knew for a fact what i had paid, and that she had obviously switched the notes with her card money
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:03 pmWhen I first came over here and was doing a lot of work in the province all the village kids used to yell Batista at me every time they saw me.
When I first started travelling to Indonesia parents would approach me excitedly and ask if they could take a picture of me with their kids. After this happened enough times to be weird, I asked one who they thought I was. "Oh, The Rock, Dwayne Johnson!" to which I could only reply "Whu...?"
armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:30 pm If you pay with a 50 or 100, point out the number to the girl you give it to, just in case they are tempted to short change you.
Actually this good advice doesn't just apply to lady bars - too many friends have paid with a 50 or 100 dollar bill, only to have it substituted for a fake, which the house then points out and threatens to call the cops. So we ALWAYS point out the last three digits on the serial number of the big notes (in a friendly way, of course) to show we're not noobs.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:47 pm
kiwiincambodia wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:03 pmWhen I first came over here and was doing a lot of work in the province all the village kids used to yell Batista at me every time they saw me.
When I first started travelling to Indonesia parents would approach me excitedly and ask if they could take a picture of me with their kids. After this happened enough times to be weird, I asked one who they thought I was. "Oh, The Rock, Dwayne Johnson!" to which I could only reply "Whu...?"
armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:30 pm If you pay with a 50 or 100, point out the number to the girl you give it to, just in case they are tempted to short change you.
Actually this good advice doesn't just apply to lady bars - too many friends have paid with a 50 or 100 dollar bill, only to have it substituted for a fake, which the house then points out and threatens to call the cops. So we ALWAYS point out the last three digits on the serial number of the big notes (in a friendly way, of course) to show we're not noobs.
i was in a KTV down KTVstreet a few months ago and had them do a switcharoo with a fake $10 note, after a heated 10 minute argument in Khmer i won my 10,000r change

first time i had ever encountered it
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 pm
i was in a KTV down KTVstreet a few months ago and had them do a switcharoo with a fake $10 note, after a heated 10 minute argument in Khmer i won my 10,000r change

Happens a fair bit if my contacts are anything to go buy. Mind you, you are probably a little more visually intimidating than those I know who've been scammed this way. Apparently it's happening more with $20s nowadays, too.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Dcracken
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Dcracken »

Sounds good. Any thoughts on nagaworld, I know there more pricey but would it be tpossibke to take freelancer from darlin darlin back to amanjay via tuk tuk?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Dcracken wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:49 pm Sounds good. Any thoughts on nagaworld, I know there more pricey but would it be tpossibke to take freelancer from darlin darlin back to amanjay via tuk tuk?
take them where ever you want... youre paying! :plus1: :beer3:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:30 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 pm

Happens a fair bit if my contacts are anything to go buy. Mind you, you are probably a little more visually intimidating than those I know who've been scammed this way. Apparently it's happening more with $20s nowadays, too.
only had 1 other similar situation, at some Khmer mafia owned/protected KTV down KTV street out near PP Airport, that nearly turned a bit messy, and being so far out of town was a little unnerving
Dcracken
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Dcracken »

I know Jamie just wasn’t sure if the girls at darlin darlin were more
Likely to go too far for short time
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Jesus mate for the money they ask at Darlin Darlin it had better be ST or LT, YOUR choice! Or so I have heard.

Johnny
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic